Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Again: When you look through the viewfinder of any DSLR, the LCD screen comes in contact with parts of your face. How should the camera distinguish between your finger using the apps, or your nose accidentally formatting your SD card?
It could use a proximity sensor to disable the touch-screen when your face is close. Touch-screen mobile phones have a similar issue, with ears instead of noses, so the solution already exists.

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I don't think it's really necessary for my camera to have android on it, but I wish it would more easily integrate with android, ios, or other os apps/devices.
Agreed. Tablets should be a good fit, being portable enough to take with you but having a bigger screen than the back of a camera.

I think phones are still a bit too small, but cameras can benefit from technology developed for phones. The proximity sensor mentioned above is one example. "Pairing by bump" could be another, if the camera has accelerometers.

07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #62
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And it would not have the file size limit...
07-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
It could use a proximity sensor to disable the touch-screen when your face is close. Touch-screen mobile phones have a similar issue, with ears instead of noses, so the solution already exists.
Apparently it doesn't already exist, because both my HTC sensation XE and my wife's brand new iphone suffer from ears pressing 'buttons' during conversations. Both phone are supposed to block the screen during conversation.

Why would we want a proximity sensor bothering our processors anyway? It doesn't improve the picture-taking at all. No gain in IQ, speed, nothing. If it does anything at all it drags it down. And that goes for the android os integration too.
07-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Also i wear glasses meaning my face is not as close to the screen as someone without one so that makes it hard to make it actually work.
Besides i still need to hear why we need android or a touch screen on a DSLR, will it help use make better photos?

to be honest photography is all about capturing the right moment, how does an app help with that. sounds to me it only gets away because of all the fiddling.

Last edited by Anvh; 07-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
to be honest photography is all about capturing the right moment, how does an app help with that. sounds to me it only gets away because of all the fiddling.
Speaking from my experience as someone who loves the arts and sciences, I'd love to try my hand at creating macros or scripts, something on a tablet to personally augment my photography style, to help capture the exact moments, fleeting moments, that I might miss. I am human after all, and the great story of technology, and what cameras are after all are tools and extensions of our own perceptions and expressive capacity. There is more potential yet to be unlocked by more synergies and technological growth, through which we can evolve our own person art and vision further. I don't limit my vision for what I can do to simply the tools I have today, but what I might have tomorrow (and I want it now).
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just don't see how software or an app on your camera can help capturing moments like these. You just have to be in the now to get these. They very seldom recreate themselves. I enjoy catching these moments just for that reason. They are real, they are life and I was able to freeze that instant forever.

07-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I'm also missing how a program knows when to take a photo...

Anyway if i want one feature on my next camera it would be the option to customize menu's, i would love to trim away some fat.
I never use jpeg or the build-in filters so why would they need to show up for me?

07-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Anyway if i want one feature on my next camera it would be the option to customize menu's, i would love to trim away some fat.
I never use jpeg or the build-in filters so why would they need to show up for me?
I could buy that myself. I don't use 2/3's of what's there.
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #69
Forum Member

Original Poster

Hello, guys. I am glad that my post is living his live independently. It means that there is an interest in all that, even if there are a lot of negative emotions. For me it would be a pleasure, that all that write a post, to read all the other posts. There are a lot of interesting ideas. The idea with "Pentax running on Android" was only a teaser. It was a trampoline or a springboard for new ideas. Sadly, a lot of You got stuck with Android and could not go further. I realy like the idea of customising my Pentax k5 menu. Realy. Good idea. I always do this on my Samsung Ace, on my laptop and descktop computer. I always adjust software and hardware to my needs. Why can't we do that with our Pentax cameras? From the other point of view, for the guy from PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras, is taking to long to make a reliable tether software, because he has to dig a lot to find out how the camera works. I would like to thank him for his work, but I am sure that Pentax, knowing everything about his cameras, could make in a few weeks a simple and reliable tether software. It doesn't have to be free. So be it. I will by it. But, come on, make it!!! We need it. There are a lot of humans "running" on Pentax. And we are not point-and-shutters. There are a lot, if not thousands, of professionals. We need that kind of software. We shoot, macro, landscape, stock photography. WE NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, it will be a pleasure for me to know that there are, let say, custom made firmware for Pentax. If I could do it, I would change that kind of stupid thing that is bloking the signal from camera to flash when going manual higher than 180/sec. I use a lot of non Pentax flashes, and I know what is happening when You go over sync speed. But I am OK with that, I will crop that black line. But I want to be able to do that. I don't want camera to decide when and where to stop. So, for the next posts, guys, don't get fulled by the word "Android". Place some ideas, some good ones.

Last edited by marinb; 07-02-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: errors
07-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Pentax Hacking Development Kit like Canon's? Maybe, if it won't ruin the cam...

as for "customizing the menu" the most I ask for is probably a wallpaper from one of my photos, like what I see on my friend's Nikon D40. I always envied that, haha =))

As for the tethering, well yeah I think it's not for free, at least for the 645D. tomazkos is probably busy and as far as his work is concerned I'm very happy with it; sometimes I even hope Pentax hires him to help them get more improvements on tethering. BTW, what kind of "software" do we "really need"?

For me it's probably some automation for the camera to make a "resized for web" version of the RAW files I make stashed in some folder in the memory card. Sorta for previewing and straight uploading. And yeah probably inputting watermarks in-cam. Saves a lot of time from going to the PC to put it there. That and a custom wallpaper, perhaps nothing else.
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
The idea with "Pentax running on Android" was only a teaser. It was a trampoline or a springboard for new ideas. Sadly, a lot of You got stuck with Android and could not go further.
Probably the thread's title and original post threw us off.

Whatever OS, android, iOS or windows, any incamera PP is fidgitty because of the size restrictions.

I saw that someone in this thread placed a comment about watermarking pictures in the camera. Now why would I fidget around, typing with the arrow buttons, or maybe touchscreen, on a little tiny screen, when I just as wel could PP my pictures comfortably with keyboard and mouse, viewing them a large screen?

It can be compared with the inbody -filters, -processing and -HDR options we have in our Pentax cameras right now: We don't use them, and for a good reason too.

What I would like to see, in a more pro camera, is the other way round. Take all the toy-like options out, but improve workflow by integrating wifi or bluetooth in the camera.
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I saw that someone in this thread placed a comment about watermarking pictures in the camera. Now why would I fidget around, typing with the arrow buttons, or maybe touchscreen, on a little tiny screen, when I just as wel could PP my pictures comfortably with keyboard and mouse, viewing them a large screen?
I think I worded the phrase wrongly in my previous post; I was thinking about placing "done" watermarks automatically to every jpeg photo, not making the watermarks in the camera. Sorta like, upload watermark image to cam, then camera automatically puts it in the jpegs.
07-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
;-))) You know guys, I think we should split the post in two parts, for the dreamers, for those who want something, and for those that are afraid, that almost anything could harm camera that (i think) is the 3rd place in top. They are afraid that we can be on the 4rth place, 5th place etc. So, lets make a post for traditional pinhole camera users, and lets continue this one for the users who dare to ask for more, for something different. The thing that discourages me, is that there are a lot of people that are afraid to change anyting. LET THINGS BE LIKE THIS, BECAUSE IT COULD BE WORSE!!! Please, Pentax, make no changes!!! But make our cameras better than Nikon and Canon. Make US the best, but don't change anything, because there is a risk... Come on... Don't we have the chance even to dream, to share and hope? Please, if You have nothing to say, stop. Let US, hoppers, say what we want.
07-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
;-))) You know guys, I think we should split the post in two parts, for the dreamers, for those who want something, and for those that are afraid, that almost anything could harm camera that (i think) is the 3rd place in top. They are afraid that we can be on the 4rth place, 5th place etc. So, lets make a post for traditional pinhole camera users, and lets continue this one for the users who dare to ask for more, for something different. The thing that discourages me, is that there are a lot of people that are afraid to change anyting. LET THINGS BE LIKE THIS, BECAUSE IT COULD BE WORSE!!! Please, Pentax, make no changes!!! But make our cameras better than Nikon and Canon. Make US the best, but don't change anything, because there is a risk... Come on... Don't we have the chance even to dream, to share and hope? Please, if You have nothing to say, stop. Let US, hoppers, say what we want.
In his opening post the OP clearly asked the question: "I am wondering why there still is no DSLR running on Android or iOS." So that invites people to explain why it would be a very bad idea.
07-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I would love to see an SDK for pentax, im sure there are some programmers that might do something great with it.
I'm now thinking about the hacked GH2 and the magic latern software for cannon, if you want to do video those are reason to get them over Pentax.