Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need some advice - new camera

Hey All,

My wife and I are having our second kid in the next couple weeks so I was thinking of upgrading my K100D to a newer model. I'm not an expert by any means in photography or equipment but have been very pleased with the camera I have. The reason I want to "upgrade" is due to the shutter speed, megapixels and low light capabilities (plus the idea of a dSLR taking video is pretty enticing). Anyway - I'm thinking I can get anywhere from $150 - $200 for the K100D with the stock lense and will have roughly $550 - $600 to spend. I don't mind buying used at all. Can you guys give some direction of which models of Pentax I should be looking at? Would it be better to spend $400 on a body and then buy a $200 lense?

Much appreciated - George

07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi. Not to burst your bubble, but I don't know exactly what lenses you own, and if they would make a body upgrade worth it. If you only have the kit lens, simply upgrading to the latest body probably won't make you notice much better IQ (image quality). I personally have a K-x, with live view and video, but to be honest, I use the video maybe less than once a month. It isn't that great either, still has jello effect and weird sounds due to SR, you won't have AF, so it looks more like a gimmick.
6MP vs 12MP, 16MP or whatever is irrelevant for things like web posting or small prints, because the image gets resized anyway. Also, $200 can get you some serious quality if you buy the right stuff, let alone if you spend all $600 on lenses. But again, I don't know what are your current lenses, so I can help you further. Especially if you are still pleased with the K100d and don't have many lenses, I'd say stay with it. As to "upgrade due to shutter speed", I'm not sure what are you talking about? Shutter lag? Maximum of 1/4000?
07-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

As a fellow member, I would like to see your $$ stretched to the maximum. I have been using the *istDS since 2004. Over the years, I have found it to be very adequate with the Tamron 28-75/2.8, an excellent combination for me. I have never found it inadequate, and when it came to taking images of our little one, it never failed me. I don't know what lenses you use, but I cannot believe your K100D would be inadequate.

Now I shoot all MF lenses, with the same camera, even when our little one is now older, and moving significantly faster. I assure you, the new bundle of joy is not going to move very fast, and come X'mas season, should you feel the urge to upgrade your camera, there would be many a deal to be had. In the meantime, consider saving the money, and upgrade your glass if you need to.

BTW - Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, mate! Blue or pink??

(Looks like kcobain beat me to the post with identical thoughts by 3 min - while I was typing)

Last edited by subidoc; 07-06-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Typo
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree with kcobain92, if all you're ever going to use is one lens like the kit-lens, the camera body isn't going to help much. I would suggest saving up for a new lens that is faster for low light. However if you plan on upgrading to a body with better high ISO noise levels such as the K-r, then with your available cash, you probably won't be able to afford any other lens but the kit lens.

07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The AF lens bargains are the FA50 and DA35/2.4. A second hand K-x with kit lens, plus one of these lens would be great. But between a k-x with kit lens, and a K100D plus a FA50, I'd take the latter any day.
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I guess I didn't give enough info in my original post. I currently have the kit lens and the da 50-200 lens. By shutter speed I mean that the fps is slow for faster activities.

What I typically take pics of are my kid(s) and scenery.

Would it be better to get good lenses then?
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a ton, we currently have a 21 month old boy and are having a girl very soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
As a fellow member, I would like to see your $$ stretched to the maximum. I have been using the *istDS since 2003. Over the years, I have found it to be very adequate with the Tamron 28-75/2.8, an excellent combination for me. I have never found it inadequate, and when it came to taking images of our little one, it never failed me. I don't know what lenses you use, but I cannot believe your K100D would be inadequate.

Now I shoot all MF lenses, with the same camera, even when our little one is now older, and moving significantly faster. I assure you, the new bundle of joy is not going to move very fast, and come X'mas season, should you feel the urge to upgrade your camera, there would be many a deal to be had. In the meantime, consider saving the money, and upgrade your glass if you need to.

BTW - Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, mate! Blue or pink??

(Looks like kcobain beat me to the post with identical thoughts by 3 min - while I was typing)
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For better frames per second you'll have to upgrade to a new body. But if you are shooting at slower shutter speeds, that may also be the reason why your FPS is slow and you may have to resort to a faster lens with wider aperture, but I highly doubt that because you are shooting people which requires a faster shutter speed.

07-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Get a faster lens...
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The AF lens bargains are the FA50 and DA35/2.4. A second hand K-x with kit lens, plus one of these lens would be great. But between a k-x with kit lens, and a K100D plus a FA50, I'd take the latter any day.
For a newborn you will want to have video capability and the K-x is a terrific little camera that just became more affordable because of the release of the K-30. As for lenses - there are lots of options out there but the video and better low light performance of the K-x will be a G*dsend when you are shooting video and photos of a newborn! I'd go with either a used DA35/2.4 (excellent prime for around $150-160 used). A K-x body plus DA35/2.4 would be in your budget. An FA50/1.4 (I own both the 35 & 50) could also be possible, maybe.