Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #1

advantage of CMOS

The upcoming K20 indicated that it uses CMOS. I read somewhere the advantage of CMOS is that it can take picture under low light conditions using extremely high ISO like 27000 but without being grainy. Is this really the case?? Thanks.

01-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No.

Nothing even remotely close.
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cmos has one specific point that is important, that is battery power, and the heat generated in the sensor.

There are some high end cameras with better high ISO capability, and I have also seen somewhere the 25000 figure pointed out but they are not credible for fine work. I believe the K20 is indicated to have 6400 ISO with equal to ISO 1600 on the K10 (but again this is from memory of something I have read) If it can do that, it is quite simply good enough for anyone. Hell I don't have a problem with the K10 at 1600 or the *istD qat 3200
01-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanguy Quote
The upcoming K20 indicated that it uses CMOS. I read somewhere the advantage of CMOS is that it can take picture under low light conditions using extremely high ISO like 27000 but without being grainy. Is this really the case?? Thanks.
Right from Samsung regarding their CMOS
QuoteQuote:
Low light sensitivity: Designed for high SNR at both low and high illumination
Not sure about any specific ISO level though.

01-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

From what I have read from many perusals, most of the CMOS vs CCD debate is surrounded by the issue of noise, and anecdotal evidence (not to discount its value, however).

Yet, from what I gather, the main reason, if it exists at all, as to why CCD *may* produce slightly more noise than CMOS sensors is that the extra tiny bit of heat produced by the CCD as compared to the CMOS will introduce slightly more noise to the picture?

I'm sure I may be wrong on this point, so if anyone knows the correct answer, I'm all ears!!!

Cheers,

T