Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

coupling for aperture ring

I wondered, why have pantax removed the aperture ring coupling from the digital cameras, what is the point? nikon has it (end models). what could be better in a crippled mount?
This is possibly one of the things I dislike most in my K-5, I really hope pentax will come to there senses add FULL support for K mount lenses.

07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I think it would interfere with the SDM contacts.
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
at the risk of sounding dumb, what is an aperture coupling ring ? and couldn't one be adapted to the camera mount ? maybe there is a third party solution to this, whatever it is ?
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One and only reason - to reduce cost.

07-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
at the risk of sounding dumb, what is an aperture coupling ring ? and couldn't one be adapted to the camera mount ? maybe there is a third party solution to this, whatever it is ?
no , there is no way around it.
some info:
Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I think it would interfere with the SDM contacts.
I don't think so because the MZ-S has both
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It doesn't interfere with SDM. SDM uses the communication and power paths of the (obsolete) power zoom features. And the Z/MZ series bodies with FA lenses still could use the mechanical connection, and the Power Zoom at the same time.

Obviously they thought they could save some money. If both the body and the lens are KAF2, this information (and more) is offered by the built-in chip of the lens, so the mechanical communication is not needed any-more. But I am missing it, too.
07-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reason is only cost and space. But while I too have some k mount lenses ask yourself how long do you retain compatibility with old lenses. Remember, A series lenses came out on the market 30 years ago. Every body since and every lens since has not needed it