Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are Pentax brave enough?

I wonder how they will market the K20D & K200D? No doubt there will be the mandatory "kit" lens package, but I wonder if Pentax have enough courage to really give the market place a shake and come up with a new, more agressive package directed at existing Pentax users, and the more advanced entry level / transitional photog who is looking for something more.

Existing Pentax owners will have a 'kit' lens of some sort, so I can't help but wonder how a limited edition packaged kit of say a 12-24 or a 14mm or a limited might go.

Pricing would have to be sharp, but it may be a very clever marketing tool to move a few lenses on the back (well, ok...front!) of the new cameras.

It will be interesting to watch how they go about this....so far the whole thing is a long way ahead of the K10D release.
Cheers
Grant

01-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There will always be a kit lens. While I understand and accept that existing owners will already have a multitude of lenses, there will be undoubtably some new users, This is the only way to approach the market, because if they only get existing pentax userd, or target at exusting users, let's face it, they have failed totally. They need new users, whether novices who take the K200 reported at 10 mP but probably less advanced and with more "easy to use" functions like landscape modes etc. or for more advanced useers who know how to make a camera work, and need or prefer more control themselves. The latter will take the K20

It wil be more important to see how they have packeged the bodies with more lenses accessories and flashes etc... I.E. the whole system approach.
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

While I have upgraded from the 18-55 kit, I have kept it to sell with my current camera, making it more "marketable". So if I buy a new camera, I will again get a kit lens with it, probably the mark 2 version of the 18-55?
01-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Has anybody confirmed the 18-55 II will be the kit lens for the K20D? I only ask because every single shot of it has had the 16-45 f/4 on it and can only wonder if they aren't going to use that.