Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Please help me make a choice.

The K-30 with the DA 18-135WR lens just become available on Amazon for only $1,199.95 + tax. The price is so tempting.
Should I paid more (about $300 more) to get the K5 plus the same lens or should I get this K-30 deal?
What do you guys think?

07-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be a long shot but I'd check with Adorama. They have this listed at Amazon on the $924 K-5 body only:
Adorama Camera Rebates:
$100.00 Mfr Rebate
(Offer details included in Adorama Camera shipment)
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Misbehave, to be honest I don't know what you need so I can't really say what camera is better for you. However the K-5 and K-30 both have their disadvantages and advantages towards each other. You can not be unhappy either way, both are excellent cameras.The K-5 has magnesium alloy body while the K-30 uses polycorbonate plastic. The K-30 has a improved and new AF over the K-5 so the K-30 should autofocus better and lock focus better especially in low light. The K-5 has top LCD which I doubt most people use often, while the K-30 doesn't. The K-30 has better video recording capabilities including shooting 1080p in 24 fps which 24 frames is the standard for movie recording today. The K-5 has more buttons than the K-30 which allows faster accessing settings. But both have twin dials, which is unusual and a good thing for the K-30 because it allows you to do rapid changes within your aperture, iso, and shutter speed settings. Not unusual for the K-5 as it is a semi-professional body which is standard for today.

Bassically the K-30 is better internally while the K-5 is better externally. At least if you see it that way, some may disagree. The K-30 is better internally because of better processing chip, the Prime M, and the same Sony Exmor sensor used in the K-5. I would expect the K-30 to have firmware updates over time that improve the sensors ability to process images, just because the Prime M is more powerful than the K-5's Prime II and with both having virtually the same image quality right now, the K-30 should be better with it's new Prime M, overtime if Pentax can do this, they will release firmware updates. The K-5 on the other hand is like the K-30 except better ergonomics such as magnesium alloy body, top LCD, and more buttons. If this is your first DSLR or is moving up from an entry-level, then the K-30 will probably be your best choice as it is essentially a entry-level camera but with semi-professional ergonomics putting it somewhere between entry and semi-pro. Plus with the newer K-30, comes easier focusing with newer technology.

Think of it like this, adding 300 dollars will get you better ergonomics. But do you really need all that? You will get excellent pictures whichever DSLR you choose.
07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For $300 difference, I would go for the K-30.

With regards to ergonomics / handling, I have the K5, K10D and K100D and in my opinion the K5 has indeed the best handling and I don't have a problem with the handling / ergonomics of any of the three. I have not handled a K-30, so can't really judge; but if handling of the K-30 is anywhere between that of the K100D and the K5, it will not be an issue for me.

Note:
$300 will buy you a very good flash or a very nice tripod or can go towards another lens or a bag; depends on what you already have and/or need.

07-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Misbehave, to be honest I don't know what you need so I can't really say what camera is better for you. However the K-5 and K-30 both have their disadvantages and advantages towards each other. You can not be unhappy either way, both are excellent cameras.The K-5 has magnesium alloy body while the K-30 uses polycorbonate plastic. The K-30 has a improved and new AF over the K-5 so the K-30 should autofocus better and lock focus better especially in low light. The K-5 has top LCD which I doubt most people use often, while the K-30 doesn't. The K-30 has better video recording capabilities including shooting 1080p in 24 fps which 24 frames is the standard for movie recording today. The K-5 has more buttons than the K-30 which allows faster accessing settings. But both have twin dials, which is unusual and a good thing for the K-30 because it allows you to do rapid changes within your aperture, iso, and shutter speed settings. Not unusual for the K-5 as it is a semi-professional body which is standard for today.

Bassically the K-30 is better internally while the K-5 is better externally. At least if you see it that way, some may disagree. The K-30 is better internally because of better processing chip, the Prime M, and the same Sony Exmor sensor used in the K-5. I would expect the K-30 to have firmware updates over time that improve the sensors ability to process images, just because the Prime M is more powerful than the K-5's Prime II and with both having virtually the same image quality right now, the K-30 should be better with it's new Prime M, overtime if Pentax can do this, they will release firmware updates. The K-5 on the other hand is like the K-30 except better ergonomics such as magnesium alloy body, top LCD, and more buttons. If this is your first DSLR or is moving up from an entry-level, then the K-30 will probably be your best choice as it is essentially a entry-level camera but with semi-professional ergonomics putting it somewhere between entry and semi-pro. Plus with the newer K-30, comes easier focusing with newer technology.

Think of it like this, adding 300 dollars will get you better ergonomics. But do you really need all that? You will get excellent pictures whichever DSLR you choose.
Thank you for the detail explanation.
I have been a long time prosumer user (Panasonic FZ-30) learning all the basics of photography.
I feel that it's time for me to upgrade to DSLR so this will be my first DSLR purchase.
I am picking Pentax for its WR features as I am pretty sure I will be taking pictures under the rain a lot here in Seattle.
The K-5 at the store here is selling at Pentax suggested price $1099.95 and the DA 18-135 WR lens is at $529.95 so together it will be $1629.90 + $161.36 tax = $1791.26
Ebay price for the K-5 + 18-135 kit is around $1500 shipping included but I will be giving up the warranty(some of it at least, I think).

The K-30 from Amazon will just be $1199.95 + $118.80 tax =$1318.80.

I haven't handle either camera in person so it is quite hard to decide.

Is the AF and the image processor on the K-30 really that much of an improvement over the K-5?
07-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The AF may be a bit better, but it's early days yet and not enough users have been able to comment on the comparison. Looks promising!

The image processor is much better in terms of handling live view and video, and (based on reviewing K-01 and K5 samples) the image output should be very similar to the K5 but probably a shade less good at high ISO; not significantly worse or better really. (The K-01 shares the same image processor and sensor).

If you don't use MF lenses or video, the K5 is an unbeatable value proposition compared to what the other marques offer.

If you do frequently use fast MF lenses or video, the K30 is a godsend, and again amazing value.
07-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Much of what has been said about the K30 is spot on from what the specs say about it and the components it has in common with other Pentax offerings. That said, I stay away from 1.0 offerings myself and let others work out the bugs. The K30 may well be the best Pentax camera since the K-x, but with all the problems most new dSLRs have, I'd wait. Good luck with your choice.

PS- the K5 had several problems, but they are well known now and it's selling for around $925 fron very well known sellers.
07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks again guys for spending the time to explain the difference. Appreciated.
One more question here.
I know the K30 is lacking the top little LCD screen that the K5 have.
So where does the K30 display those info at? Does it show them on the back screen all the time?
When I use my FZ30, all the info are displayed inside the EVF so that I don't have to use the large back side color LCD screen to take pictures at all, which helped a lot on the battery running time.

07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes that's why I said I doubt most K-5 users use their top LCD. Everything + more is located on the back LCD, All the main settings like ISO, shutterspeed, and aperture is enlarged on the back LCD so it's easy to look at and you won't have to hunt for the information. Also when you put your eye through the viewfinder, it also displays them on the bottom so you never have to put your eye off the viewfinder to compose shots, just adjust the settings accordingly.
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yes that's why I said I doubt most K-5 users use their top LCD. Everything + more is located on the back LCD, All the main settings like ISO, shutterspeed, and aperture is enlarged on the back LCD so it's easy to look at and you won't have to hunt for the information. Also when you put your eye through the viewfinder, it also displays them on the bottom so you never have to put your eye off the viewfinder to compose shots, just adjust the settings accordingly.
Thank you for the info. I guess I am pulling more towards getting the K-30 now.
I mostly rely on looking inside the viewfinder for those settings instead of having them on the back side color lcd screen.
Glad to know that they will be showing inside the view finder so that the top side LCD really isn't a "must have" feature.
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by misbehave Quote
Thank you for the info. I guess I am pulling more towards getting the K-30 now.
I mostly rely on looking inside the viewfinder for those settings instead of having them on the back side color lcd screen.
Glad to know that they will be showing inside the view finder so that the top side LCD really isn't a "must have" feature.
No, its not a must have. I find that it conserves battery to turn off the back LCD and use the top screen, but its not that important. The fact that the K-30 has two wheels is a much bigger plus IMHO.
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #12

I agree with almost everything you said except for the top lcd comment. I used the top lcd all the time when I'm setting up my exposure, and when I'm shooting at night. I do agree that is not a necessity, but it does make it easier to set and change settings. I rather do that than go through the menu.

Also you get more fps and more iso range and therefore more dynamic range. I still dont think the difference is worth paying $300 more though, and having better af is better than the top lcd and you also get better video. You have a tough choice my friend. Im glad I already have a k5, so thank god I dont have to make this type of choice

Last edited by vimeto; 07-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
Guys, it's a done deal.
I should be getting my K-30 with the 18-135 kit on Monday from the evil Amazon who offer this package in such an attractive price.
As of today, I have become a Pentax slave.......
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Guys, it's a done deal.
I should be getting my K-30 with the 18-135 kit on Monday from the evil Amazon who offer this package in such an attractive price.
Congratulation on your purchase... if you not used the top LCD before, you won't missed it but if you have used it before (like me) you will miss it. Regardless, with either k-30 or k-5, you will have lots of fun and enjoyment taking pictures.
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Guys, it's a done deal.
Congratulations. I look forward to seeing your posts about the new K-30 and the 18-135 combo. Remember, putting it under running water is not what WR is for