Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Will the K10D be hard to find in a couple of months?

I saw on another site that they aren't manufacturing the K10D anymore and it would be hard to find. What do you think? I want to purchase on in a month or two after tax refund. I wish I didn't have to wait because of the $100 rebate until Jan. 31st.

01-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who knows how many units are still available in warehouses around the world. The supply could dry up in 2 weeks, or 6 months. In any case, I'm sure there will be plenty of well-kept K10Ds for sale on eBay come March when people start selling them to upgrade to the K20D. You'll probably be able to get a much better deal than even now with the rebate.
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, that's what I plan on doing, anyway. I really wouldn't worry too much about availability. You can still find any of the *ist models (used, at least), and they haven't been made since '06 or earlier.
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What does *ist mean?

01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debmac52 Quote
What does *ist mean?
It's one of Pentax' sillier marketing screw-ups... It's the model name for earlier DSLRs: *istD, *istDL, *istDS...etc.

Steves Digicams - Pentax *ist D Digital SLR - User Review
01-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by debmac52 Quote
What does *ist mean?
Refers to the Pentax product series prior to the current Kxx DSLR line, i.e. *istD, *istDS, *istDL, etc. Most people just leave of the *ist part of the product name and refer to the cameras as D, DS, etc. By the way, * in computerese in frequently a wildcard character, and Pentax evidently meant to convey the idea that the cameras would be suitable to any use that an owner might put them to.
01-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Refers to the Pentax product series prior to the current Kxx DSLR line, i.e. *istD, *istDS, *istDL, etc. Most people just leave of the *ist part of the product name and refer to the cameras as D, DS, etc. By the way, * in computerese in frequently a wildcard character, and Pentax evidently meant to convey the idea that the cameras would be suitable to any use that an owner might put them to.
The problem with those names is that you could go into a store and say "give me an iSTD, please". It can get weird.
01-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The problem with those names is that you could go into a store and say "give me an iSTD, please". It can get weird.
The other problem is that they are completely unsearchable. Try putting *ist into any Boolean search box. You'll end up with everything from aardvarktologist (they must exist, right?) to zeppelinologist (sweeeeeet)...

01-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A buddy of mine was told by a Canadian dealer that the K10d could no longer be ordered from Pentax Canada so I assume this means they have no remaining stock. I assume there is still some limited supply in the chain and, as others have noted, there will be a healthy used market for some time. That said, if I were in the market for a new body, the K20d and K200d look pretty attractive so I'm not sure I'd be all that fussed if I couldn't get a new K10d! Dave