Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't know how you interpreted my post as suggesting the majority of people print photos themselves. And what exactly would be wrong with that anyway?
I've never printed a photo myself in my life and am not about to start learning since we have very competent digital printers on professional paper that produce great products at affordable prices.
I just received a hardcover family photobook I ordered from Apple and it is fantastic - I couldn't imagine trying to do a similar thing myself.
I'm referring to what people do with their photos - storing them on hard drives does very little good. Having them in a presentable hard copy is what gives instant access to photographic work as well as pleasure both from myself as an amateur photographer as well as those who appreciate looking at the photos presented in this way.
Well the new generation (those not on forums like these) have their photocollection on their phones and on social media like facebook. They almost never print anything they snap themselves. The gap is between people:
  • serious photographers - who make large prints, but few
  • familys - who make lots off small prints and online photobooks
  • hipsters - who make hardly any prints
This gap is growing I think.

01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I make prints and post a lot of stuff online. I use Picasa and a few on Flickr and all are easily accessible with a smart phone. I don't store a lot of stuff on my phone. The photos I take with my phone are there. On occasion I will post to Facebook but again, I will usually just link to my Picasa page. I have done photo books and given them away as Christmas presents. Some may call that cheap but everyone who has ever got one has liked it and when I didn't do it the following year, a few asked if I stopped taking photos. To print out photos takes some work that many don't want to bother with. One thing that hasn't changed since the film days is there are 2 basic groups in photography. Group one just takes pictures with the least effort and are satisfied with what they get. They may realize that they may not be good photos but will not extend an ounce of effort to improve their results other than maybe buy a new camera in hopes that their pictures will improve. Group 2 learns a little about photography. They will take a few shots to make sure they got a good one. They will learn a little about composition and exposure. They will invest in some editing software and learn some PP. There are DSLR owners in group one who can't get a good shot except by accident. There are phone camera shooters in group 2 who post beautiful shots consistently on their webpages.