Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What will fill the hole?

Let's say they do produce the FF. It will likely be quite a bit higher priced then the K30.So what will fill the hole?
Will it be a pimped out K30? New from the ground up?
I think Pentax knows there are people like myself that are on the fence about FF (really would love to have one but made the "digital" lens investment)

Any thoughts? Will it just be a warmed over K30?

Thanks

Randy

06-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A warmed over K-30... you mean like a K-30 with an FF sensor, even better AF and 14 bit color depth and pro feature set. I'm having a little trouble understanding how that would qualify as "warmed over." I've held a K-30 and it's hot. Hot plus warmed over = super hot.
06-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There was some kind of leaked flyer (from Canon Rumors of all places) that showed the successor as having a 24mp sensor. Most everything else were just minor improvements, i.e. the same amount of AF focus points as now, but better SAFOX system, etc. Don't know how real it is though.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-30-2012 at 08:12 AM.
06-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would not consider any FF unless it is a Pentax version and the size similar to the k-5 or k-30..... but that is just me....

06-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think that, more than a warmed over K-30, it'll be a warmed over K5...K5 ruggedness with K30 improvements and better video.
06-30-2012, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Have you been visiting the News & Rumors section lately? These guys are dying struggling to keep it alive, scouting the Chinese websites all day long, and they have NOTHING!
So, the rest of us, we wait in silence and expectation... Such a tragic fate. Or we could enjoy what we have NOW. But were's the fun in that?
06-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Or we could enjoy what we have NOW. But were's the fun in that?
Bite your tongue...

06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Have you been visiting the News & Rumors section lately? These guys are dying struggling to keep it alive, scouting the Chinese websites all day long, and they have NOTHING!
So, the rest of us, we wait in silence and expectation... Such a tragic fate. Or we could enjoy what we have NOW. But were's the fun in that?
Agree.... but it would be a lot more fun with your K5 then my K10

thanks

randy
06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
it would be a lot more fun with your K5 then my K10
Well I guess that's a fair point. However, you know it's going for pretty cheap nowadays? If it were me intending to buy this summer I would have a hard time choosing between the K-5 and K-30, offering similar features (with differences of course) at similar prices...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bite your tongue...
I know I might be stepping on some toes here...
Anyway, that's just talk, because in fact, I actually read the N&R forum everyday hoping something happens!
06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I guess that's a fair point. However, you know it's going for pretty cheap nowadays? If it were me intending to buy this summer I would have a hard time choosing between the K-5 and K-30, offering similar features (with differences of course) at similar prices...
If the K30 had a grip for an extra battery, to me it would win hands down

randy
06-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

See, we don't have the same priorities apparently.
I would not like losing the top LCD screen (thus losing power by having the rear screen turned on), the extra color depth, the extra burst speed... But, I don't care about the grip
I must admit though, that having an improved AF system, focus peeking in MF, a little less weight and the ability to take AA batteries is appealing.
Also, I might be in the minority here but I actually don't like the looks of the K-30: a bit too "flashy" for my taste! But, tastes and colors...
So do you actually plan a purchase soon? Or just toying with the idea for now?
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

So do you actually plan a purchase soon? Or just toying with the idea for now?
I hoping for 2013 but my timeline might not be the same as the wife's
06-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think that, more than a warmed over K-30, it'll be a warmed over K5...K5 ruggedness with K30 improvements and better video.
Yup. I suspect a K-3 with 24MP, focus peeking, better AF & more video features. Hopefully the same classic look as the K-5 and same weather sealing. In a perfect world, it would have wifi and live view tethering on the computer. Also, weather-sealing and quick shift updates to some of the limiteds. Either way, judging by the K-30, the K-5 successor will be one hot camera.

In a really perfect world, it would make breakfast for me before I wake up in the morning.
07-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Yup. I suspect a K-3 with 24MP, focus peeking, better AF & more video features. Hopefully the same classic look as the K-5 and same weather sealing. In a perfect world, it would have wifi and live view tethering on the computer. Also, weather-sealing and quick shift updates to some of the limiteds. Either way, judging by the K-30, the K-5 successor will be one hot camera.

In a really perfect world, it would make breakfast for me before I wake up in the morning.
But will it have a cropped sensor?
If a new model had all the features of the K5, but with the focus peaking and faster auto focus I not sure I would even bother with FF unless the price difference is close

Thanks

Randy
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine them not releasing a refreshed K-5 with a crop sensor. Lots of people have big money invested in DA and DA* lenses which are not "officially" compatible with FF (though I know some do unofficially work).

While the K-30 is nice, Pro's are going to want a metal body, grip, a PC Socket for flash, ISO 80, etc. So a 24MP crop body with all the K-5's accouterments, plus a few of the K-30's bonus features, would be a nice upgrade for those people.

Leaving a gap where the K-5 was and putting a FF body above it would force anyone upgrading from a K-5 to either re-invest in glass, or take a somewhat-downgrade from a K-5.

Heck, if they're going to do that, they might as well keep selling the K-5, maybe with a processor upgrade to the Prime M to allow Focus peaking, h.264, etc.