Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Ed in GA

I can see a K20D in my future.

But, not the near future.

I'm still trying to learn all of the nifty features of My 3 month old K10D. Once I've mastered this camera, then I will move forward with the k20D.

After seeing the two videos that are on Youtube, I'm convinced that the K20D will be the "Cats Meow" of the high end Prosumer DSLRs for 2008. It's pretty impressive.

Ed

01-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, decisions decisions. I'm hankering for an upgrade from my istDs, but K20D? Don't know yet. I am pretty disappointed with the frame rate, but I already have the lenses for it, but it's focussing is the same, but it has in-body SR - aaauuugghhh. I'll probably go mad before I decide, and that's probably the easy way out!
01-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently bought my k10D and love it, so I can maybe see a k30d in my future.
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, or maybe a 645D?

01-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #5

Not to stir up anything, but in my personal (and only take it as that) opinion, the K20d was slightly underwhelming considering the buzz that was going around it. As someone moving to Pentax or upgrading from older equipment, I could see the merits of the 20d, but as a K10d owner who has owned it for under 10 months, and who has under 1.5k clicks on the shutter even after 10 months, have no reason to upgrade. Again, just my two cents.

The K200d, though, is a very nice surprise. Basically a K10d in a shrunk-down form. My only gripe is Pentax's decision to stick with the extremely small buffer size. For most people, this shouldn't be a problem, but there is the rare occasion where you would like to fire off a burst, and 4 image buffer seems to be slightly dated, in my personal opinion.

Anyone agree / disagree? I'm all for healthy debate ;-)

Cheers,

T
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Something that angers C and N fans is that they seem to introduce new cameras so frequently that just as soon as you buy one, you feel it is obsolete. It is a marketing strategy to keep the pipeline "churning." I am glad that the k20d is not so far beyond my k10d that I feel like I have to go out and buy another camera now. I am also happy that the k20d is going to be extremely competitive with cameras from other brands, so that people who are upgrading or getting into DSLR, will consider Pentax.
01-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
Not to stir up anything, but in my personal (and only take it as that) opinion, the K20d was slightly underwhelming considering the buzz that was going around it. As someone moving to Pentax or upgrading from older equipment, I could see the merits of the 20d, but as a K10d owner who has owned it for under 10 months, and who has under 1.5k clicks on the shutter even after 10 months, have no reason to upgrade. Again, just my two cents.

The K200d, though, is a very nice surprise. Basically a K10d in a shrunk-down form. My only gripe is Pentax's decision to stick with the extremely small buffer size. For most people, this shouldn't be a problem, but there is the rare occasion where you would like to fire off a burst, and 4 image buffer seems to be slightly dated, in my personal opinion.

Cheers,

T
Ask Pentax if can introduce a trade-in promotion for existing K10D/K100D owners, that might be something...

01-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a K10D. I have been thinking that I needed a backup body for my K10D but now i'm thinking I can use the K10D as the backup......
01-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ask Pentax if can introduce a trade-in promotion for existing K10D/K100D owners, that might be something...
When pigs fly
01-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote

Cheers,

T
I agree, if I had a K10 I wouldn't move. Usually every 2nd iteration is worth it, but just 1 is marginal.

Yeah and 4 image buffer on the K200 - that's a joke, even my istDs has about 8!
01-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I have a K10D. I have been thinking that I needed a backup body for my K10D but now i'm thinking I can use the K10D as the backup......
Some of us have back-ups for our K10D's - one of the *ist D models...

Like some others, about 1 year isn't just enough to get used to one camera, and I am very pleased with what the K10D has done for me (like the *ist D before it)...

So...

I am going to wait to see what people have to say about it and if Pentax make an upgrade in about 12 months time....

Peter
01-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think, my next body will be something in FF class. If it will be Pentax, it depends on market in the time of my "move forward". Till then, I'll be using my K100D, and I'll be using it A LOT.
01-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #13

I can see K20D or GX-20 in my future also. Around next autumn I'd say, a year after I bought GX-10. And I will surely not go FF, as samples of K20D which I've seen so far, are as good or nearly as good as FF top cameras can produce, and definetely better then low-end FF (Canon 5D) can produce.
01-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would love to get the K20D but I don't see it happening any time soon. One thing that is a bummer is that now if I wanted to get the K20D I would have to sell some gear. That being the *istds (that has not been out of the bag for a long time) and the K10D would have to go to convince the accountant that this was something I wanted. With the new model selling those two bodies will barley gather up enough for the extended warranty. I should have sold the *istds soon after getting the K10 when I could have still got a few hundred bucks for it. NOw if you can buy a new K10D for $550 and I bought it for $950 I would be lucky (i think) if I got $400. Same with the *istds, I bet I could barely fetch $200 for it. What do you guys think?
01-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will buy the K20D as soon as available. The image quality is going to be remarkable. Testers have already said it has less noise than K10D. You get more resolution, less noise, higher ISO settings, and the ability to fine tune each lens for focus. Add in live view and ability to calibrate the lcd screen. Wow. The K10D will become the back up and DS will go into the closet.
thanks
barondla