Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your honest opinion Rice,

If you have a chance to use a K20D is there any way that you can do a head to head comparison between it and your Canon 5D.

If at all possible under controled conditions, with the same brand and model lenses and flashes.

Of course the same ISO and all that sort of thing.

I for one would be very nterested in the results.

01-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just did some test shots with my K10D at ISO 1600, and frankly, they look fine to me, sure there is a little noise, but certainly not anything to get all worked up about.

1/60, F4, ISO 1600 with the kit lens @31MM

01-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am a life long Denver Broncos fan. I only say that because I hate it when Phil Simms is doing color during the broadcasts. The only time that the Broncos do anything right is because the other team screwed up. When he does make an honest compliment, you know it just killed him to say it.

That being said, for RH to say that the high ISO performance is "surprisingly good" must mean that it is truly exceptional. The guy that can't find anything positive to say about anything that wears a Pentax badge has been forced to admit that those samples that he referred to were nothing short of amazing for 3200 ISO. My K100D couldn't do 3200 that well on its best day.

I'll take that as a sign that the new sensor is really something special. Thanks, RH.
01-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Popular Photography: Gallery

But provided that the AE, AF and/or the WB will not be off! :-D (but with those ancient Pentax infamous AE and AF systems plus low IQ WB algorithms, there is no guarantee indeed. Note the WB Post Processing remarks made by the PopPhoto testers already?)
Stick around and mark my words well, Rice, this new Pentax/Samsung sensor is going to blow the competition out of the water. Even you will be forced to grant it respect.

01-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the opinion's RH!

Guys, don't jump on his back, he was trying to state something he thinks the camera does well and something he thinks the camera doesn't do well.

With all the bitching going on lately on this forum, you'd think you'd listen to what he has to say.

Rice, as far as you saying white balance or focus will be off, these have never been concerns of mine. I get surprisingly crisp images with my K110D and kit lens. I get crisp enough images to make my friend switch from Nikon because he saw Nikon outperformed at a lower price. He of course got the K10D and the 50mm f/1.4, but even so.

I will say that focus can be off in the dark, but if I use focus assist it can usually find it, or I just go manual anyway.

White balance isn't an issue as I make sure I have it set right (Hardly ever use AWB) before taking the shot. And even if it's not, well, I shoot raw, so I can tweak any little bit I want in PS.

If I had to pick between things that I don't like about my camera, I'd rather have great IQ and great ISO performance and poor low-light focusing and AWB I have to change.
01-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I just did some test shots with my K10D at ISO 1600, and frankly, they look fine to me
Stratman: do it in a bit more dim light....ISO1600 is fine in enough light, but will get grainy in lower light. E.g., I shoot ISO1250 sports in daytime so I can get enough shutter speed (1/1500 or 1/2000) and the photos look close enough to ISO100.
It's not enough to say here's a high iso pic...I've seen some posts on iso3200 in Canon forums that tested w/ bright enough lighting and it looks great of course ;-)
I'd love to see some K20D shots (Ben, if you're listening? :-) in something dark like a nightclub so we can look for grain/vpn, etc...
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Frankly to tell, but although I will be bashed, my Canon 5D has more reliable and intelligent AWB for many of the times, despite that it is not perfect anyway.
ummm, I find this odd.

when I got the *ist ds, I thought ooh I've got set white balance, I did a few times and then thought hang on I've got enough to worry about, let the camera do it until I get better. Since then I've had the ds, k100d and k10d, number of pics would be in the 60000-70000 range. Inside, outside, flash, nio flash etc etc, The camera still dones a damn fine job of awb. Very very occasionally it is way off and every now again I tweak slightly in raw, although this more often because I want it to warmer of cooler than it actually was (ie the camera awb didn't know I wanted it to be different from the reality). I actually had the first full shoot where any of the cameras got it wrong consistently for the whole day, and that was a very weird weather, overcast, drizzle, hazy on the beach (seriously the weather was weird), anyway after all this time, that is first time I've had white balance problems.

Late last year, I contemplated changing to nikon or canon (for long glass, macro flash, flash system etc) anyway I looked at d300 and 5d. One the big complaints I kept finding about the 5d was that the awb was dodgy, get told great iq, poor ergonomics, unfriendly controls / menus and dodgy awb. Now I never got to try one, but the awb complaint was very common.

Phil

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, I just wasted 10 mintues of my life responding to ricehigh, Damn! I should have just told my computer monitro and been done. damn