Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust spots on sensor?

I've had my new K10 for over a week, and thought everything was okay. However, taking a closer look at a sky shot in photoshop elements I noticed two spots. Comparing this to other similar photos, and different ones where there was an even tone through those two areas, the same two spots appeared. Used the camera sensor shaker, no dice. I then blew off the sensor carefully with a little canned air, and reshot the wall. The two spots were still there, one in the upper left and one in the lower right sections of the photo. I cannot see anything physically on the sensor with the naked eye but perhaps if there is dust there it's too small to see that way. Maybe this requires a wet dust removal solution. I can't imagine these would be bad pixel areas because in my mind they would be black, not appearing as they do in the photo. If there's any problem other than dust please give you input as I'm thinking this camera is so new I would try to exchange it if it were anything other than a dust issue. The time's ticking for me sending in the rebate info...gotta have the rebate .
Thanks!
-Matt

Attached Images

Last edited by Rottie*Lover; 01-24-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added more helpful text.
01-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE CANNED/COMPRESSED AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that out of the way, I found the dust shaker more or less useless for removing a dust spot on my sensor. I use a Giottos Rocket Blower, which blows clean/dry air. It took a couple of good "puffs" but it got the spot out. There are other more "thorough" ways to clean the sensor, but give the rocket blower a chance. They can be found at your local camera shop or at places like B&H/Adorama for under $20.
01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Egordon99 is totally correct. NEVER use compressed air. You can damage the sensor by driving dirt in at high speed and also the air is never totally dry.

I use the same blower and when a dust spot is really bad I have a clean lens brush (always kept in a ziplock bag and I never touch the bristles) I use to loosen the dust and then the blower will remove the specks. A wet solution is available but I have never needed it in over a year of regular use.
01-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your opinions....

I used the compressed air indirectly around the sensor, not on it. I remembered reading somewhere that DSLR sensors are covered by a UV glass filter and didn't think I could be causing potential damage.
That being said, I will put a Rocket blower and lens brush on my immediate shopping list (today). Retouching every photo for specks is not my idea of a good time!
One other question: Will I cause damage to the sensor if I shine a light on it to help me see where I need to remove the dust specks? I'm assuming the sensor is live during this process because the camera has to be on to do the mirror lockup.

Thanks again for your timely responses. I've been an observer on this board for about a month before I picked up this fine camera, and I continue to benefit from the combined knowledge from all of you.

-Matt

01-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's a good question. I don't really know but you'd be better off using a loupe or magnifying glass to see things better. I wouldn't use a light that is too bright I guess. But just keep the Compressed air away from the camera!
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

When blowing it out, did you actually go into the menu and set for the sensor cleaning mode (pg 212 in the manual)? That locks the mirror up and actually reveals the sensor behind it. If not, you were just blowing on the mirror.
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I got dust with my previous camera, *ist DS. I bought a can on Dust-Aid and it solved the problem on 3 occasions. It is very easy to use and seem to be an excellent alternative to wet cleaning or the dangerous air can. I haven't use it on K10D as i have not gotten dust on the sensor (knock on wood)
Lession learned: do NOT change lens in the field especially windy condition! Windy condition is very dangerous and dust easily get in the sensor. Maybe this reason alone i should get a ultra zoom (oops, LBA attack again!)
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Thanks for your opinions....

... I remembered reading somewhere that DSLR sensors are covered by a UV glass filter and didn't think I could be causing potential damage...
-Matt
You are actually cleaning an Infrared filter mounted over the sensor. It does not matter, if you scratch it you can't replace it any much easier than the sensor itself.

I use my Giotto for cleanings, but there are some spots that won't go away. They don't bother me enough to resort to swabbing with liquid cleaners. The spots are mainly noticeable in the sky and easily fixable in PSP or other software.

01-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #9

How To Clean The Sensor

Hi guys...I have the same problem on my new K100D Super...I just received a cleaning kit from Giotto today. It has a rocket air puffer in it. However, there are no instructions on how to clean the camera sensor. Can you experts offer a step-by-step so I don"t ruin my new DSLR?

thanks,

Tim
01-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I recommend THIS.
But I never did it. Blower was enaugh for now.
01-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by tgrimes Quote
Hi guys...I have the same problem on my new K100D Super...I just received a cleaning kit from Giotto today. It has a rocket air puffer in it. However, there are no instructions on how to clean the camera sensor. Can you experts offer a step-by-step so I don"t ruin my new DSLR?

thanks,

Tim

I don't know if there's an Official way to clean a sensor but here's basically what I do. I will lock up the mirror and put the blower inside near one corner of the sensor (not touching it but close). Then blow the dust off, with the blower tip on one side, it should blow it out and not just around inside the cage. Now I'll take another test shot to see how clean it is. Shooting blue sky is good for this.

If there is still persistent dust inside, I have a lens cleaning brush with soft, fine bristles that is used for nothing else. I swab the sensor a couple of times and repeat the blower bulb process from one side of the sensor and then repeat again from the other side.

This has always worked well and I've never had to use a wet method yet to clean a sensor with around a total of 15,000 shots taken and constant lens changes.
01-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just remove the lens and go into the menu to Sensor Cleaning and activate it. This locks up (raises) the mirror so the sensor is exposed. I have the front of the camera (lens opening) pointing down. I place the tip of the Rocketblower just at the entrance to the camera (not in it) and blast away a few times. Then I turn the camera off (lowers the mirror) and quickly replace the lens.

One tip - make sure the rear element (glass) of your lens is also dust free or you're just putting dust back inside the camera.

I bought a swab kit for my K100D, but in the 18 months that I've had the camera, I never had to use it. The Rocketblower worked everytime.
01-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Forum Member

Cleaning is easy and fast!

I had the same issue after the first time I changed my kit lens for an old lens my uncle gave me. I think my mistake was that I did not clean the old lens and it probably had dust, and after some camera use, some dust got stuck to the sensor. I bought the rocket blower, pec pads, and eclipse solution at Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home, all for $32 shipped. After putting the camera in cleaning mode, I tried first with the blower but no luck. Then, I made my own sensor wand following the instructions of the website below, wrapped a pec pad on it, and put a couple of drops of eclipse on it. Then I carefully swabbed the sensor.

It was really easy and fast! My sensor is now super clean. If you follow the instructions on that website you will succeed!

Also there is the official cleaning kit from Pentax that you can get on eBay for like $50 (search for "O-ICK1").

Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

Last edited by chrisca70; 01-27-2008 at 02:02 PM.