Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Should i go for K-R or save for K-5 (price battle)

So i wanna buy my first DSLR.

The problem is, due the custom tax in Ukraine it can be hard to import camera.

Local prices are like:
Pentax K-R 18-55 kit + AF200 ~ 650-675$
Pentax K-R 18-55 and 50-200 kit ~ 830$
Pentax K-5 18-55 kit ~1100$
Pentax K-5 kit (DA 18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR) ~ 1250$

I can find used Pentax K-R for like 525$ but they are rare birds. K-5, not sure about this, 900$ maybe?

Because difference between 650 and 1100 is really big for me, i wonder what do now wait and save for K-5 (it will take months D or just go for K-R base kit?

06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's quite a big difference between the two cameras, both in terms of purpose and features. It depends on how experienced you are and what you expect from your camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I know what you mean about the price, it took me a long time to save up for the K-5, but it was worth it.
It's a great camera.
The thing is, I already had a K10, so I was using that whilst saving money for the K-5.
I still use my K10, it should be noted.

It's right what Adam said, they are two completely different cameras.
I can't comment on the K-r, but the K-5 is a great piece of kit with advanced features to keep you happy for years.
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I fully understand what they are in different categories. I just not sure how much time it can take to master K-5 advantages. Isn't it too "pro" for a newbie?

Also "saved" 400$ can give some more space for experiments. News lenses, etc.

06-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P_Hat Quote
I fully understand what they are in different categories. I just not sure how much time it can take to master K-5 advantages. Isn't it too "pro" for a newbie?

Also "saved" 400$ can give some more space for experiments. News lenses, etc.
K30 will come out and k-5 might decrease in price on used market.
06-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaards Quote
K30 will come out and k-5 might decrease in price on used market.
That really depends on how many a store would have in storage because at the moment the K5 is out of production and if they are low on K5 to sell then the price might even go up...

Actually for P_Hat the K30 might be the camera he wants, it's placed between those 2 cameras, just need to wait what the price will do.
06-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The k-r is great camera but the k-5 is no comparison.
If you decide to buy the k-r you will be happy, but I warn you do not ever handle a k-5 or you will regret your choice.
06-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

So i wanna buy my first DSLR.

The problem is, due the custom tax in Ukraine it can be hard to import camera.
If that’s the case and you’re only planning on buying a DSLR once then I suggest holding off and save for the K-5 (or K-30). It may actually save you money in the long run versus getting a K-r now then later upgrading to a K-5 or “K-whatever is next” down the road and going through custom/import taxes again.

Basic functionalities of “any” DSLR and even advanced Point-and-Shoots are practically the same. Av, Tv, ISO, Manual modes, etc will tend to have the same learning curve K-r or K-5.

Of course, if you have the overwhelming urge of wanting a camera “right now” then by all means get the K-r! It is a great entry level DSLR and for many it is all they will ever need for their purposes. I have a K-x and have been more than happy with it. I do want to upgrade to a K-5 however; because of WR and Battery grip option just to name two advantages over the K-x....not to mention their price diving down lately. If I were in your situation I would probably hold off until I save and get the camera I will keep for a long time without “wanting/needing more”, but that's me. Cheers.

06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The OP should consider K-30, something in between K-r and K-5.
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I were you I would definitely save for the K-5, lots of folks unloading them in anticipation for the "new fangled" cameras coming out, me? well I could give a rats @$$ about what is coming out, I researched the K-5 and I am fully aware of the capabilities and how they will serve me as a photographic tool. I have a K-x(which is very similar to the K-r) and find it is a rather capable camera, and once in a while I will pick it up and shoot with it even though my wife has inherited it and loves using it, she doesn't understand why I need a K-5 for but doesn't argue with me about it, sheis perfectly happy with the K-x(she thinks it is way more than enough camera for her)
I like how the larger K-5 body fits my hands perfectly and I have large hands. you can hold out for the K-30 and I am sure it will be a very capable body but to me it has many shortcomings, I really like having the LCD screen on top of the K-5 and I also like how solidly built this thing feels to me. They have worked many of the bugs out of the K-5 compared to the new K-30(which isn't in anybodies hands yet), it will take them some time to figure out the bugs in the K-30 and I really don't have the patience to be sending a camera in all the time just so they can "get it right"
Go with your instincts and get the K-5, you wont be disappointed, I assure you. I have never had such a nice piece of equipment as this K-5.
06-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just wait for the K30.
07-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for answers guys. K-5 all the way, then.

K-30 will be crazy overpriced.
07-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #13

I do understand your dilemma, been there...

Let's go through your current problem:
1) Custom tax/harder to import camera: i suggest go for the K5 (there's no need to change your camera body in 5 years or so)

2) Functionality: agree with Crewl1, never touch that K5 unless you're ready to buy it... (my experience? was about to sell it until I learned the basic functions of the buttons/switches etc... read your manuals. watch youtube and learn from tutorials). You will love it after...

3) Wait and save for the K5, you will not regret it.

Looking forward to your K5 pictures...

Peace