Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
try a different search

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I actually tried searching the forum on this topic first, but it won't let me search for "AF and PDL" because AF is under the "minimum word length" Huh? You must feel very strongly about the shutter AF. Does it boil down then to that you find it better to use a "half push" on the shutter switch to meter exposure, and the AF when you are ready to focus? I have been using the green button for exposure which I really like (hence my earlier post: "I LOVE the green button"
Try the word "button" and PDL - you will get a list. This is somewhat of a soap box for me - I dispise having AF connected to the shutter button. I have said it before so here it goes "This is one of the most stupid things camera companies ever did".

There - I feel better.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

01-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #17

Hi all, as a beginning k10d user, I have some basic questions about all of this AF conversation if someone has the patience to break it down for me ..
- What are some situations that demonstrate the difference between the AF.S and the AF.C modes?
- Re: the AF button on the back, I get that when this is activated there is no need to re-focus every shot. That leaves me with a seemingly stupid question: How do I know when it is activated? When I press it, I look for an icon somewhere to tell me it's "on" and see nothing. Or, do I need to keep it pressed down? (that seems inlikely)

Thanks!
01-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF.S is single focus. In other words you have a stationary subject, like a portrait, still life or landscape and you focus the subject/scene and shoot.

AF.C is continuous focus. Moving subject and the focus system tries to follow the subject and make constant focus adjustments until the shutter is fired.

With the AF button on the back you might set up the shot and use that button to get the focus. If the half press is de activated on the shutter button, the camera will stay at that focus setting when the shutter fires.

The icon to look for is the green six sided light in the lower part of the viewfinder. When focus is acheived, the light will light up. You will also see the lens go in and out of focus to lock the focus point (plus hear the lens turning to focus).

To make it work you must first go to the Custom settings in the menu and go to the 3rd page. Look for "AF button function" select that and a sub menu appears, there select "enable AF".
01-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Try the word "button" and PDL - you will get a list. This is somewhat of a soap box for me - I dispise having AF connected to the shutter button. I have said it before so here it goes "This is one of the most stupid things camera companies ever did".

There - I feel better.

BTW PDL, I understand your point but as I outlined earlier, I'm glad the feature is there and user selectable. Since my right eye is basically blind and I have to cover most of the camera body with my face while using the left eye to look in the viewfinder, I need the half press much of the time. It's simply not easy to get a finger in there and hit the AF button, look through the viewfinder and fire the shutter. Without that feature, AF would be difficult for me to use consistently.

Every camera is designed for right eye use. Just put the camera to your left eye and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

01-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
BTW PDL, I understand your point but as I outlined earlier, I'm glad the feature is there and user selectable. Since my right eye is basically blind and I have to cover most of the camera body with my face while using the left eye to look in the viewfinder, I need the half press much of the time. It's simply not easy to get a finger in there and hit the AF button, look through the viewfinder and fire the shutter. Without that feature, AF would be difficult for me to use consistently.

Every camera is designed for right eye use. Just put the camera to your left eye and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Peter, if it's any consolation, even tho I have use of both my eyes, I never knew this "right eye" default to all cameras, and therefore have always used my left eye. With that being said, when I was using the left eye and trying to use the AF button I was thinking to myself, gosh my finger and nose get in the way! Thanks to your post, I changed to my right eye and VOILA!

So, in short ... I validate what you say, and appreciate the "duh" moment it created for me !
01-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

set my af button to af-cancel
01-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
set my af button to af-cancel
That's what I was going to say. I use the AF button all the time, in fact, almost every time. But, like you, I use it to cancel autofocus. I'll use the half-press to focus (if possible) and if I don't like the focus, or it doesn't lock, then I press AF to cancel and manually focus the lens, and expose. (However, this only works with DA lenses with the clutch focusing mechanism. Doesn't work with FA lenses, or just about all 3rd-party lenses.)

01-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
That's what I was going to say. I use the AF button all the time, in fact, almost every time. But, like you, I use it to cancel autofocus. I'll use the half-press to focus (if possible) and if I don't like the focus, or it doesn't lock, then I press AF to cancel and manually focus the lens, and expose. (However, this only works with DA lenses with the clutch focusing mechanism. Doesn't work with FA lenses, or just about all 3rd-party lenses.)
Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I can see how that will work for me on the rare occaision I have a hunting AF in very low light. Just switched mine to AF-cancel.

Thanks!
01-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I can see how that will work for me on the rare occaision I have a hunting AF in very low light. Just switched mine to AF-cancel.

Thanks!
Gotta say however that I have a split-screen/microprism collar focusing screen in my bodies, so it is easy to tell when I don't get the focus I want, or need.
01-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I do, when Im not MFing. But it bugs the hell outta me that there isnt one on the battery grip!!!
Yes this is the only reason I am holding back purchasing the grip. If only the EV button on the grip could be customized as AF button. Not that Pentax would listen to the variuos forum and update the firmware!
01-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks!
yeah..in some cases it's easier to hit that than toggle the switch..(or if you just want to MF for that shot). been shooting w/ the halfway method for 10 years....and i dont see myself changing.

re-grip....if i cant af in vertical mode, i just toggle it..
the grip is far too useful for me in other areas than not having the af button
01-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I am just curious how people use the rear AF button on thier k10d. I am so used to the half-way push on the shutter button to focus that I don't even think about it. I thought that there might be some other better technique that some of you have found, that makes use of the AF button.
I use it to disable the AF, similar to the OK button on my DS. It's a setting on the custom tab. The K10D button isn't as conveniently placed as on the DS, though, so it isn't as natural to use it.

P.S. Go Pokes!
01-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
PDL
Pentaxian

The use of the AF button and the de-coupling of AF from the shutter button allows me to usd my DSLR's just like I did my manual cameras.

Manual SLR:
See something to shoot. Put camera up to eye (no buttons pushed). Decide on what to focus -Focus. Look at scene - sometimes after taking the camera away from my eye), find object to meter off of. Look through VF and set exposure (old one was a match needle - LED's acutally - not a Pentax). Compose image - refocus as necessary. Make the exposure.

DSLR:
See something to shoot. Put camera up to eye (tap shutter button to power on). Decide on what to focus and push AF button (using center AF). Look at scene - sometimes after taking the camera away from my eye), find object to meter off of. Look through VF and set exposure (AE-L). Compose image - refocus as necessary (using AF button or manually turning the focus ring - no need to switch anything off or on). Make the exposure.

Now this is just my way of doing things - no better or no worse than keeping everything auto all the time. I find myself locking the exposure - then deciding that the exposure is not really right or I just do not like the shutter speed or f:stop (I use AV 99.999%). All I have to do is release the shutter button - then find the "object" that I wish to meter off of - recompose and shoot. Now if I did that with AF coupled to the shutter button --- and here is the key ---- the CAMERA starts to look for something to focus on --- not ME.

As for using left/right eye - do whatever you need to do - I am right eyed and I find my nose hitting the Menu or Info button - Oh for old manual cameras with no buttons on the back at all - simplicity, what is wrong with that? Now what ever you do with the AF button - or OK button on the *ist Ds - is just fine with me. I just prefer to be in control - with all the fuss about "AF is slow and s*cks" going on here - make the change - take control. If you use manual focus most of the time - using this technique will allow you to use AF - only when you want to - otherwise it is manual away.

I do not use a grip - these cameras are getting to big to fit into my carry aroud bag anyway. If I wanted a 3 pound body I would have bought a N*kon/C*non in the first place. I see no need (for me) to ever get a grip ----- so to speak.

Last edited by PDL; 01-26-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wording
01-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
Syb
Veteran Member

... if I want to take a quick shot with one hand it is much harder to use the AF button, because you have to slide your thumb away from that nice ergonomic lip that allows you to hold the camera steady with your thumb.
The same is true when you are dealing with heavy glass. It is hardly doable with a 1.7AF TC on a A*300mm/2.8. You really need your thumb then...

... or a good tripod of course
01-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I usually take more then one photo at any given subject and I don’t want to focus and recompose for every single frame. So I focus once and forget about it, then just aim and fire at will.
To Gimbal: There's an alternative to your method.

If one is shooting the same scene again, after you do a full press (taking a picture), return your hand to the half press instead of completely off. You'll be able to go full press again to take another picture without the camera requiring a refocus. If you have a quickshift enabled lens, you can adjust your focus as well during this time without the camera trying to change the focus back.

I don't use the AF to set focus, I'm (sounds like one of the few) that switches lens to manual focus while holding it down. It's a very quick way to disable focusing (instead of the side lever to MF). As a result, I keep my half press coupled with AF.