Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please help, need -extensive- K10D instructions

Hi guys,

So, this is a little weird, but I'll explain why it is I need extensive instructions and then what instructions I need.
Please note, before I start, that the answer to this request is not "read the manual" - the manual does not go into the finicky detail I need and you'll see why.

I bought a K10D, which I have owned one of before and really liked for some things, but this one is a little different: it doesn't have a working rear screen, as it got cracked and just doesn't display at all. The camera hasn't arrived to me yet (it will tomorrow) but according to the seller - it still does everything else, including record images, you just can't see them until you put the card in a computer. Oh how awful a fate it is... Oh wait a minute, that's what we all did in the film days anyway.
Anyway, I was never a 'serious' film shooter (only ever owned 2 cameras, both compacts and ended in my teens) - so I don't have the photographer's eye that some of yourselves do - WHICH IS WHY I bought this camera. It is all the convenience of digital in terms of storing and processing images, but with the limitations of a comparitively poor sensor and I'll have to imagine what my shots look like all the time. I am really looking forward to shooting with it and hopefully making myself think more carefully about all aspects of my shots.
HOWEVER - before I do, I'll want it set up the way that I generally set up cameras, in terms of the custom menu.
What I am looking for is someone to guide me through, button press by button press, remembering that I won't be able to see where I am in the menu - to perform the following actions:

1. First and foremost, I need it in RAW, because of course RAW is better, but also so I don't have to worry about changing a white balance that I can't see. Now I think around the front there is a RAW button, but sometimes, depending on the set up, the RAW button may not put the camera in RAW straight away? Anyway, if it doesn't, then I'd appreciate someone telling me what buttons to hit to get me to the RAW or JPEG selection and let me lock it in RAW. This can wait until I know if it's going to be easy using just the RAW button around the front - presumably the top LCD will tell me straight away??

2. Second most important thing is - if the aperture ring is not being allowed, I want to allow it. So, by step by step instructions, I mean I need someone to say "Turn the camera on. Now press "menu." Now press the right arrow SIX times - now the down arrow once..." etc. Yes I know, it's a big favour, but I'm sure someone here will relish the opportunity to show how good they are at clear camera instructions, and to help someone out who's trying to improve their photography

Um, for NOW I think that is about it, but I'll have to see how the camera is set up ATM and get back to you helpful people with anything else I'd like to do.
Thanks heaps guys.

06-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you do have Video-out , connect it to any video monitor, that will give you access to the back LCD image so you could check settings and change menus. That should work on K10D, it does work on my KX,K7 and K5.
good luck!
06-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I will be of no help to you as I shoot with a K-7 but that is one way to become very Automatic with your camera settings!
06-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
you do have Video-out , connect it to any video monitor, that will give you access to the back LCD image so you could check settings and change menus. That should work on K10D, it does work on my KX,K7 and K5.
good luck!
Really? Ah ok, I haven't used video out except with my compact Fuji - I just assumed it only showed you playback. Thanks for that, should be much easier, because then I may be able to learn any settings I want to change by wrote anyway. ISO is easy but there might be some others like bracketing etc.
Cheers!

06-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

ok, for permanent raw:

turn cam on
check top lcd for "raw" display. If not shown:
press menu
press down arrow 7 times.
press right arrow once.
press down arrow once (for raw) or twice (for raw+jpeg)
press "ok"
half-press shutter and check top lcd display.
06-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If K10d is anything like K20d, you will know when you are shooting RAW, a little "RAW+" symbol comes up in the top LCD above the number of shots you have remaining. On mine, just quickly pressing the button doesn't put it in RAW, you have to hold the button down for a second or two.

And again, if the menus on both cameras are the same, you can change the
Click the "Menu" button
Left arrow key
Up arrow key
Up arrow key again
Right arrow key

From there on, "Prohibited" (1st option) or "Permited" (2nd option) will be highlighted- it will depend on what the previous owner had chosen.
You will have to try both because you won't know what the owner had it set as.
Anyway, you will scroll up and down to change choices and "Ok" to select it.

Hope you enjoy the camera and you find that everything, except the stated LCD, functions well.
06-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

aperture ring.

turn cam on.

press menu.
press right arrow three times.
press up arrow three times.
press right arrow once.
press down arrow once (assuming camera is currently set to "prohibited")
press "ok".

oh, and ease up with the "inferior sensor" tag. some of us are very protective of thek10 ccd sensor, lol.

06-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

just thinking about it, and what limitations i would hate about only having the top LCD screen, I love having the front dial set for ISO when in AV mode. Without the back screen, you'll want a quick way of changing the iso and viewing it either on the top plate or through the view finder.

to do this (the previous user may have already, so play with the dials in certain modes and see if you have iso changes):

cam on.
press menu
press right arrow three times
press up arrow 13 times
press right arrow once
press down arrow 3 times (assuming the camera is set to default -ie rear wheel aperture, front disabled)
press ok.
put cam into AV and confirm iso changes with front wheel.

of course, you may not shoot in av, or may want the wheels controlling exposure comp etc. if so, a whole heap of other button presses would be needed once we know what you are after.

hopefully the earlier suggestion of video-out works and you can see what you are doing
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
ISO is easy but there might be some others like bracketing etc.
Cheers!
ISO is really easy on the K10, just press and hold the "ok" button and spin the front wheel. A feature added in one of the firmware upgrades, so you will not find it in the manual.
06-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
  • From a web browser, type "www.ebay.au.com" in the address bar
  • Type "pentax k10d" in the search box
  • Buy a new camera
  • Job done!
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As long as you have the right cable, then yes video out will work to see and set menus. Anything else is a road to madness. You are still going to have a hell of time just setting ISO, etc. Hope you like to leave your settings as-is all the time...
06-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You are still going to have a hell of time just setting ISO,
Why? Again, press and hold ok, scroll wheel, look at top display (or in viewfinder).
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Why? Again, press and hold ok, scroll wheel, look at top display (or in viewfinder).
Don't think so on the K10D -- it doesn't display the ISO in most modes, unless that is just the way I have mine set. You adjust it with "fn" button and 4-way controller off the back LCD. Same with drive modes, white balance, and flash modes -- won't be able to see any of that stuff. Tav mode may be a good bet though because then it will display ISO on the top screen and shutter/aperture can be set manually.
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't think so on the K10D -- it doesn't display the ISO in most modes, unless that is just the way I have mine set. You adjust it with "fn" button and 4-way controller off the back LCD. Same with drive modes, white balance, and flash modes -- won't be able to see any of that stuff. Tav mode may be a good bet though because then it will display ISO on the top screen and shutter/aperture can be set manually.
The very first firmware upgrade included: (quote from Latest K10D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING )

"ISO setting change by dial while the ISO setting is being displayed on the LCD by pushing OK button."

And I have used it ever since, well until I bought the K5.
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The very first firmware upgrade included: (quote from Latest K10D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING )

"ISO setting change by dial while the ISO setting is being displayed on the LCD by pushing OK button."

And I have used it ever since, well until I bought the K5.
Cool. Didn't know that. I usually don't adjust it on the K10D cause it doesn't have much range, but good to know...