Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
Apple is never the one to come with an actual new product so it's doubtful they will make the step first, probably android will and it will be something of a curiosity and then Apple launch a similar product and hype it is completely new and innovative and they sell millions

Anyway it wont be if DSLR, it will most likely be just a phone with a very good camera in it just like the new Nokia.

06-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 131
I hope this never happens, it phones are already to unstable and slow and bloated I dont want my camera to become the same.
06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
If a DSLR was made by apple, it would get new features every year for three years, the the fps would go down every year so you would buy the new one. And it would cost $5,000. (I love apple and iOS but this is not a great idea).
If a DSLR were made by Apple, it would be made of metal alloy rather than plastic like most of its competitors. The fast lenses would cost 2-3x what they cost on competing systems. Everyone else would laugh at the market share but the devoted fans would insist that the performance offered by their camera was worth the cost and other-ness.

Wait a sec, we already have a DSLR maker like that. It's called Pentax
06-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,334
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Apple is never the one to come with an actual new product so it's doubtful they will make the step first, probably android will and it will be something of a curiosity and then Apple launch a similar product and hype it is completely new and innovative and they sell millions

Anyway it wont be if DSLR, it will most likely be just a phone with a very good camera in it just like the new Nokia.
Android is not an entity, it's a piece of software (actually, it's a highly fragmented piece of software, in terms of its development and distribution status), but Google has never created an actual new product either, unless you regard Streetview as something other than a convergence of existing products. But perhaps I've missed something.

There is a view that Apple has a series of new (for it) products in line after whatever its television product will be, and one of those is supposed to be in the photographic area. Certainly, its one serious photo-related piece of software (Aperture) is highly regarded, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that there is a hardware product in development.

There is also a view among traditionalists that DSLRs or, come to that, any digital cameras, are "gadgets", too, so, to those who put touchscreens and the like in this category, I say beware: you're likely to have your personal view of what's a tool and what's a gadget undermined by ubiquity, as developments in all other areas take hold.

06-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
Sounds like the OP prefers Point 'n' Shoot that a real camera.

Most of us PHOTOGRAPHERS are trying to get Pentax to improve the CAMERA functional of the DSLR for taking better pictures, and not in turning it into a multimedia device full of "gadgets". If you want "Gadgets" with your pictures, get a smart-phone with a camera.
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,334
So, what's a "real" camera? One that has no aids to making a picture (or is that "taking a photo")? My "real" Leica III has a rangefinder: is that a "gadget"? My "toy" Minox 35 has an electronic shutter control and AE: are those "gadgets"? My "real" SP-F has an in-built light meter: if the battery fails, I can still use the camera with the Sunny 16 rule, just like my father did with his folding Kodak, so does that make the light meter a "gadget"?

I suspect there's a bit of condescension in debates of this nature, that degrades the notion of handy non-essentiality (think of all the non-essential but nonetheless useful "gadgets" that litter most kitchen drawers) to useless frippery (like Liz Taylor's diamonds).
06-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
So, what's a "real" camera? One that has no aids to making a picture (or is that "taking a photo")? My "real" Leica III has a rangefinder: is that a "gadget"? My "toy" Minox 35 has an electronic shutter control and AE: are those "gadgets"? My "real" SP-F has an in-built light meter: if the battery fails, I can still use the camera with the Sunny 16 rule, just like my father did with his folding Kodak, so does that make the light meter a "gadget"?

I suspect there's a bit of condescension in debates of this nature, that degrades the notion of handy non-essentiality (think of all the non-essential but nonetheless useful "gadgets" that litter most kitchen drawers) to useless frippery (like Liz Taylor's diamonds).
yeah, yeah, yeah, you know what I mean......

I was contemplating removing the word real, as there is no such thing, it all about interpretation of a concept.
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,475
To the OP. unless you know something I don't, I expect my batteries to last more than 24 hours... These features would be battery killers.

06-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #24
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,339
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Sounds like the OP prefers Point 'n' Shoot that a real camera.
You meant "smartphone" here, right? ;-)
06-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #25
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
No, I do mean Compact, because this idea would be more wanted (and accepted) in a P&S than in an DSLR.

There are some compacts with touch screens, wifi (with remote control from somartphone and sharing)
06-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
... and just when you are getting ready to push the shutter and take a picture, a pop-up comes up on the back display for our sponsor....
Canon or Nikon
You will need to watch the ad (as it will not let you do anything else) - draining your battery and poof - the opportunity is gone - along with your battery and now your carrying a brick.

06-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,334
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
yeah, yeah, yeah, you know what I mean......

I was contemplating removing the word real, as there is no such thing, it all about interpretation of a concept.
Of course I did. I was actually leveraging off your comments to underline my previous point about "gadgetry". No offence intended.
06-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
I only see disadvantages for cameras that run android. Being forced to 'like' an app first before being able to actuate the shutter would make me hurl my camera on the street in front of a passing car without any hesitation.

Being able to link the camera to a smartphone or laptop with bluetooth or wifi however, is a different story. Let the camera do it's job. Then (automatically) have the data sent over to a different device that does it's own job with it. That would be more logical to me.
06-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #29
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chisinau
Posts: 51
Original Poster
Hi, again. I a back. Well, You all just take it to hard. I am trying to think a little in advance. Battery running in 24 hours. Maybe, for now, but technology is advancing. Who knows, in a few years, a battery will run maybe at least 1-2 weeks. I don't want only a gadget, or only a tool, I want something in between. I don't want a few tools, I want one multifunctional. It doesn't have to have all the possible functions in the world. I doesn't mean that the fact that it is running on android, it should slow down the actual camera speed, and when I said Android or iOS, for me was only an example for operating sistem, it is not imperative to be those OS, it could be another OS only for DSLR, without advetising or pop-up windows. You just took the reality from nowadays smarphones, and imagined it right-away running on a DSLR. Don't You understand that it can be modified, converted to other needs? We now have Pentax k-5. Why? Because one day, one man wanted a better battery, or a TTL mettering, or a digital back monitor, or an infrared shutter, a TTL speedlite etc. Come on, this is the way to progress. Let's say k-5 has a touch screen. Is it bad? No. It is OK. Aha... so, at least something from what I want is OK. Do You want to trigger the camera from smartphone (without making DIY tools)? And maybe even with zooming/focusing and live-view. I bet a lot of people will want it. So, it is not that stupid to want it. I would like to have some lighting schemes, ot Model Release app, or Check list for wedding, or... something else. I am sure, I am not alone.

Come on guys, have some immagination. I am sure that each one of You dream about something that only You need for Your camera. Something that, in the way YOU photograph, will help You a lot.
06-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Android is not an entity, it's a piece of software (actually, it's a highly fragmented piece of software, in terms of its development and distribution status), but Google has never created an actual new product either, unless you regard Streetview as something other than a convergence of existing products. But perhaps I've missed something.

There is a view that Apple has a series of new (for it) products in line after whatever its television product will be, and one of those is supposed to be in the photographic area. Certainly, its one serious photo-related piece of software (Aperture) is highly regarded, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that there is a hardware product in development.
I said it a bit wrong, i meant that such a product running on Android is more likely to appear not that google will actually make one.

There are for example already TV's running on Android and car radios so the platform is already spreading faster then iOS which is not that strange.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
android, app, camera, computer, dream, dslr, guys, ideas, photography, pictures, screen, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android remote to shoot Pentax camera lepiallou Pentax DSLR Discussion 56 03-22-2013 07:43 AM
Pentax Utility (newest 4.34V) running painfully SLOW on my Mac mxlinn Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 02-08-2012 09:54 AM
Android App 'DSLR Remote': remotely control your Pentax by infrared or wire prentax77 Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 11-08-2011 12:43 PM
It looks like the new Pentax online store is up & running Jonathan Mac Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 09-08-2010 10:36 AM
Is Pentax running a warranty promotion right now? Aegon Photographic Technique 6 05-07-2009 03:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top