Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

kr to k5 or k20d?

Hey guys I have a Pentax kr!

Had a few minor issues with it in the last year. I want to upgrade to the k5 or the k20d. Both are in a range that i can afford them now. Im hoping the low lighting noise is better in the k5? Does anyone shoot with the k20 and k5 that could explain some small but important differences between the two cameras? I really want some input from people that shoot pentax. I have a need to shoot 9 fps but no pentax camera goes that fast . Clear pictures and longer battery life with battery grip are my current desires. I would like to have a vertical grip for either camera as well just to make shooting a little easier on my wrists

Thanks for the posts guys!

06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
regarding your decision, I would definitely go with the K5. I upgraded from the K20D to the K5 and found it heaps better. The best site to do a comparison with is Digital Photography Review and put them side by side in their comparison table. I shoot a lot of landscapes and sunrises and found that the CTE (colour temperature enhanced) WB a great bonus as it really gives vibrance and WOW to my images. There is a marked improvement in the ISO and the related noise and have shot action shots indoors at Deb. Balls, concerts etc., under stage lighting and ambient lighting with great results.
As I suggested, best idea is the check them both out at DPR.
You can see some of my results at "Phil Thomson IPA":Phil Thomson IPA | RedBubble

Regards,

Phil Thomson
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you want lowlight- and noise improvement K5 is definately the way to go. I have both camera`s and the K5 beats the K20d hands down in many aspects, especially in the noise-department. K5 iso1600 is equal (and at times better than) to K20d Iso400.
My batterylife for the K5 is (w/o statscreen, 3sec playback, no flash and illuminated topLCD) on avarage 1100 shots.
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since you're used to the Kr, I would go for the K5 or wait a little for the K30. The ergonomics are completely different on the K20; not to mention high ISO noise and only 3fps. The only upside IMO is the availability of used genuine BG-2 grips compared to BG-4s. No matter which you choose, however, your lenses will all work. :-)

06-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thats awesome news guys thanks alot! I am looking at buying a k5 from this site actually.
06-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

When the K-5 successor hits the street there may be a good handful of used K-5s coming on the market! New K-5s are currently selling for not much more than most used ones...