Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm actually in process of selling off a bunch of stuff I just don't use enough on CL locally to fund a few lenses I want (DA50 1.8, FA77....) I can't go spending on this without losing out on getting the FA77
Dude. That's hilarious. I've got no less than 6 CL listings and about 10 ebay auctions going on right now, including my K-x!
My wife and I cleaned out the garage and all the closets in the house, and besides throwing away 4 contractor bags worth of stuff, we found all this stuff to sell.

As it stands, if I can sell the K-x, I can afford the refurb K-5 right now, but if I go with the new one from Adorama, I have to wait until some other stuff sells.

06-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Dude. That's hilarious. I've got no less than 6 CL listings and about 10 ebay auctions going on right now, including my K-x!
My wife and I cleaned out the garage and all the closets in the house, and besides throwing away 4 contractor bags worth of stuff, we found all this stuff to sell.

As it stands, if I can sell the K-x, I can afford the refurb K-5 right now, but if I go with the new one from Adorama, I have to wait until some other stuff sells.
I have a couple of medium format systems up, a rangefinder 2 digital and 1 film pentax body and a few lenses (will add more lenses later)
4 CL and 4 Kijiji listings. If things don't move I'll go to ebay with them
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, one of my listings is one of my two ME Supers. I got it with an old pleather Pentax case full of goodies. I'm keeping the M50 1.7 and the 135 2.5, but I'll let the old flash, winder, and an off-brand A 28mm 2.8 go. I just have to get the body back from my cousin who's not using it.

I normally can't stand eBay, but in this case, most of these items I just want to get rid of, so I dont' mind the fees. I have a whole spreadsheet going that calculates my take. Besides the K-x, I should probably make about 450 bucks if everything sells.
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah, one of my listings is one of my two ME Supers. I got it with an old pleather Pentax case full of goodies. I'm keeping the M50 1.7 and the 135 2.5, but I'll let the old flash, winder, and an off-brand A 28mm 2.8 go. I just have to get the body back from my cousin who's not using it.

I normally can't stand eBay, but in this case, most of these items I just want to get rid of, so I dont' mind the fees. I have a whole spreadsheet going that calculates my take. Besides the K-x, I should probably make about 450 bucks if everything sells.
If I sell everything for 75% of my asking I will net $1500. I expect i will get more like 85% though - I always leave some wiggle room, but try and price sanely. Some people are crazy with what they ask. Some guy has a ds with 2 lenses up for $800 - worth maybe $300-$350 taking the 2 lenses into account. another has a nice looking MX sytem with a few lenses for $750 - which is likely on the high side of everything individually by. I think it would be sold if it was up for $500 (if you are going to sell a bundle you have to accept less, If you want the max then ebay it as BIN and wait until a sucker says ok

06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you want the max then ebay it as BIN and wait until a sucker says ok
Unfortunately, if I'm going to afford a K-5, that's what I have to do with my K-x.
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Canada doesn't seem to have a phone number, so I used their online contact form. This is good, because if I have a positive response in writing, it lends more weight.
Here's what I sent them:
QuoteQuote:
Hello, first of all, I am from the United States, but I am considering purchasing a refurbished K-5 from an authorized Pentax distributor in Canada.

The distributor, eBay's ProDigital2000 (which is a storefront for Carmans Fotosource in Stratford, ON), is advertising a refurbished K-5 body with a "1-Year Limited International Warranty", and a "Full Pentax Warranty".

When I contacted Pentax USA about whether this warranty would be honored in the USA, they said that they would honor warranties from Pentax Canada, but that no Pentax USA factory-refurbished products come with a full 1-year warranty. He said that factory-refurbished Pentax cameras come with a 90 day warranty.

When I asked ProDigital2000 about this, they simply replied that the camera has a full 1 year warranty from Pentax and that I would be able to get service for it in the states.

Is there a difference between Pentax USA, and Pentax Canada's refurbished warranties?

The listing for the camera is here:
REFURBISHED Pentax K-5 DSLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p - FULL PENTAX WARRANTY 27075176546 | eBay

I'm really hoping you can shed some light on this situation.

Thanks!
Ryan Trevisol
06-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Pentax Canada doesn't seem to have a phone number, so I used their online contact form. This is good, because if I have a positive response in writing, it lends more weight.
Here's what I sent them:
I don't want to know the answer to this I can't be buying it stop now aaargh

06-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't want to know the answer to this I can't be buying it stop now aaargh
Don't worry. If the answer is yes, I'll buy it before telling you. You're welcome, Mrs. Eddie 1960.
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't worry. If the answer is yes, I'll buy it before telling you. You're welcome, Mrs. Eddie 1960.
lmao, figuresd you would. for me the answer is more important as to the warranty in canada, I have the phone number someplace
06-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lmao, figuresd you would.
Hey, just trying to help you get that 77!

This link is interesting from Newegg Canada. It lists a 1 year warranty on a K2000:
Newegg.ca - Refurbished: PENTAX K2000 Black 10.2 MP 2.7" 230K LCD Digital SLR Camera w/smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

While manufacturers' warranties may be 90 days on refurbs, the seller may have something more. I bought a refurbished 40D from Adorama a few years back and they had their own 1 year warranty. I used it for almost a year and the shutter died. Adorama didn't have any more 40D refurbs, so they gave me a refund (which I used for a 50D). Great place to buy a camera!
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Pentaxian

lmao, figuresd you would. for me the answer is more important as to the warranty in canada, I have the phone number someplace
I recently had my camera serviced at Pentax Canada and these numbers were quoted on the estimate.

The Pentax CSR Team
905-286-5585 x632
1-800-461-6203 x632

The 1-800 number may not work in the states.

Tuggie76
06-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well someone else go it. I'm still waiting for my K-x to sell, so my hands were tied.

Well, for future reference, here's what I found out from Pentax Canada and Carman's.

The uber-nice Canadian Pentax rep said factory-refurbished units in Canada do indeed bear a 90 day warranty. However she confirmed that Carmans had not been sold any refurb K-5's. She didn't want to say, but she eventually surmised that it went like this: Someone bought a K-5, and returned it to Carman's for a defect. Carman's replaced it for them out of their store stock, and then returned the defective unit to Pentax for repair. When it came back, it was previously sold so it couldn't be sold new. However, in the eyes of Pentax, it is still a new camera, and will have the full 1-year-warranty (2 in canada). So I asked how much of a gamble I'd be taking . . . she said not much, because Carman's is a "good, honest dealer."

So I rang up Carman's head office and asked for online sales. The guy I spoke with was equally nice, and knew the exact camera I was referring to. When I asked him about it, and I told him about the answer I got from Pentax USA about 90 days, he said basically the same thing that the Pentax lady had said, that it was a store stock repair, and it was considered previously sold, but new.

So, whoever got it, got a great deal.
06-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I make all of my purchases with a credit card that automatically offers an additional year of warranty. I believe it also allows you to purchase an extended warranty beyond that. Many cards offer similar benefits. If you're unsure about your card, do a Google search, or call the number on the back and ask the CSR about warranty. As long as you can pay the card off each month to avoid interest charges, I think it's a good idea to use a credit card for most purchases, since it gives you an extra layer of protection, and someone to advocate on your behalf in the event of a dispute.

The card I'm using now is the Visa Amazon rewards card. I like it because you get points to make purchases on Amazon.com. You get 3% back for any purchases on Amazon, and 2% for purchases at gas stations, restaurants, drugstores, and office supply stores. And you get 1% back in reward points for any other purchases. If you use the card for pretty much all of your purchases, the points add up quickly. I've also linked the card to my PayPal account, so I use it to pay for all of my eBay purchases. So right now I've got $70 to spend/blow on Amazon for the last couple month's purchases.

FYI, you can only use a credit card for the payment source on PayPal if your PayPal account is empty...otherwise, PayPal will automatically deduct the funds from your PayPal account. Probably so that they can avoid the 2-3% credit card fee. But I always enjoy the idea of PayPal having to eat credit card fees, since I've certainly paid plenty of PayPal fees for selling on eBay.

Here's a link to information on the Amazon rewards card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_13845911_rewards?...45911&#rewards

Please note, that this is for Amazon US, and the points cannot be used on Amazon's foreign sites (I tried, because I sometimes order blu-ray's from Amazon UK). But I think they also offer a similar rewards card for Amazon UK.