Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seemingly no difference between AF/MF

I have a K200D and just got a KatzEye screen today and installed it. So I was trying some manual focus and it's not quite working the way I thought it would. There doesn't seem to be any difference between MF and AF. When I set to MF, the camera will still autofocus, and when I turn the focus ring (on the FA 50/1.4), there's a lot of resistance and it sounds like I'm cranking the AF motor manually, the same sound you get when you turn the focusing ring in AF mode. I thought the focusing ring action was supposed to be low-resistance and smooth, like it is when I have the lens physically detached from the camera. I've tried with both of the lenses in my signature.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is my AF/MF button completely not working?

I have read the manual and searched the forums, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I think I'll refrain from manual focusing until I can be sure I'm not destroying my lenses.

Thanks.

06-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

unfortunately, you may have done damage to the screw drive focus mechanism on the lens....
06-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I had done damage to the screw drive focus mechanism, wouldn't AF not work properly either?

I don't think I'd used MF in 2.5 years, and that was with strictly MF lenses. A couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the KatzEye screen, I'd switched to MF and tried the focus ring and noticed then that it seemed to be cranking the screw drive.
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #4

I have this exact issue with my K200d. Unfortunately when I went to pick up the camera one day a month or so ago, the strap caught on a stool, pulling the camera out of my hands. Unfortunately the camera swung down and struck the bottom of the stool. Fortunately, the only issue is that the AF/MF switch, while it does move, doesn't actually switch the camera out of AF. While searching for potential fixes (not like I really thought there would be), I noticed this seems to have happened to a few K200Ds out there.

06-29-2012, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Hold the quick-release button down (carefully, don't drop the lens!) and you'll be in MF mode

And for the record I did the same with my non-QS lenses a while back and I've never noticed any drop in screw-drive AF performance. Don't sweat it, but I wouldn't encourage it.
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove the lens. Look at the AF screw drive in the camera's lens mount ring as you select MF and AF with the body switch. In MF the screw should be retracted. If it's NOT, your AF switch isn't working properly and AF is mechanically engaged even though the switch is in manual.

If the screw drive IS retracted when in the MF position, any unusual condition must be in the lens itself. Compare the lens with other AF lenses.

Note: the AF indication (and beep) in the VF operates regardless of the MF/AF body switch position (although some effects may be deselected in the Menus).

H2
06-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. When I set it to MF without a lens on, I don't see anything retract on the mount ring. When I press the lens release button with no lens on, I see two thingies retract. Consequently, the work-around that involves pressing the release button while manually focusing does work, although it's a bit of a hassle.

The question then is, should I press on with the KatzEye focusing screen, or should I return it? I do like that the VF is brighter, but I don't know if I would have been willing to pay $160 for just a brighter VF.

06-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
The question then is, should I press on with the KatzEye focusing screen, or should I return it? I do like that the VF is brighter, but I don't know if I would have been willing to pay $160 for just a brighter VF.
You do realize that the problem you are having with the lack of AF disengagement is not related to your focusing screen, don't you?
06-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Set the lens to manual mode and slip a very thin barrier between the lens and lens mount screw to disengage the AF function if you want to play with manual focus. A small tab of thin, transparent tape (Scotch?) or aluminum foil works. Some folks recommend balancing the tab with a second tab on the opposite side of the mount to prevent any slightest tendency to act as a "tilt" lens in the mount.

The MF switch simply slides a locking tab over the AF screw spring to hold it in the disengaged position. It's a simple mechanical device and easily repaired.

This defect is an excellent excuse to acquire some of the classic ol' SMC M- and A-class, manual focus lenses.

H2

Don' need no stinkin' AF anyway.
06-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
You do realize that the problem you are having with the lack of AF disengagement is not related to your focusing screen, don't you?
I do. But in my opinion, there's not much point in having an expensive focusing screen if one cannot disengage the AF. Turning the focusing ring means forcing the screw drive to by brute force and is not as easy as when the screw drive is disengaged.
06-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

This defect is an excellent excuse to acquire some of the classic ol' SMC M- and A-class, manual focus lenses.

H2

Don' need no stinkin' AF anyway.
I presented three options to my wife, one of which was to acquire some MF lenses (the others being return the screen because the whole reason i got it was to start manually focusing, and also just to live with it). She hasn't replied yet
06-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I do. But in my opinion, there's not much point in having an expensive focusing screen if one cannot disengage the AF. Turning the focusing ring means forcing the screw drive to by brute force and is not as easy as when the screw drive is disengaged.
It is kind of a bummer, but besides the workarounds that people have described, I think you need to get your camera fixed. I do a lot of manual focusing. Personally I wouldn't give it up. It forces me to see what I am shooting, and I enjoy that. I went the cheaper option of the S-type screens from focusingscreen.com. I like them though.
07-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Against all odds, my wife consented to the purchase of one manual lens! I chose the 50 mm f/1.7.
07-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #14

Against all odds, my wife consented to the purchase of one manual lens! I chose the 50 mm f/1.7.
I can assure you, you'll greatly regret this decision. That is a very fine lens. It was in fact my first manual focus lens purchase, and I absolutely adore it. Still probably top 3 favorite lenses. M50 F1.7. Why will you regret it, you ask, if I enjoy it so much? because it's a gateway lens. Gateway to the bitter sweet joy and poison that is LBA, or Lens Buying Addiction. It started with that lens. Then I found the A50 F2.8 macro for a dirt cheap price. I wish I could remember the order, but I can tell you I now have 2 M50 F1.7s, the 50 macro, a sears 50 F1.4, a.... ok, I'll stop listing, there are more. not as many as some *cough RioRico cough*, but more than i'm able to use in about 4 months if I were to use one each week. Let's just say lens buying ADDICTION is right.

I'd say I hope you enjoy that 50mm (A?M?), but I know you will; so congrats on the authorization to get one, and the excellent choice on the model chosen.
07-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually with the crop sensor you will likely find the 50mm focal length too narrow a FOV for 75% of the things the lens was originally designed for. My A50 1.4 spends all its time on the K1000 for just that reason. An A35mm F2.8 would be a much more useable alternative and you can actually occasionally find one unlike the F2 version.

If you want something you won't get sick of for MF find yourself an A35-105 F3.5, its worth whatever you need to pay for it (usually under $200). Though with a MF zoom you either have to turn SR off or compromise in some way.