Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

I tried a Sony and hated it ....

So 16 months ago I bought a K-r, the outdoor shots were truely fantastic, the kids came alive in them, wonderful memories preserved, but it had severe FF indoors, and since I live in rainy old UK indoors is 6 or 7 months of a year, so I decided to go for Sony (being the other body stabilised choice). Bought an SLD (half silvered mirror), well the upside was the in-video fast focus was excellent, trouble was the photos stank, they were just bland, I couldn't really put my finger on it but they just lacked any life, even post processing couldn't give the shots that K-r jpeg mode will do from the camera. Also hated the half silvered mirror, fundamentally its a thin piece of shiny plastic sheet - life expectancy a couple of years if you're careful.I found I just wasn't bothering taking photos anymore, there was no magic.

Anyhow saw the K-30 announcement and the price I could get a K-5 for, Sony went on ebay and here I am K-5 in hand, I can confirm the magic is back, just a few shots showed I'd made the right choice, so relieved, I'm a few hundred pounds down in the bank but much happier

Loving the 18-135 kit lens too, such a nice range and sigma 70-300 an ebay snip at 100 pounds.

06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to the Pentax fold. I do hope you aren't just shooting JPEG with the K-5. The things you can do with RAW with the K-5, especially at lower ISOs, are amazing.
06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Welcome back to the Pentax fold. I do hope you aren't just shooting JPEG with the K-5. The things you can do with RAW with the K-5, especially at lower ISOs, are amazing.
If the light is good I do go jpeg, bit lazy and go raw+ if in doubt.
06-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I had a similar experience with a NEX-5. Crummy menus, lack of controls, lackluster images. Returned to shop.

I've heard that subsequent firmware versions fixed some of the menus.

I later tried Nikon and things were overall pretty good, but Pentax images still look better so I came back to Pentax (also for the lenses I like).

Additionally, for myself, Olympus images look great SOOC. If you like Pentax you should consider trying Olympus. For example, an E-PM1 can make a great Point and Shoot replacement and deliver the type of oomph that Pentax also manages.

Last edited by Aegon; 06-25-2012 at 01:49 PM.
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Anyhow saw the K-30 announcement and the price I could get a K-5 for, Sony went on ebay and here I am K-5 in hand, I can confirm the magic is back,
And how's the focusing compared to the K-r?
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
And how's the focusing compared to the K-r?
I'm not testing it. Dropped to pixel peeping after the move to Sony, trying to see what the difference was - don't want to go back there, I have some excellent shots already and I'm not going off looking for problems with this one. If I could go back I'd stick with the k-r.
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not testing it.
Good move, too many things in life to enjoy. Have fun taking photos with the excellent K-5

06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I had a similar experience with a NEX-5. Crummy menus, lack of controls, lackluster images. Returned to shop.

I've heard that subsequent firmware versions fixed some of the menus.

I later tried Nikon and things were overall pretty good, but Pentax images still look better so I came back to Pentax (also for the lenses I like).

Additionally, for myself, Olympus images look great SOOC. If you like Pentax you should consider trying Olympus. For example, an E-PM1 can make a great Point and Shoot replacement and deliver the type of oomph that Pentax also manages.
I am so happy with my NEX-5N v1.01. It's a great home for legacy glass, but it's an LBA enabler. My manual lenses haven't gone anywhere near my K-5 since I got it. I don't use the AF, my only AF lens is the 16mm. The raw files look great though. They are only 12bit vs the K5's 14bit, but I can't really see much difference in detail. The NEX, with the size and articulating screen offers an advantage for varying perspectives. I use my K-5 for auto focus, for the fast shutter and for bigger lenses (that I don't use on a tripod). I really look at the K-30 with envy. I want focus peaking on my K-5. I wish they'd add it with a firmware upgrade. Focus peaking is more accurate than the K-5 AF for low light photos.
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not testing it. Dropped to pixel peeping after the move to Sony, trying to see what the difference was - don't want to go back there, I have some excellent shots already and I'm not going off looking for problems with this one. If I could go back I'd stick with the k-r.
I can appreciate that, but I wasn't asking you to get out a focus chart . . . was just wondering since you said the K-r had "severe FF" and you mainly shoot if you noticed any missed shots compared to the K-r.
06-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I tried a Sony and liked it ... in 2008. The A200 fit me quite nicely, but the 700-900 series were too big for my wishes. Then they changed every aspect of their cameras' ergonomics, and I hated them. Since I had to learn a new arrangement anyway I came (back) to Pentax. Thanks Sony!
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

Agreed on the Olympus.
The Pen series is very good.