Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Surprisingly, the high ISO IQ of the K20D seems to be quite good!

Popular Photography: Gallery

But provided that the AE, AF and/or the WB will not be off! :-D (but with those ancient Pentax infamous AE and AF systems plus low IQ WB algorithms, there is no guarantee indeed. Note the WB Post Processing remarks made by the PopPhoto testers already?)

01-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
not surprising with CMOS. Canon and Nikon have already proven that you can get better high ISO performance from CMOS so I expected at least on par...

As for WB, get a WhiBal card if you want your photos to look better. Even my Nikon D80/D200 friends complain about their white balance being off a lot of times...one of them uses a grey card now and the other rolls his eyes when I try explaining how the WhiBal will make it look better :-)
01-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
not surprising with CMOS. Canon and Nikon have already proven that you can get better high ISO performance from CMOS so I expected at least on par...

As for WB, get a WhiBal card if you want your photos to look better. Even my Nikon D80/D200 friends complain about their white balance being off a lot of times...one of them uses a grey card now and the other rolls his eyes when I try explaining how the WhiBal will make it look better :-)
Frankly to tell, but although I will be bashed, my Canon 5D has more reliable and intelligent AWB for many of the times, despite that it is not perfect anyway.
01-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are the PopPhoto testers actually photographers? A few things from those images.

They kept mentioning they needed to 'warm up the scene' - what mode were they in? Why didn't they do a white balance BEFORE pressing the shutter? Like wondering why your car ran a stop light when you didn't press on the brakes until after you went through it. Duh!

Though, the ISO 1600 and 3200 samples are amazing! I'm one of the few possibly that had no issues with the K10D at ISO-1600 so seeing these samples really impresses me.

01-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Frankly to tell, but although I will be bashed, my Canon 5D has more reliable and intelligent AWB for many of the times, despite that it is not perfect anyway.
For a camera with a street price of $2100, I'd expect a true AWB feature.
01-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
They kept mentioning they needed to 'warm up the scene' - what mode were they in? Why didn't they do a white balance BEFORE pressing the shutter? Like wondering why your car ran a stop light when you didn't press on the brakes until after you went through it. Duh!
Yeah, that struck me as a bit odd too. Seems like they could have just noted once "The AWB was a bit cool in this lighting, so we used the Shade preset."

Or, assuming it still has the options the K10D has, turn on the ability to fine-tune AWB and just make that warmer.
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

despite that it is not perfect anyway.
Exactly...get a WhiBal. You'll thank me for it later when your photos look the way you expect at a big event

01-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Why don't admins ban you?
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The high ISO noise looks good, for the first high resolution sensor on the market! Remember this sensor is pushing the limits of current technology and went a step ahead. The ISO 1600 looks great compared to the K10D ISO1600, but it's 50% more pixels so there should be a lot more noise right? It ain't that it's just CMOS.

RH, remember all the images you see from DPR, Popphoto, etc. are all beta firmwares and will improve. So if you're happy now then it'll hopefully improve once again as the firmware becomes finalized.
01-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #10

I really, really dislike RiceHigh.

Seeing his posts on the forum make me instantly have bad feelings. I try not to read them and know that he is distorting the facts and just trying to troll the forum but it still bothers me that someone would have the audacity to come here in order to just provoke a reaction and drive traffic to his slanderous blog.
01-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

btw, guess what this was taken with? The friend forgot his whibal and AWB got confused by the lighting so that's why there's an orange cast...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 40D  Photo 
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It was taken with a 40D. I cheated and looked at the exif. I have been waiting for RH's thread. Where have you been, it took you over 24 hours to finally find something bad to say? Too bad there is so much good, that your few bad points don't really matter.
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Popular Photography: Gallery

But provided that the AE, AF and/or the WB will not be off! :-D (but with those ancient Pentax infamous AE and AF systems plus low IQ WB algorithms, there is no guarantee indeed. Note the WB Post Processing remarks made by the PopPhoto testers already?)

Hey RH..My photos just came out in "West East" magazine that comes out of Hong Kong. Thought I would mention it to you as you are from Hong Kong. It is the "DREAMS" issue.

Ben
01-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

01-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry, Javier. I have to.

Seriously, of all the things in the world to complain about. White balance? It's called (say it with me now)...RAW. Just set white balance in PP. It will be more accurate that way, and you won't have lost a damn thing.