Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Tiny Crack on K10D Progression

Hi Gang:

Well, I checked the tiny crack on one of my K10D bodies today and discovered that a piece has now fallen out. It is at the edge of the baseplate and looks exactly like photos I've seen of this. Guess it's time to send the camera off to Pentax.

However, I have two questions.

One, have any other members experienced this and has the broken chip caused any problems with the camera's operation or weather sealing?

Two, anybody try to fix this themselves? I've heard of some users using some sort of silicone sealant. Or perhaps something else. Anyone?

Richard

01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been hanging around here for quite awhile and never heard of this issue. Care to post a pic of the crack? I'd have to assume if a part of the body is open, then the weather sealing is gone and you risk getting dirt and humidity inside the camera. I think I'd get a quote on the repair costs before sending it off. A DIY repair might be much more cost effective if you can do it.
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I've been hanging around here for quite awhile and never heard of this issue.
There was a big discussion over a DPR about it a while ago. Some of the cracks are so small you need a magnifying glass and some really good light.
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
There was a big discussion over a DPR about it a while ago. Some of the cracks are so small you need a magnifying glass and some really good light.
That's the way it began on my camera - a tiny crack hardly visible. Now it's a small piece broken off the edge of the baseplate. Here's a picture of it:

This is a well-known issue, at least on some other forums. The fix as I understand it is for Pentax to replace the baseplate. The camera is still under warranty so that should cover the repair.

I want to mention that this was not caused by any damage done by me to the camera. It's a defect in the body.

Richard

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C5050Z  Photo 
01-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Well I stand corrected (that happens a lot). If it's under warranty then of course send it in and get this rectified. Now, I think I'll go have a close look at my camera. Thanks for the pic.
01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Obviously that corner is under too much tension and crack the plastic bottom off. But replacing the bottom is no rocket science and you might ask Pentax for a new bottom plate instead of sending the camera in. Sure enough it will crack again and you might just keep the new bottom as spare and duct tape the corner and keep shooting.
01-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Obviously that corner is under too much tension and crack the plastic bottom off. But replacing the bottom is no rocket science and you might ask Pentax for a new bottom plate instead of sending the camera in. Sure enough it will crack again and you might just keep the new bottom as spare and duct tape the corner and keep shooting.
It's going to Pentax but I suspect that it will crack again. That, plus back-focus problems with my 21mm makes me very discouraged. This was my first investment in Pentax but I'm seriously thinking of selling it all and moving on. Very disappointing.

Richard