Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you update your camera body and why?
Early Adopter 55.68%
Within the First Year 33.41%
Late Adopter @ the end of the model run 1011.36%
Only when I need new features / capabilities 4146.59%
0 to 1 years 11.14%
1 to 3 years 1921.59%
3 to 5 years 1719.32%
5+ years 1011.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How often do you update bodies

With the new crop of Pentax bodies now coming to us, there is a set of questions that come to mind. How often do you update your camera body and why? There are a lot of older camera bodies still producing some very fantastic images here on the Forum. Are you always a new adopter, waiting for some specific functionality, or both?

06-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the K-x when it was new, I upgraded to the K-5 now because I could afford it and I got tired of waiting for the K-30 announcement. I probably won't upgrade for several years, only if there is a full-frame and it falls to ~$1,000.
06-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I usually wait awhile and buy a used body, use it for awhile, sell it, buy another used body. I don't really need all the cool new features that new bodies offer, but I like having the experience of owning/having owned them.

The only body I've brought new was K-x and I have also gone through a used K-r, K20d, K-7, and K-5.
06-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like to buy the first of a new generation and keep them.
*ist-D,K10,K7.
In the case of the K7, I upgraded to a K5 and have never looked back.
On paper the K7 doesn't appear too different, but in real life, they are almost 2 different cameras!
I have 2 K5s now, and I probably will add another.

06-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Upgraded from K10, K20, K7 and then to K5. The K5 suits my needs so well that I doubt I will upgrade for a couple of years. But one never knows what the next generation brings to the table. I don't really have an interest in full frame.
06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I went *ist , K20D, K-5. Missing a model really doesn't make any difference. It's more about the time thing to me. I want 3 to four years out of a body. Even if they cam tout with an FF, it would be the same.
06-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Banned

I updated to K-7 and K-5 on pre-order. I took K-5 Silver Limited Edition and K-01 yellow on pre-order (not that I need it, but just because I liked them both). I probably also will do that for a full frame camera and a K-5 follower camera.

06-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
bought a K-x long time ago going to upgrade in the next 12 months (except if i see something astonishing at Photokina, and decide to wait for it ...), because i need WR.
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought the K10D as my first dSLR in 2008. Added a refurbed K100D as a spare body and for M42 lenses in 2009.

My wife confiscated the K100D, so that was a good excuse to add the K5 in 2011 (early adopter in this case). That would have been the end-of-the-line till one of them dies, but my wife starts complaining about the lowlight performance of the K100D (or rather does not want to use an external flash and does not understand why the internal flash can't beam 30 meters with the DA55-300), so K30 might join the family.
06-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #10

I'm still on my K20D, which I bought in 2009: the body + kit lens was the same price as a Canon 450D, which was a no-brainer The only thing I'm really after is more accurate/reliable AF in low light (especially indoors). I'd liked the look of the K30D, but I went out shooting for the first time in a while the other day and realised that I use the top LCD almost incessantly. So I guess I'm waiting for the K5's replacement, or more likely a year or two for its price to come down.

Last edited by MrCynical; 06-17-2012 at 12:05 PM.
06-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #11

I am more of lens guy then a camera guy, because with a lens I know that it'll last for years (see FA Limited lenses). With cameras I'm always worried the price might drop or a new camera is announced soon after I buy it.

I didn't upgrade my K-7 for a K-5, because on paper they almost look the same for me. (Yes, I know it has a much better sensor. Please don't tell me how much better the K-5 is or I might have to buy it! )
06-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've never been one to rush to upgrade my equipment unless for some reason it didn't allow me to do what I needed to do. I went from an upscale Fuji P&S to a Spottie and later to my *ist because I needed to be able to change lenses out to grow as a photographer. I needed a proper SLR set up. I bought the *ist because it was cheap and I was planning on going pro and needed an interim DSLR till I could afford something better. Then it died and I got my K-x to replace it. I love my K-x and I have no intention off ever giving it up but I do need a slightly more capable body preferably with some weather proofing. I live in a hot, humid place. I'm going to end up shooting around things that could damage my camera all the time. Having a more weather proof model will be a good thing, and honestly I just love the K-30 from what I've seen of it.

It's capacities are perfect for what I do. I can see myself using that camera for a good long time actually. It looks to be a little gem. Until I saw it I was planning on a K-5 or something like down the road anyway. I still wouldn't turn my nose up at one but I don't really need it. The K-30 would do me just fine and I like it so I think I am going to save up and get me one. After that? It will definitely be a long while before I upgrade. If I've got a camera or two that can do 100% of what I need? That's good enough for me until one of them is done. I don't really feel the need to upgrade just to upgrade. I tend to drive the same car till it practically falls apart from age. I take care of things, but I don't swap out perfectly capable equipment just because. If it doesn't suit me or has aged past being fixed, that's one thing. But otherwise, I'm very conservative about replacing anything that's in top condition just because there is a newer model out there.
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I like to buy the first of a new generation and keep them.
On paper the K7 doesn't appear too different, but in real life, they are almost 2 different cameras!
Got K10D and skipped the K20D and K7 completely because i didnt like the sensor in it...
06-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My path to Pentax Perfection is - K100D, K20D, K5D. I bought the K100 in 2007 as my first DSLR after 35 years of SLR, TLR film compact and digital P and S use. Upgraded to the K20D after 2 1/2 years as the jump from 6 to 14 Mpix gave me cropping options. I got a demo model pretty cheap as the K7 had been out for a few months. My K20D suffered external damage when I dropped it onto a concrete drive in November 2011, so I got a K5 and luckily a rebate scheme started 2 says after I damaged the K5. I still use the K20D having effected a home repair. However the K5 is superior in almost every way and I am not likely to upgrade any time soon. Recent money has been spent on lenses, many of which are FF compatible, so a future FF body could be an option in a few years.
06-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Need an entry for NONE OF THE ABOVE. My 'upgrade' schedule is: never. I bought P&S digicams to supplement the old ones as more gigapickles emerged. I bought the K20D to supplement the P&S digicams when I got an inheritance (Thanks for dying, Mom!) and I so far haven't seen a need to supplement the K20D. My needs are my own. YMMV.