Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davallree Quote
I will be buying a new camera within the coming weeks. I'm 17 and about to go abroad.
If you are serious about photography, go for the K-30 (or K-5).

K-01: No optical viewfinder means that you'll have difficulty to properly compose in bright sunlight and that you cannot stabilise the camera by pressing it to your head. Compromises have been made regarding ergonomics (e.g., button placement, grip) to make the camera look good (correction: "what the designer thought looks good").

K-30: Two dials plus traditionally excellent Pentax ergonomics mean that you can set your shot parameters quickly and without ever interrupting your composition. Other posters have mentioned further advantages, such as weather-sealing and quicker AF.

Both cameras will be able to get you the same image quality in some situations. But in certain situations, the K-30 will offer the superiour handling and thus give you images the K-01 cannot provide.

The K-5 is already discontinued and is currently being sold for a very good price. It has some advantages over the K-30 (e.g., top LCD, magnesium alloy body), but also some disadvantages (less video options, AF front-focuses in low light, no focus peaking). You'll find "K-30 vs K-5" comparison threads on this forum, if you can imagine to consider the K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
With K-30 you can also record audio with an external device.
That is not true. The K-5 has an external mic input, but the K-30 does not.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Still needs to be proven if I'm not mistaken
True, but the first AF tests in low light for the K-30 are very encouraging, though.

07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In your situation I'd recommend K-30, I have K-01 myself but that's because I have K-5 which shares battery with K-01, and a collection of K-mount lens to go with it. K-01 being my casual snap/ manual focus lens(because of Focus Peaking)/smaller lighter street(with my small primes)/backup body, the AF system is no match for DSLR in some situation. Put it this way I am not giving up my K-5 for K-01.

With K-30 + DA 18-135WR(even DA18-55WR) + any manual focus fast 50, you will be happy for about any situation I can think of as a newbie in photography, the package will be comparatively small and light, covers the most used focal length, affordable ,weather sealed, able to use AA battery with adaptor, trying portrait and handle low light situation with fast 50 and Focus Peaking, decent video capacity as well.

But if you just want casual snap, K-01+DA40 XS(maybe DAL 18-55 kit lens)may be all you ever need, it's got face detection AF in good light and Focus Peaking in poor light, and you really get full DSLR level image quality with this combo in a smaller package. Word of warning though, if you find yourself really into photography and want to go into some advance part of photography you may find K-01's ability limited, but hey, the initial 6-8months I have my K-x I mostly use it in Auto mode :P

My 2cents

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 07-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.
07-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
...The K-5...also some disadvantages (... AF front-focuses in low light...)
Is that a bonafide problem?
07-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That is not true. The K-5 has an external mic input, but the K-30 does not.
I was refurring to an audiorecorder:

07-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Is that a bonafide problem?
Falk Lumo: LumoLabs: Pentax K-5 low light focus with firmware upgrade 1.03
07-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I applaud the efforts to suss out the issue. However, given the facts that there are specific conditions that present the issue, and that sample size was small, and that some people don't seem to be affected, it might be difficult to draw the conclusion that it should be considered a flaw in all K-5 units.

From the white paper referred to above:

"Basically, I find no significant difference between firmware versions 1.02 and 1.03 when using my testing scenarios. This means that there is no significant improvement if:

The background is white
The target has high contrast
The AF assist light is disabled

It is reported that all K-5 exhibit the same behavior (but this paper studied a single unit only) and Pentax released firmware version 1.03 to reduce the problem. The effect is real and negatively impacts the daily work of many photographers. The reactions to the v1.03 update in the internet have been mixed. Some report a significant improvement while others report no change. This report suggests that the improvement is limited to some situations only. Therefore, it is quite possible to run into a low light tungsten situation without the problem."
07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
However, given the facts that there are specific conditions that present the issue, and that sample size was small, and that some people don't seem to be affected, it might be difficult to draw the conclusion that it should be considered a flaw in all K-5 units.
Given the nature of the problem and the frequency with which it was reported, I believe it might be difficult to defend the notion that the issue was specific to some samples. Note how the part of the white paper you have quoted explains why some users may never have noticed a problem (even though their cameras are affected as well).

Is it possible to exclude the scenario that some K-5 copies did not suffer from a systematic problem? No, but it is a highly unlikely scenario, AFAIC.

Anyhow, all this will soon be just water under the bridge as the K-5 is already discontinued.

Last edited by Class A; 07-05-2012 at 01:48 AM.
09-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #23
Forum Member

So, what did you buy?
I had a K200D when the K-01 came out and should have kept it.
Instead I bought a K-r and sold the K200D. I thought the K-r would do most of what a K-01 and K200D could do, but I was wrong.
I have now bought a K-01 primarily for my legacy lenses and video and will keep the K-r for outdoors daylight use.
The alternative was to buy a K-30 and sell the K-r, which would have left me with a significantly heavier SLR with less LCD/focus peaking functionality and no external mic input (IMHO dumbest exclusion).
If I had no DSLR and mostly AF lenses I'd probably buy a K-30, but in my situation adding a K-01 to existing DSLR is wiser.

05-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
Forum Member

You've probably already bought, but for me it's a no-brainer - K-30 is the best Pentax for a decade, Does everything a K-01 does plus so much more. It weighs a lot more, but that's because it's a DSLR. If you are also interested in shooting video, then spend the extra $120 that I just did and buy a Zoom H1 digital recorder and hotshoe mount. The inbuilt audio of both cameras is adequate, but with the H1 you get better-than-CD quality with headphone monitoring that is easily substituted using cheap or free video programs like Premiere Elements and Windows Essentials.