Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
I can't imagine them not releasing a refreshed K-5 with a crop sensor. Lots of people have big money invested in DA and DA* lenses which are not "officially" compatible with FF (though I know some do unofficially work).

While the K-30 is nice, Pro's are going to want a metal body, grip, a PC Socket for flash, ISO 80, etc. So a 24MP crop body with all the K-5's accouterments, plus a few of the K-30's bonus features, would be a nice upgrade for those people.

Leaving a gap where the K-5 was and putting a FF body above it would force anyone upgrading from a K-5 to either re-invest in glass, or take a somewhat-downgrade from a K-5.

Heck, if they're going to do that, they might as well keep selling the K-5, maybe with a processor upgrade to the Prime M to allow Focus peaking, h.264, etc.
I agree.... but if a 24mp sensor has more noise, then 16mp is fine enough. good point on the lens factor.

thanks

randy

07-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I agree.... but if a 24mp sensor has more noise, then 16mp is fine enough.
Probably right. I was happy with the overall resolution of my K-x, and 16mp out of my upcoming K-5 is going to be more than enough for me for the foreseeable future. However, I just don't think a refreshed K-5 with Prime M, focus peaking, and "better" AF (this is still a point of debate) would be a worthy upgrade for current K-5 owners without a MP bump.
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I am guessing with only a few official hints that Pentax will have 4 new dslr cameras announced by March 1. All of them will be APS-C cameras.
1. K-300 (at least a camera below the K30) to be out on the market in time for Holiday sales ($600 USD price).
2. K-30 already announced and is now reaching the market place ($850 USD price).
3. K-5n to be announced just before Photokina and will be an updated K-5 using the new Prime M processor, the newer 16 MP sensor, improved AF and focus peaking. It might even have a tilt screen ($1,250 USD price).
4. K-3 to be announced at CP+ in late January. It will have a the 24 MP sensor and a lot more very advance features like a hydbrid optical/digital viewfinder and more AF points ($1,750 USD price).

We will not see a FF Pentax until late in 2013 or even at CP+ in January 2014, but I do believe FF will come, but Pentax needs to get a full line-up of APS-C cameras out first and a few FF lenses.

Dave
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to why they would update a K-5n to the "newer" 16MP sensor when it is 12-bit vs 14-bit and the K-5 has lower minimum ISO than the K-30? Some might see this as a downgrade when it comes to shadow detail.

Also, I thought the K-01 was aiming at the capabilities of the K-300 in your scheme. It lacks weather seal, RAW burst speed, has fewer button controls, is small . . . if you didn't know it was mirrorless, it sounds like you're describing the K-r.

07-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm curious as to why they would update a K-5n to the "newer" 16MP sensor when it is 12-bit vs 14-bit and the K-5 has lower minimum ISO than the K-30? Some might see this as a downgrade when it comes to shadow detail.

Also, I thought the K-01 was aiming at the capabilities of the K-300 in your scheme. It lacks weather seal, RAW burst speed, has fewer button controls, is small . . . if you didn't know it was mirrorless, it sounds like you're describing the K-r.
I think until the k30 is sold, it is hard to say which will have better high ISO performance.
I remember when my K10 was released, it was the be the end all and be all in the high ISO performance (sample pics showed extremely low noise at 1600 ISO... until is got released into the real world
I think what controls the color bits is likely more to do with the image processor then the actual sensor its self.

thanks

randy
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I didn't say the high ISO was better, if anything, I think they're equal. I was referring to the ISO 80 availability on the K-5.
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't say the high ISO was better, if anything, I think they're equal. I was referring to the ISO 80 availability on the K-5.
not owning a K5, is ISO 80 that much better then ISO 100?
thanks for clearing this up,

randy

07-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It's only 1/3 stop difference, but it theoretically has less noise and can be helpful when trying to use a wider aperture in bright light. Ultimately it's just more flexible.
07-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've used ISO 80 when trying to blur out water in conditions where there is too much light. Really, in this scenario, it is best just to go back to the spot later in the day.

I thought the expanded ISO of 80 wasn't "as good" as the normal ISO of 100 in terms of DR. Am I wrong?
07-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I've used ISO 80 when trying to blur out water in conditions where there is too much light. Really, in this scenario, it is best just to go back to the spot later in the day.

I thought the expanded ISO of 80 wasn't "as good" as the normal ISO of 100 in terms of DR. Am I wrong?
I think it's more like "not any better". Since it is expanded, it's just a trick of the analog-digital converter to make it capture less light, so it's not like it's going to be inherently less noisy than ISO100. It's just an expanded option.
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The new 16 MP sensor just might also have the ability of doing 14-bit. There were cameras that used the old 16 MP sensor that just had 12-bit and others getting 16-bit out of it.

We just don't know anything about the K-5n yet. One rumor has a tilt screen on it. My guess is that it will just be a very small/minor update just to have a new camera to sell until the new K-3 is released in the spring.

The K-300 will be very much like an updated K-r.

Dave