Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Problems with K10D

Have a K10D which I love but after four years of perfection, I recently had a problem that I really need some advice on. Deleted app. 40 pictures manually. Hadn't ever done this before. Might have deleted a few but never this many all at once. Turned the camera off and put it away. A few days later, turned it on and got a "Memory card Error" message. Couldn't do anything with the camera. Changed out the card to another, turned camera on and off, charged the battery fully, bought a brand new memory card. Nothing helped. Sent it in to the Pentax repair place in Chandler, AZ. They want $360.00 to replace memory card circuit board AND main circuit board! This is half of what I paid for the camera and the camera is four years old. In addition, the customer service I received was awful. I was passed from person to person, and no one could give me any information on why they were replacing both boards. I was told that the person responsible for evaluating the camera could not take phone calls from the public yet no one else had a clue what I was talking about!!!!! REALLY??!! So, my K10-D is still sitting in AZ and I don't know what to do. One of the rude guys I spoke to told me that if he were me, he wouldn't spend any money on "this" camera bc it wasn't that good of a camera! Nothing like believing in your product! I told him that I had a small fortune invested in this camera with three lenses and an external flash, etc..... He didn't care, he said he didn't know what to tell me. HELP! Does anyone have any advice for me? I really want my camera back!!!

06-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello Jana,

I'm sorry about your misfortune with your beloved K10D. But let's face it:

1. A digital camera is essentially a very complicated computer. To be able to tell you exactly why the circuit board needs to be replaced requires a lot of expensive and sophisticated troubleshooting/testing/debugging equipment. It also requires highly skilled (read: highly-paid) personnel to operate the equipment. I don't think Chandler facility, or any other repair facility of any camera maker, has the kind of equipment and the kind of personnel to pinpoint a failing component and/or to replace it.

2. A typical scenario is like this: the technician dissembles the camera and connects the circuit board in question to a tester via some test pins or test ribbons. The tester has a green light and a red light. Green: OK. Red: replace. It is much more economical to replace the whole board (or the whole camera) than trying to determine the failing component.

3. I agree with the "rude guy" that I wouldn't spend any money on that camera. In fact, I probably wouldn't even send it in in the first place. I don't know the current price of a used K10D, but 3 years ago, I bought one in mint condition for $330 (I later modified it for IR photography).

Take it easy, and unless that particular K10D has sentimental value, look for another camera body.

Last edited by SOldBear; 06-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.
06-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It can be frustrating because you can never be sure if they really nailed down the problem and those things REALLY needed to be replaced or whatever, but there isn't much you can do. But I haven't had any trouble talking to people at CRIS -- not necessarily the exact person that was working on my camera but at least someone that knew what they were talking about. (And not necessarily "on demand" either -- I just left a message and said I had questions about such-and-such technical stuff and a guy called me back.) It was certainly worth sending in -- I had what I figured was going to be a "too expensive to be worth it" repair for my K10D -- the aperture no longer would stop down -- and it was evaluated as needing a new "aperture control block" which involved replacing some board or another. But it turned out to be only a hundred something, worth it to keep the camera going. But $360 is certainly too much as you can buy a fully working used one for less than that easily. People seem to get upset for some reason (I've seen that complaint more than once) when told that something isn't worth it to be putting $X amount of dollars into, but they aren't being rude, they are trying to save you money and what they are really telling you is that you could just buy another body for less, maybe even a new model, so why overspend on a repair?

Your lenses are still good, your flash is still good, now you just need to decide whether to grab another K10D or upgrade to something else.
06-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you VonBoloney and SOldBear for your responses. I'm just frustrated but you're both right, I guess there is only so much they can do without spending a ridiculous amount of time looking for a needle in a haystack. I think I will look for another used K10D body. Not sure if my lenses will fit another model. Thanks again for your time. Very much appreciated!!!

06-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanaMac Quote
Thank you VonBoloney and SOldBear for your responses. I'm just frustrated but you're both right, I guess there is only so much they can do without spending a ridiculous amount of time looking for a needle in a haystack. I think I will look for another used K10D body. Not sure if my lenses will fit another model. Thanks again for your time. Very much appreciated!!!
Your lenses will fit the K20D, K-r, K-x, K-7, K-5, K-01, etc -- all of the K-mount cameras.
06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only thing to be aware of is that SDM lenses don't work on models K100D/K110D and earlier. Or better to say, they become manual focus lenses.
06-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You're lucky IF they can repair it, my K10 has been at an approved repair center since early April and apparently they are STILL waiting for parts ! Pentax need to get there act together, perhaps Ricoh will shake them up a bit ? we can only hope.