Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax running on android

Hello, guys.
I am a fun of android and iOS devices. I just wonder why there still is no DSLR camera running on these systems. I think it will be awesome to have a device like this one. Just imagine:
1. DSLR runing on Android.
2. You can install any app, DoF app, Photo tools, Photoshop, Exposure calculator etc.
3. You can even browse internet for some ideas, or upload right away your pictures to a server, or home computer.
4. Or, with bluetooth/wi-fi You can upload photos to Your home/studio computer, or even exchange with other DSLR.
5. Or, You are at a wedding. All Your card are full. You can shoot by saving everything on partners DSLR.
6. Or, You plug headphones and listen Your favorite music while taking pictures. Or install Skype/Messenger... and talk with Your assistant while taking pictures at a wedding.
7. Custom App could do magic with Your imagination and DSLR.
8. Of course, a touch screen, whill be a rock star. I am so accomodated with my Samsung Galaxy Ace, that I some times, try to change settings by touching the K5 screen.
9. Enything else?

Common guys! Let's dream a little. I dream of a camera with full and deep customisation. Any other ideas?

06-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Or, You can even upload The operating manual, ore some other books with examples, lighting setups etc
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am an Android fan myself, but I'd rather not miss a shot due to a force close.
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why make a device more complicated then it has to be?
Besides all the bloathware only means you need more processing power to make it run and also more internal storage so you a get more expensive device...

06-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I do not want any of those. I just want to take pictures, without any distractions of apps etc. Just take the reading, and push your shutter.
06-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Android is a wonderful OS, don't get me wrong. However, there is such a thing as purposeful computing - and that does apply to cameras. Cameras, in particular SLRs are solely focused on taking and processing images. Now, I have wondered aloud here on the forum more than once, that it would be great to have a Depth of Field, etc. tools on the camera to help out. That said, that does not imply that I need access to every tool in the world on the camera - or even available for the camera. Security, why do I want to provide a wonderful path for a possible virus infection of the device - we do not need additional problems.

Now, there is a place for Android, and that is in a support role. Tethered shooting, etc. would certainly be a plus with possibly a remote screen, etc.

But, essentially an all in one device - you have that now with a built in camera. The SLR is designed for a different function and it does not have to have everything including the kitchen sink built into it....

06-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, as I see, I am quite alone in my opinion. But, I can bet than in a few years, there will be such cameras, DSLR with touch screen... etc.

06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I am an Android fan myself, but I'd rather not miss a shot due to a force close.
annnnd, we're done here. :-)
06-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
Well, as I see, I am quite alone in my opinion. But, I can bet than in a few years, there will be such cameras, DSLR with touch screen... etc.
Cannon just released DSLR with touch screen but i doubt we will see one with a mobile OS on it... compact camera's yes but not DSLR, different focus group.
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Running Pentax or any DSLR on an Android or any mainstream commercial OS is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.
06-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If a DSLR was made by apple, it would get new features every year for three years, the the fps would go down every year so you would buy the new one. And it would cost $5,000. (I love apple and iOS but this is not a great idea).

That said, I do think point and shoot cameras are endangered by the likes of the iPhone 4S.
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, guys.
I am a fun of android and iOS devices. I just wonder why there still is no DSLR camera running on these systems. I think it will be awesome to have a device like this one. Just imagine:
1. DSLR runing on Android.

There probably will be something along these lines eventually, though I'd wager m4/3 will get it before a DSLR.

2. You can install any app, DoF app, Photo tools, Photoshop, Exposure calculator etc.

Photoshop requires more power than an Android device currently possesses. Also, Adobe would have to be convinced to do it. There are other photographic tools available, though.

3. You can even browse internet for some ideas, or upload right away your pictures to a server, or home computer.

On it's way I'm sure, though non-DSLR's will get it first.

4. Or, with bluetooth/wi-fi You can upload photos to Your home/studio computer, or even exchange with other DSLR.

Eye-Fi cards have been around for a while.

5. Or, You are at a wedding. All Your card are full. You can shoot by saving everything on partners DSLR.

Or, someone could think it's funny to remotely hack your camera. Lawsuit hilarity ensues.

6. Or, You plug headphones and listen Your favorite music while taking pictures. Or install Skype/Messenger... and talk with Your assistant while taking pictures at a wedding.

It's great to be unaware of your environment while working.

7. Custom App could do magic with Your imagination and DSLR.

Many DSLR's and other cameras have built-in "artistic filters".

8. Of course, a touch screen, whill be a rock star. I am so accomodated with my Samsung Galaxy Ace, that I some times, try to change settings by touching the K5 screen.

I doubt this, except for people who love gadgets.

9. Enything else?

Common guys! Let's dream a little. I dream of a camera with full and deep customisation. Any other ideas?
There are people who prefer tools, and people who prefer gadgets. It sounds like I am the former while you are the latter. The more complicated a camera is, the greater chance for failure.
06-23-2012, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Oh yes, so our noses can alter settings while we look through viewfinder.
06-23-2012, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

As someone who never uses video (and only rarely liveview even), a full OS like Android would be just more features that I won't use.

And who wants Google (or Apple or Microsoft etc) looking over your shoulder everytime you use your camera. And ready with the kill switch anytime too.
06-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Perhaps Apple has such a plan....

I believe such a camera system will come in the near future, most likely from one of the big hp makers, since they are the ones who can leverage from all the tech knowhow (Samsung and Sony seems well placed in fact)

Other than the mess of OS upgrades and camera system standardization to meet OS requirements, I can see its potential for the mass market.
Probably not for the enthusiast level though, since ppl are more interested in specific tools gather than "do a lot" cameras/gadgets