Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The use of the AF button and the de-coupling of AF from the shutter button allows me to usd my DSLR's just like I did my manual cameras.

Manual SLR:
See something to shoot. Put camera up to eye (no buttons pushed). Decide on what to focus -Focus. Look at scene - sometimes after taking the camera away from my eye), find object to meter off of. Look through VF and set exposure (old one was a match needle - LED's acutally - not a Pentax). Compose image - refocus as necessary. Make the exposure.

DSLR:
See something to shoot. Put camera up to eye (tap shutter button to power on). Decide on what to focus and push AF button (using center AF). Look at scene - sometimes after taking the camera away from my eye), find object to meter off of. Look through VF and set exposure (AE-L). Compose image - refocus as necessary (using AF button or manually turning the focus ring - no need to switch anything off or on). Make the exposure.

Now this is just my way of doing things - no better or no worse than keeping everything auto all the time. I find myself locking the exposure - then deciding that the exposure is not really right or I just do not like the shutter speed or f:stop (I use AV 99.999%). All I have to do is release the shutter button - then find the "object" that I wish to meter off of - recompose and shoot. Now if I did that with AF coupled to the shutter button --- and here is the key ---- the CAMERA starts to look for something to focus on --- not ME.

As for using left/right eye - do whatever you need to do - I am right eyed and I find my nose hitting the Menu or Info button - Oh for old manual cameras with no buttons on the back at all - simplicity, what is wrong with that? Now what ever you do with the AF button - or OK button on the *ist Ds - is just fine with me. I just prefer to be in control - with all the fuss about "AF is slow and s*cks" going on here - make the change - take control. If you use manual focus most of the time - using this technique will allow you to use AF - only when you want to - otherwise it is manual away.

I do not use a grip - these cameras are getting to big to fit into my carry aroud bag anyway. If I wanted a 3 pound body I would have bought a N*kon/C*non in the first place. I see no need (for me) to ever get a grip ----- so to speak.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I say what PDL said.

PDL, you saved me a LOT of typing.

01-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a go with de-coupling the AF from the shutter button, and to me, the feeling of moving my thumb over to the AF button just didn't feel natural. Instead, I prefer to flick the focus mode switch to MF using my left hand, and this action feels a much more natural and comfortable.
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

not enough mechanical feedback

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
To Gimbal: There's an alternative to your method.

If one is shooting the same scene again, after you do a full press (taking a picture), return your hand to the half press instead of completely off. You'll be able to go full press again to take another picture without the camera requiring a refocus. If you have a quickshift enabled lens, you can adjust your focus as well during this time without the camera trying to change the focus back.

I don't use the AF to set focus, I'm (sounds like one of the few) that switches lens to manual focus while holding it down. It's a very quick way to disable focusing (instead of the side lever to MF). As a result, I keep my half press coupled with AF.
Interesting method - however - I find that the mechanical feedback on the shutter button to be, how should I say this ----, to subtle? Back in the old days, on the manual SLR's the meter was powered on buy pressing the shutter button - so the idea of powering up the camera that way is - part of the normal flow. But, there was the mechanical trigger that fired the shutter - and that required substantially more force to be applied. The inability to distinctively feel that spot is one of the few - and minor - complaints I have about the K10D -- not enough to make me jump ship however. Although with the K20D not having a bottle opener built in --- the first C*non/N*kon that has that, just may make me move (err. that is humor folks)

Now, given that I am getting on in years and my fingers are not what they used to be - no nasty remarks here please - I have developed a "comfort zone" using the de-coupled AF technique. It works for me - even when hand holding my 300mm old school Vivitar (set it to manual and use AF to set off the little green hexagon). If I were to try to "find" the half press again - I would be consentrating on my finger tip - not looking through the viewfinder at the subject.

Your milage will vary, for me the AF button method is very similar to the way I have taken images with SLR's for nearly 40 years. The only difference is - push the button - replaces - twist the focus ring.

May you never run out of SD cards and may your batteries never fail.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'm too used to using the shutter button to decouple it and pass the autofocusing over to the back AF button. I essentially ignore that button. Works for me.

01-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
OK, all of your responses have motivated me to try the AF button in some different scenarios. I can see how in some cases it would be nice to deactivate the shutter focus and use AF. One thing I just noticed though, is that if I want to take a quick shot with one hand it is much harder to use the AF button, because you have to slide your thumb away from that nice ergonomic lip that allows you to hold the camera steady with your thumb.
This is why I don't use the AF button myself. I wish they could put it somewhere else--perhaps around on the front of the camera, where I could use my middle finger to press it.

Will
01-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
To Gimbal: There's an alternative to your method.

If one is shooting the same scene again, after you do a full press (taking a picture), return your hand to the half press instead of completely off. You'll be able to go full press again to take another picture without the camera requiring a refocus. If you have a quickshift enabled lens, you can adjust your focus as well during this time without the camera trying to change the focus back.
Yes, but that only works when shooting several pictures in a very short time span. I like to put the camera down while waiting for next opportunity. Then when the right time comes, lift the camera and -fire. (might even use manual exposure if the background is messy light wise, to ensure consistent exposure)
01-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I use it as a kind of Focus Lock feature.

Sometimes I get the focus distance that I want and leave it there for the next few shots , and I don't want the the camera to refocus every shot, especially if I change the composition slightly.

Keeping the shutter button halfway down does the same job, but you have to keep your finger there - not always convenient.