Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you update your camera body and why?
Early Adopter 55.68%
Within the First Year 33.41%
Late Adopter @ the end of the model run 1011.36%
Only when I need new features / capabilities 4146.59%
0 to 1 years 11.14%
1 to 3 years 1921.59%
3 to 5 years 1719.32%
5+ years 1011.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than moving from a Sony bridge camera to a K10D in 2007, I've never upgraded. I'm hoping to change that within the next year or so, though, because I'd like to add video capabilities. I'm waiting to see what other cameras Pentax has in the works before I decide.

06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bought the K10 when my girl was born...
Bought the K20 for its better high-iso.
Bought K7 for video, and the Kx for its better high-iso.
Bought the K5 to replace the K7-Kx duet...

But now, upgrading to the next gen would take some serious contender for my K5 to be presented at photokina, as my K5 is everything I want in a camera (except for a FF camera, as nearly all my lenses are FF!).
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Bought the K10 when my girl was born...
Bought the K20 for its better high-iso.
Bought K7 for video, and the Kx for its better high-iso.
Bought the K5 to replace the K7-Kx duet...

But now, upgrading to the next gen would take some serious contender for my K5 to be presented at photokina, as my K5 is everything I want in a camera (except for a FF camera, as nearly all my lenses are FF!).
you are pentax's dream client
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been at the forefront of owning almost all of Pentax's DSLRs... so I'm looking forward to the K-5 replacement. And I've never bought into the rationale of buying a camera close to end of life perhaps because I've almost always got my cameras a little cheaper when they were launched. Yawn... I'm tired of my K-5 already...

06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #35

New feature & Money (most important) ^^
06-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to do a camera a year, always for new features. Got a K100D after the K110D and K100D Super were announced because it was the cheapest DSLR I could find - little did I know what I had stumbled on. The next year, I wanted to go on a big trip and my wife wanted live view. I got a Canon Rebel XS because it had LV and 10MP, and I used it for a year. While the pictures this camera took weren't as good IQ-wise as the K100D, they accelerated my interest in photography. When the K-x was being blown out at Sam's Club for $450, I knew it was a winner, and I sold my Canon kit for about what I paid for it a year earlier, and came back into the fold.

The K-x cemented me firmly in Pentax. I've kept it for 2 years and I have taken some of the best pictures of my life with it. The only ones that rival it are the ones from my K100d.

Now, I'm looking at the next 3 years. I'm sick of not having visible AF points, I'd like a Pentaprism VF, faster burst, 2 dials, and a larger camera (I have big hands). While the K-30 is hitting all the right notes in theory, The K-5 with an extended warranty is looking more like the camera that'll keep me happy for 3 or more years.
06-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #37
Pentaxian

After 4 years of heavy use, my K10D began to show some problems. Nothing that can't be fixed but I began to make plans to purchase a second body as a backup. I was considering a used K7. I came into some unexpected cash last fall and the K5 made it's first dip under $1000 around the same time so without much hesitation, I bought one. No regrets at all and having 2 camera bodies available has been an added benefit also. My Katz Eye equipped K10D is home to much of my manual glass these days. Since I still use and like my K10D, I feel more like I expanded my capabilities rather than upgraded. I probably won't be buying another body for a few years unless something completely breaks or gets damaged.

When I first bought my K10D, it was my first DSLR and I figured I would keep it as my camera forever as I was still shooting film with a Spotmatic I bought in the 70's. What I didn't realize at the time was the amount of photos I would soon be taking. Once I broke out of the film mentality, I would shoot hundreds of shots at a time, bracketing a lot, which soon required the upgrade to a larger hard drive. Our digital cameras get a lot of use, far more than I ever shot film. I can honestly estimate than my first year with the K10D had me shooting more shots than a lifetime with the Spotmatic and I became much more realistic in how long I expected my camera body to last.
06-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #38
Pentaxian

When i used P&Ss as my only cameras I upgraded every two or three years. Now I've had my K200D for three years and no upgrade is required or in sight, unless it breaks. The upper range are too expensive for me and the lower range is always missing at least one deal-breaker feature that I'm not willing to do without. In the case of the K30 it's the battery grip.

When I have enough money to get a new camera I spend it on a lens instead, and I'm very happy with that setup.