Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you update your camera body and why?
Early Adopter 55.68%
Within the First Year 33.41%
Late Adopter @ the end of the model run 1011.36%
Only when I need new features / capabilities 4146.59%
0 to 1 years 11.14%
1 to 3 years 1921.59%
3 to 5 years 1719.32%
5+ years 1011.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm weak-willed and usually find a reason I really need the new model within the first year. No regrets, btw (except, perhaps, the K-7). We'll see what the next round brings.

06-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

In 2006 I got a D200 at work and last spring I got a K-r so that I had my own camera and could take just one set of lenses with me to cover both digital and film and also be able to swap lenses with my wife. The winter of 06-07 I bought her the K10D. it was only last month that she came to appreciate the benefits of the higher ISO with the newer cameras when she borrowed the K-r. We may get a K30 for either her or for myself and she gets the K-r or perhaps sell the K-r and buy two K30s.

So we do not have a regular schedule renewal and only buy for our needs. But I shoot my "serious" stuff mostly on film with the Hasselblad or large format. In addition I am able to borrow high end cameras like the D3 or D4 if really need be but not for commercial jobs. I do not understand upgrading with each release and do not see it in a business sense either as one would only add or replace equipment when one needs the extra features such as higher ISO or video.

The idea to get the K30 was while the edial of the K-r was not working but now that I sprayed it and it functions I feel less like I need to do so. Even then the idea was to get it next summer or consider the K5 replacement. Which ever I do get will be around for more than a couple of generations of Pentax cameras, I would rather spend the money on lenses or workshops/trips as well I do spend a couple of hundred each year minimum on film and then there is paper for the darkroom and the Epson plus alternative processes to consider. No worries about lack of photo related things to spend on.
06-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It'd have to be none of the above for me. The K-5 was my first DSLR. Used to use my dad's K1000 and used the same camera in photography class back when, like so many others have. I had taken several Canons along with a Nikon DSLR out for spins before buying my own camera but none won me over. They all had fiddly external controls and menus and all but my brother's 30D felt plasticky. I waited a long time to take the plunge and drop serious cash on a DSLR. I didn't want to be disappointed with such a high dollar purchase so I gravitated towards getting the latest and greatest available within my price range. This naturally led me to the K-5 and I haven't been at all disappointed. I do, however, generally feel more comfortable buying new when purchasing big ticket items. The question would have to be changed to bring in those new to DSLR. Something along the lines of: Did you start off with a new model or buy an older model? The survey would have to be completely different.
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I tend to put off body upgrades as long as I can bear. I upgraded to a k200d only when my istDL2 got stolen. Then I upgraded to K7 specifically for video (and to be truthful, because it's just a nice looking camera!) I'm not really in a huge rush to upgrade again; there are very few times I find my K7 lacking, and when I do, it's generally my fault rather than the camera (recovering grossly underexposed shots etc results in too much noise).

06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't actually upgrade. I bought my DL when the K10 was announced. I went from a K1000 to the *istDL . I got it from a person that had only had it about three months when the K10 was announced and he had to have it. It is still my only DSLR body. The K30 is making it very hard to keep it that way. It has the features I want that are missing in the DL. So for the first time I may upgrade in the next year or so.
I have added a couple of film SLR's since then. I honestly can't call that ugrading tho.
06-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Usually at the end of production. Changed that with the K-01, so I'll have to wait 18 months for the next top-line APSc end-of-life.
Olympus E20n 2003
K10D 2007 (I still use it regularly)
A40 2009 (which my wife appropriated immediately).
K-01 2012 (my only start-of-production purchase)

There was a whole lot of lenses bought and sold in between - and this doesn't count film cameras.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
06-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I entered the DSLR realm with the K-x because I really didn't have much faith in digital cameras when they first came out, at that time I had an ME Super that I owned since I was like 15 years old(i am now 47) my first "digital" was a P&S Pentax (because I still believed in the name brand) Optio S5i that still works to this day and still looks and functions like it is brand new, my daughter has inherited it and just loves it. After owning that point and shoot I purchased a Canon Elph 10 MP P&S (it is STILL a part of my camera bag) that I used the living hell out of, it takes great shots and is a real work horse of a P&S, I still wasn't sold on a DSLR camera yet. Then my shutterbug itch started to bite me and the K-x came out and I figured at that price I will at least give DSLRs a try, since the digital cameras were now above 10 MP I was more comfortable with the idea of having a DSLR. The K-x actually was given to me as a surprise by my wife on Christmas of 2010 and I really fell in love with how this little gem of a camera put out. after a year of using it I started to get a hankering for a camera with more usefull tools that would help simplify my shooting style and so I started looking at the K-5, I knew they were coming out with newer models this year but I am the type of person that buys the last run of a model because I believe that they most likely will have most of the "bugs" worked out of them. I just love using this camera and it will most likely be my last camera for a good while, I dont care WHAT may be coming out because this camera is taking care of my photographic needs and I think it will for a while to come.
I will most likely get another camera when they get the "bugs worked out of the new ones coming out but that will most likely be about four to five years down the road, until then I will be getting several useful lenses and using these two awesome cameras at hand. To me the K-x and the K-5 compliment each other.

06-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the K10D in October 2007. I went over three years January 2011) before I bought a second body (K-5).
Only now have I finally upgraded the K10D to another K-5.
Like Monochrome, I got the K-01 in a heartbeat (possibly the first in Australia?) in early March, because the new capabilities intrigued me.

The K-30 doesn't tempt me, and who knows about the next generation of full size offerings?
06-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Bought my k10 in 2008 and k5 last month.
The k10 still gets some action as a back-up.

Before that, I was using a canon 50e and a Centon DF300 For about 10 years prior to buying my k10.
I also have a little P&S Casio from about 2006.
06-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my typical approach is only when there is a technical advantage after 2-3 years. the only exception to this was getting a K7 because my K10 failed the week after the K7 got released
06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 was my first Pentax DSLR. Had a D90 before that....both cameras are more capable than I can take advantage of as a photographer. It would take a lot for me to swap out bodies for the foreseeable future. However, I would like a small, pocketable, fixed lens p&s as a carry everywhere camera so I can leave my K-5 at home once in a while. Fixed lens to curb LBA of course
The irony is that whenever I save enough for such a camera, I end up buying another lens for my K-5, LOL.
06-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends...

It's TIME or MONEY for me.

So...

Have an abundance of TIME and high SKILL comfort? Wait.

Have an abundance of MONEY and DESIRE move out of the ol' comfort zone into something new? Buy, now.

Plus, there's never more time and one can always make more money.

...my decision tree...

Cheers...
06-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I have a K-x and it's one remarkable camera. I could be wrong but I think the K-x lit the entry level in flames and produced the most "wow" when it was released (and still does)...until the K-5. I don't really have the "immediate urge" to upgrade it but the only reason why I'm considering the upgrade to a K5 or even K30 is because of weather sealing...I haven't made up my mind! Although I have used my K-x in pouring rain using plastic grocery bag to protect it.
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I got the K20D, my first SLR, in the summer of 2008. Then I bought the K-X when it arrived in stores sence I needed some better ISO capacity for the long dark winter.

Sold them both when I got the K-5, Early adobter with stain problems and everything.

I do miss that I sold My K20D, something with the colours from that one, they did something right with the samsung sensor in my eyes

But I dont know if I will jump on the follower of the K-5, I got my eyes on a Pentax 67 or 645 insted
06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

i bought the ds at the beginning of it's run, then the k10 at the end, the k7 i bought at the very end of it's run just as the k5 came out. As tempting as a k5 is, i'll likely end up with the next model or the ff if it comes out , in late 2013 early 2014 (depending on whether i spend all the money on lenses). Reality is almost all the time (even in low light club shooting) i can live (mostly) happily with the K7 the iso is the only thing that really calls to me on the k5

Edit - Oh I almost forgot I picked up an Oly E300 2 lens kit for peanuts between the ds and the k10 ....just couldn't pass it up rarely use it