Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Pentax K-30 or the K-01

I will be buying a new camera within the coming weeks. I'm 17 and about to go abroad. I love the video capability of the K-01, but I may be going to Art School, and the K-30 has a more classic look. It may be a war between looks here, but I just can't decide.

07-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Bit more to it than looks - ergonomics!

K-01 - composing etc via the rear LCD.

K-30 - composing etc via the eyepiece OR rear LCD.

Which you prefer may well be an age/experience thing. Personally I will not touch a camera that does not have an eye-piece. I presume you've tried them both?
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K30 , no contest.
Just the Weather Proofing alone is worth it and most likely the Video will be as good or better.
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

k-30 for sure, video should be just as good and you get a full DSLR with ergonomics, weather sealing and full capabilities (basically a new version of the K-5...with the same viewfinder, this is huge at the price point!)

07-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think you have to descide how important video is for you? With K-30 you can also record audio with an external device. For only having one camera then between these two I would choose K-30.
07-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I know MY choice, K-30 hands down.

On an optical single lens reflex camera, video will always use the LCD because the mirror will block the viewfinder during your capture. So if video is your most important thing, look for factors other than the lack of an optical viewfinder in your decision making.

However, unless your still photography will be confined to indoor or other lower lighting environments, you will want that viewfinder - and the faster the action happens, the more you will want it. Bright ambient lighting causes your pupils to close. And I don't care how bright the marketing types proclaim their LCD to be in sunlight, if your pupils are small, it will be hard to make out detail on the LCD.

Also, in lower lighting environments, you will have a slower shutter speed. If you will be shooting handheld, it is a simple fact of gravity and physics that you can hold a camera steadier with it supported against your face, than you can at arms' length.
07-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Without considering the Q (which I think is almost incomparable to anything on the market) the K-01 is Pentax's initial entry into mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The K-30 is an evolution of their dSLR product line. Pentax has yet to introduce electronic viewfinders and/or articulating rear LCD screens. Until (or unless) they do, their K-01 based product line is much less useful than their dSLR products IMHO. All that said, if you have the money you can supe up a K-01 with accessories like an EVF and external mike. It will turn into a whole different beast, but likely be much more useful.

P.S. Given the price of K-5's right now, if I were in your shoes (or anyone's for that matter) I would seriously consider the K-5. Also, depending on your schedule, you might not even be able to get a K-30 as soon as you need it.

Last edited by lammie200; 07-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another user here that thinks he can't live without a OVF/EVF. So for all the reasons given above, K30.

07-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

OP, have you ever used a DSLR before?

I can still remember when I made the jump to DSLR from point and shoot. If I was making that jump today, I might choose the K-01 because it delivers the detail and quality of APS-c with a very low price tag.

However, I got my K100D instead, and now I'm OVF-dependent. I'm glad I did though. If you're serious about getting into photography, get the DSLR.
07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I now use my K-01 for most situations, but I mostly use manual focus 80's lenses <200mm. I don't hold it at amrs length (I have to say this in every post) but rahter as an SLR, cradled in the left hand, arms at my sides, near my face (wehy is it so difficult to get this message out?).

Video is a new feature that I'm just learning.

As I shoot now a deep grip and OVF would actually be a hindrance much of the time, but I still use a K10D in bright sulight at low ISO and with long lenses or with an external flash.

But I'm in a very small group of non-traditional users. Odds are you'd be best served by a K-5 at current prices, not a K30.
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K5 is a great buy right now, but the K30 seems to combine much of what's good about the K5 and the K-01 - i.e. the features you'd expect on a mirrorless camera (focus peaking, better live view and video) and the features you'd expect on a pretty high-end DSLR (100% 0.92x optical viewfinder, a nice grip, weather-sealing).
07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The K5 is a great buy right now, but the K30 seems to combine much of what's good about the K5 and the K-01 - i.e. the features you'd expect on a mirrorless camera (focus peaking, better live view and video) and the features you'd expect on a pretty high-end DSLR (100% 0.92x optical viewfinder, a nice grip, weather-sealing).
Not to mention - an expectation of corrected AF in the k-30 compared to the k-5. That's the biggest deal for me.
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K-30 unless your a vid freak.

I don't care about vid. I got a K-01 and will get some k-30's too down the road.

but if I could have only one it would be a K-30
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
an expectation of corrected AF in the k-30 compared to the k-5
Still needs to be proven if I'm not mistaken
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davallree Quote
I will be buying a new camera within the coming weeks. I'm 17 and about to go abroad. I love the video capability of the K-01, but I may be going to Art School, and the K-30 has a more classic look. It may be a war between looks here, but I just can't decide.
K30 - DSLR style handling and OVF. Faster AF.

K-01 - Cheaper; PnS style handling (not a bad thing, just another way of using a camera); Faster shutter response time in LV (so in a way better for MF lenses if you do MF on moving objects). Personally, while its a good camera in many ways, esp. for a Pentax user with a few lenses, I think the K-01 is still a Ver1 system that is a bit more 'rough on the edges' compared Pentax's DSLR line.
Note the slower AF on some lenses too.