Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Are battery issues for the Kx still relevant?

I picked up a Kx (sn: 352) and looking through these forums I found a lot of posts complaining about battery issues before and after the firmware update. Are these issues still relevant?

Which batteries would I have the most success with?

06-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You shouln't have a problem after firmware update. The only battery you should use are Sanyo Eneloops, unless you like throwig your money away. You can pick them at Costco or Amazon. Dont forget a smart charger like this one.Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Home & Kitchen
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed. Using the most recent firmware, and using eneloops, battery problems are pretty much a thing of the past with the K-x.
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Any firmware higher than the original v1.0 plus Sanyo Eneloops plus a decent "smart" charger and there are no battery problems for your K-x. I still use my K-x regularly even though I've owned a K-5 for a year, it's a fantastic camera still.

06-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #5

I use neither Sanyo batteries or a Smart Charger and still have no issues with the Kx, only issues with the batteries themselves being poo.

My 2 main sets are Duracell & Maxell brand. On a full charge they will normally last about 3-4 hours of continuous shooting. I do have other sets but they have been recharged so many times that they don't hold for very long. I typically use them in my flashes now.

You get what you pay for so, buy the better batteries and not the cheapos if you get a K-x or a K-30 and plan to use AA batts.
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have three sets of Eneloops, and the most recent firmware update, and still have battery problems with my K-x. And it isn't because of the onboard flash because I have a Pentax AF360FGZ.
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have three sets of Eneloops
What battery charger do you use? The charger has to know about eneloops (ideally) to do a good charging job. Also ideally, it isn't one of those fast-chargers.

06-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sanyo's charger. I got this when I ordered my first set of Eneloops.
06-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #9

I had used some off-brand rechargeable batteries and they were OK even though I haven't upgraded my v 1.0 firmware yet. These days I only use lithium batteries since I bought a lot of them - with a very big discount - thanks to my brother who works for Best Buy.
06-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The stock Sanyo charger is horrible, it's a dumb charger that is unable to fully charge all the batteries. Charger will only charge as much as the least flat battery but K-x will only run as long as the most flat battery will go (which is never fully charged). It's a vicious circle.
06-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the input. Would eneloops have any problem with shooting video, should I look into rechargeable lithiums? I bought the Kx as a video camera because of the cheap lenses in my area, but I didn't realize it lacked a battery grip.

photolady when was your Kx made?

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
I had used some off-brand rechargeable batteries and they were OK even though I haven't upgraded my v 1.0 firmware yet. These days I only use lithium batteries since I bought a lot of them - with a very big discount - thanks to my brother who works for Best Buy.
Are those rechargeable or just one use?

Last edited by glosawesome; 06-14-2012 at 03:43 AM.
06-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Energizer & Kodak rechargeables in both of my K-x bodies & have never had a problem. I'm sure the Eneloops are great, but there are other perfectly acceptable batteries out there.
06-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The stock Sanyo charger is horrible, it's a dumb charger that is unable to fully charge all the batteries. Charger will only charge as much as the least flat battery but K-x will only run as long as the most flat battery will go (which is never fully charged). It's a vicious circle.
I also have an Enegizer charger model CHFCV, that I got for free with coupon. It's not the little one that comes with Energizer four pack of batteries. Would it be any better than the Sanyo charger? The Enegerize charges batteries in 15 to 18.5 hours.
06-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For some good info on batteries and chargers it is worth the time to look through the threads in the candlepowerforums Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included
06-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Early low battery indication

My K-x is up to the latest firmware... 1.13 is it? Anyhow, I have used various NiMh batteries and a smart charger with varying success. My K-x, even when set specifically to NiMh, tends to show low battery rather early. Just keep shooting until it says exhausted. Keep one or two extra sets around and you're good for the whole day.

PS - The K-x is a fantastic machine. It's really well above "entry level" by any standard. Because of it's rather weak AA filter it turns in virtually the same level of detail my K-5 does. Fantastic for B&W work.