Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New K10D clunking

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to photography. I just received my K10D from Adorama this afternoon, and I've played around with it a bit. I've skimmed through what looks to be the relevant portions of the owner's manual, but I still have a question.

When I rotate the camera from landscape to protrait orientation (or vice versa) there is a slight clunking and a feeling of something sliding around a little inside. It's especially noticible when rotating 180 degrees, from protrait to portrait. Is this due to the image stabilization, or is there really something loose inside?

I did a quick search on this forum, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

01-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is most likely the plate with the sensor. Due to the shake reduction the sensor assembly "floats" inside the camera.

The other moving object would be the rotation sensor, but it is so tiny that I doubt you can feel it.
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, quick response. Thanks. My wife suggested it might be the rotation sensor, but I didn't really think so. I guess my main concern is that the box that had the camera (not the outer box it was mailed in) had some noticible damage, and that's making me wonder if the camera itself is okay. I charged the battery and took some pictures, and it seems to work fine, but I'm still a little worried that everything's all right.
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I just picked up my K10D and rotated in the way you described a couple times and heard/felt the same "clunking". I'm assuming it's the SR, but I'm not sure; however, I do think it's safe to say that the clunking is normal.

01-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Put your mind at ease. They all do that. The reason is Pentax's novel shake reduction system. The sensor frame is "floating" with respect to the camera frame. It is guided by electromagnets when operating. The neat thing about it is that because of the way it is designed, it not only compensates for up and down, and lateral shake, but also rotational shake. When you depress the shutter and slightly rotate the camera for instance. I believe it is the only SR system on any camera that does that. I have played with it quite a bit, and I really notice a big improvement when it is on (maybe too much caffiene?)
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

PentaxPoke, you're right about the Pentax SR system being the only one to date that adds rotational axis (roll) stabilization.
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by t.mauery Quote
Wow, quick response. Thanks. My wife suggested it might be the rotation sensor, but I didn't really think so.
Therein lies your problem! Your spouse is always right! ;-)

Cheers,

T (who is far too young to even fully appreciate the meaning and joys of marriage)

01-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful responses, everybody. I'm relieved to know that it's supposed to work that way. I have noticed the SR system working, in that I've been able to get some "decent" shots down to 1/30s with the kit lens.

Fireball, I'll relay your response to my wife. Over the past ten years, I've almost come to the conclusion that she is always right!