Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you use the AF button?

I am just curious how people use the rear AF button on thier k10d. I am so used to the half-way push on the shutter button to focus that I don't even think about it. I thought that there might be some other better technique that some of you have found, that makes use of the AF button.

01-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't, but a lot of people have turned off the half press AF on the shutter button and use the rear AF instead.
01-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

i find it to be a bit of a help most of the time. I got myself used to using it and just clicking the shutter away.
01-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I usually take more then one photo at any given subject and I don’t want to focus and recompose for every single frame. So I focus once and forget about it, then just aim and fire at will.

01-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
exclusively

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I am just curious how people use the rear AF button on thier k10d. I am so used to the half-way push on the shutter button to focus that I don't even think about it. I thought that there might be some other better technique that some of you have found, that makes use of the AF button.
The first thing I did when I bought my K10D was de-couple AF from the shutter button. It took me nearly 6 months to figure out how to do the same thing on the *ist Ds and use the OK button. When I got my SF-1 and AF was only connected to the shutter button - it drove me nuts. It is very difficult to get what I want in focus if everytime I push the shutter button to get an exposure reading - the d*mn camera goes off searching for something to focus on.

Just do a search for AF and PDL - there are boring war stories out there that will make you numb.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #6

As a result of this thread I have now used the rear AF button for the first time

My initial thought: Yeah... that might work, actually....
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The first thing I did when I bought my K10D was de-couple AF from the shutter button. It took me nearly 6 months to figure out how to do the same thing on the *ist Ds and use the OK button. When I got my SF-1 and AF was only connected to the shutter button - it drove me nuts. It is very difficult to get what I want in focus if everytime I push the shutter button to get an exposure reading - the d*mn camera goes off searching for something to focus on.

Just do a search for AF and PDL - there are boring war stories out there that will make you numb.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I actually tried searching the forum on this topic first, but it won't let me search for "AF and PDL" because AF is under the "minimum word length" Huh? You must feel very strongly about the shutter AF. Does it boil down then to that you find it better to use a "half push" on the shutter switch to meter exposure, and the AF when you are ready to focus? I have been using the green button for exposure which I really like (hence my earlier post: "I LOVE the green button"

01-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I was wondering about this the other day. I never use the AF button. At the time, I couldn't think of a reason for it but Gimbal's post got me thinking about those times when using a tripod, shooting a sunset or flower in changing light conditions or something where you're not re-composing so you don't need to re-focus. You'd want the images to have the same focus points so the half-press would kinda suck.
I don't shoot like that too often so chances are I'll forget about this method when it's usefull to me and just do my usual thing. Oh well.
CW
01-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cwaters Quote
I was wondering about this the other day. I never use the AF button. At the time, I couldn't think of a reason for it but Gimbal's post got me thinking about those times when using a tripod, shooting a sunset or flower in changing light conditions or something where you're not re-composing so you don't need to re-focus. You'd want the images to have the same focus points so the half-press would kinda suck.
I don't shoot like that too often so chances are I'll forget about this method when it's usefull to me and just do my usual thing. Oh well.
CW
Not saying one way or another is right, but I find it just as easy in that type of situation to set the focus, and then just flip the lever on the front to Manual Focus.
01-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

No and Yes.

I never used it, si I've changed the AF button to reset the focus point to the center.
Very convenient!
You'll need firmware rev 1.3 for this.

- Bert
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When you set the rear AF button to "off", then when on AF-C, if you push the button, it will disengage the autofocus while it is held (this info is NOT in the user manual). Set this way, it comes ih handy when the action changes direction or when on AF-C and for any reasons, you need to freeze focus.
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
and
Veteran Member

I do, when Im not MFing. But it bugs the hell outta me that there isnt one on the battery grip!!!
01-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Inactive Account

My new K10D just arrived last week. I've not reallyhad time to play with it properly. But I have noticed the shutter release is much more sensitive than my *istDS and so harder to find that 'half-press' setting. I made a mental note to try using the AF button the back...........

.......second though...just looking at K10D body here........it's pretty difficult to reach itif your using the BG in portrait.......maybe i should just go and play with the shutter release until i'm acustomed to the feel rather than sitting here posting....working i mean...
01-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I use it periodically depending on what I'm shooting, Macros on occasion or trying to shoot wildlife etc. I agree with And that it should be on the grip as well. My issue is that I can only see out of my left eye well (from birth) so I have to shoot with the left eye on the viewfinder which moves my face over some of the controls. I'm used to it but it makes a few functions a little tougher to use. So MF or the half press work for me well. Just hold the button down to lock focus and don't move the finger till I'm ready to shoot.
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, all of your responses have motivated me to try the AF button in some different scenarios. I can see how in some cases it would be nice to deactivate the shutter focus and use AF. One thing I just noticed though, is that if I want to take a quick shot with one hand it is much harder to use the AF button, because you have to slide your thumb away from that nice ergonomic lip that allows you to hold the camera steady with your thumb.