Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #1

Nikon vs pentax

Hi all. A while back i picked up a slightly used Nikon D3000 body.I then added a Nikon 55-200mm zoom lens that i paid $25 for. Had to put a new ebay mount on it. Got it working! I go about my business snapping some photos over the next few days.I have come to a conclusion.....Factoring in that this is a 3 year old camera there is no comparison to my KR. The lens is sloppy when you touch it( same thing with my old anon XTI) the menus seem counter intuitive,only 3 FPS etc.The image quality is not even as good as my XTI was. I got this as a cheap backup body but i am selling it this morning.I realize this is a 3 year old camera but i do not like it at all.The lens even turns the wrong way to mount it.My advice for anyone thinking of jumping ship is that the grass defiantly ain't greener on the other side of the fence.Sorry,had to get that off my chest.

07-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nikon would be my choise if i jump ship though, at least their higher end bodies are good in my hands, the canon ergonomics and they way they work is more confusing for me
07-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

You cannot dismiss Nikon on an old bottom of the range camera. Who says Pentax mounting way is correct? Like Anvh, IF I were to jump ship, it will be to Nikon. I have no intention to change!
07-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well de way pentax mount is better i think though, it comes more naturally.

07-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
righty tighty, lefty loosey. people are used to twisting things counter-clockwise to remove them, so the nikon lens mount will be counter-intuitive to most people. the release button is in a less convenient spot as well.
07-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I think I saw your ad on the Nashville Craigslist! I hope you get it sold.
07-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
righty tighty, lefty loosey. people are used to twisting things counter-clockwise to remove them, so the nikon lens mount will be counter-intuitive to most people. the release button is in a less convenient spot as well.
Very counter-intuitive, someone gave me an old Nikon film body and a couple lenses, body was junk, lenses weren't anything special but I wanted to modify them for my K100D anyway. At first I thought the release was broken since the body was in such rough shape, grabbed my feeler gauges and poked around and it was definitely releasing, then I realized they did it bass-ackwards.

07-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd jump ship if I could afford a D800 and a 24-70.
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I'd jump ship if I could afford a D800 and a 24-70.
So not really a "proud owner" of the K10D and K5 then?
07-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am a proud owner, my kit is great bang for my buck, but let's not kid ourselves. If you are after ultimate IQ, Pentax can't top certain Canikon combos (for identical photog skills across all kits)
07-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You forget the 645D
I would chose that one over any of the canon or nikon cameras.
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

To get similar IQ as a D800+24G/85G combo, you'd need to spend about 2.5-3 times the same amount of money with a 645D.

It's not exactly good bang for your buck, which is Pentax's strong point in the APS-C market.
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Zorak: The D3000 is perfectly good. You've got to give it a fair shake. The lens you bought for $25 and you had to put a new mount on it. The lens was certainly flawed then. Try a different lens. Not being happy with 3fps is a personal thing. For some of us that is fine. As for the menu system, you'd think differently about it if you compared it to Olympus'.

FrancisK7: "...let's not kid ourselves. If you are after ultimate IQ, Pentax can't top certain Canikon combos (for identical photog skills across all kits)." Based on what evidence? For every great Canikon photo you could post as proof, I could find another ten Pentax (or Sony or Olympus) shots on Flickr that are just as nice or better.
07-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes voice. I did sell it to a gentleman who will be perfectly happy with it i hope. I still stand by my assessment though. I feel that the KR is a better camera ,even the kit lens feels like its higher quality.The Nikon zoom i had was not any more sloppy than a previous canon lens i had.Very flimsy construction. I know i am talking about cheap lenses here but, if the image shifts when you touch the lens barrel to focus then it just isn't usable for me as i tend to manual focus for critical shots.At least the Pentax has a rubber grip on the focus ring which makes MF easier IMHO.I feel that the canon i had focused faster and better than my Pentax,the Nikon was just not any faster than my KR which isn't that great as a lens with an internal focus motor being outran by a screwdrive focus? as far as the mount is concerned even though my kit lens has a plastic mount as well,the Nikon mount was quite cheaply made and wouldn't stand up to a whole lot of abuse.I am merely an Amateur photographer but i expect even cheap gear to be up to a certain standard,which is one of the reasons i went with Pentax in the first place. Nothing like using some old film glass i had laying around.To bad my dad wasn't a Pentax guy. After he passed i acquired his Minolta MD mount gear.Guess i am going to be shopping for some adapters so i can put them to use. So much easier to do with a Pentax.
07-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I could post my own commercial work as evidence, but most of it is under NDA. Unfortunately I do not have a D800 or 5DMIII for my personal studio shoots. All I can say from my own personal experience, for the same studio high-fashion model shot, a D800+24G will be sharper than a K5+FA77 with optimal settings on both cameras. I've looked at two side by side on a calibrated U3011 monitor (I have three) and it's there.

And let us not forget the shitty AF on all Pentax cameras. During my dance show assignment the K5 struggled so much with the AF in low light it was a nightmare.

Pentax has no gear that can match a 5DMkIII+85L or D800+24G/85G in IQ. It comes close, but then you factor in the FF advantage, AF and sync speed and there's no comparison. I'm 6'1" and work out five days a week, I can handle the extra bulk.