Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #1

pentax D-BG-1

If anybody has the battery grip please let me know what you think of it.
I read it has AV/TV dail controls on it. was wondering if it's like the K10D
where the A/v dail is at the index finger and the T/v dail is at the thumb.
If anybody could supply some pictures with it on the camera that would be cool.
Oh if you have one you wanna get rid of at a good price PM me. lol

12-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it's good, i find it very useful. adds a significant amount of weight, but I myself find it better w/ a bit of heft. it has a shutter, front and rear e-dials, a green button, AE-L and EV compensation button. I find the thumb controls (rear e-dial, AE-L and EV-C) are a bit hard to press, but i think they made it that way due to the sealing, and it can or might be pressed while in normal orientation (i have pressed the green or shutter released on the grip while viewing pics by accident on occasion)

another annoying thing w/ it is the fact that it only holds one battery. so if the battery on the body dies, you gotta take out the grip to get to it. (I have it set to use grip power first, then body) I do like the sd card and remote control f storage.

overall i am happy w/ it. the extra weight is a welcome one..(for me)

to answer your question...the e-dials will be the same as you set them on the body.....so if u have the front e-dial set as Av on P mode, then it will be the same on the grip..other wise it will be the default.....on both ends...(front e-dial = shutter, rear e-dial=aperture)
12-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote

the extra weight is a welcome one..(for me)

t
I, too, would welcome the extra weight. 'just ordered my grip, about an hour ago, and can't wait until it gets in. I also have to say (looking at your photo) that the attached grip makes the camera look even more impressive).
12-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i've seen it in brochures, and on the internet, even held it w/ the grip on the photo show..but I tell ya, i still stared at it, and just plain played w/ it for a good amount of time soon as got home when I bought the grip...

12-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Jon,

I never got to hold a K10 w/the grip, but I had seen a photo of the pairing, before. Your photo, however, illustrated the marriage a lot better/clearer. I also want to thank you for that tip on 'battery usage preference' betwixt the two. I had previously thought that - if the body-housed battery fell to exhaustion - the "grip's" battery would automatically take the helm. But it appears (if I have gathered correctly, from your post) that this type of action would only be carried out in a reverse scenario (i.e, the battery of the body automatically taking over from a depleted grip-installed battery). No matter, though. I really want that grip.
12-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #6

Isn't the D-BG-1 for the *ist D?

QuoteOriginally posted by drewizer Quote
If anybody has the battery grip please let me know what you think of it.
I read it has AV/TV dail controls on it. was wondering if it's like the K10D
where the A/v dail is at the index finger and the T/v dail is at the thumb.
If anybody could supply some pictures with it on the camera that would be cool.
Oh if you have one you wanna get rid of at a good price PM me. lol
Your question was regarding the D-BG-1, which I think is for the *ist D. The battery grip for the K10D is the D-BG-2. Normally, I wouldn't know model #'s, etc. but I just ordered the grip for my K10D and I almost pulled the trigger on the D-BG-1, which would have been a bit annoying...

Just wanted to make sure nobody makes the same mistake I almost made.
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Jon,

I never got to hold a K10 w/the grip, but I had seen a photo of the pairing, before. Your photo, however, illustrated the marriage a lot better/clearer. I also want to thank you for that tip on 'battery usage preference' betwixt the two. I had previously thought that - if the body-housed battery fell to exhaustion - the "grip's" battery would automatically take the helm. But it appears (if I have gathered correctly, from your post) that this type of action would only be carried out in a reverse scenario (i.e, the battery of the body automatically taking over from a depleted grip-installed battery). No matter, though. I really want that grip.

you can set which battery to use first which ever way you want. set it to auto, body first, grip first...

it already came to a point a few times where one or the other battery depleted, and i just used up the 2nd battery....(back then i had it set to auto..)

and Jun is right..sorry i missed it..the grip model number for the k10d is D-BG2

12-31-2006, 11:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
No my question is for the BG-1. I have a *ist DL and do not have the front E-dial.
really my main concern was weather I would be picking up and extra e-dail on the front. I'll be getting it anyway because I shoot vertical most of the time.

I'll sometime this year upgrade K10D I played with it at a local pro-shop and
I would have to say the weight increse is nice. (I use to shoot nikon so I'm use to
it) and the shutter reacts alot like my MZ which I dropped my F5 in favor for.
got sick of nikons propitary BS.

I picked up the *ist really cheap only $350 not knowing the K10d was out. I didn't even know it exsisted. all I knew is that the *ist had the same CCD as
my D1 and it was entry lvl so it would have and easier interface compared to the
D1. I lost alot of shots on the D100 due to interface errors and it lossing focus in low
light. I was told the *ist didn't work well I low light but I have found this to be flase.

Thank you for the help you have given me. it's much apperciated

Last edited by drewizer; 12-31-2006 at 11:17 PM. Reason: needed to thank the members for there help
01-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DBG-2 will only work with the K10d, it will not fit on the DL...

The DBG-1 only fits on the original D...
01-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K100\110 gets the snub.