Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Grip coming away on K7

Hi All,

I think this is the right place to post, but please move if not.

Recently the rubber grip has started separating from the main body around the front control wheel of my K7. The vast majority of the rubber is still firmly attached, but now when I scroll I tend to catch the edge and the rubber in the top moulded section appears to be loosely connected to body. This has been a slight issue for a while, but has become more pronounced now that I'm using my new 60-250- the extra pressure created when holding the camera has obviously forced the rubber off the body.

Has anybody else has similar trouble? Is the best fix just to poke down some superglue?

Thanks,

Aaron

07-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's try glue- it's worked for one of my legacy cameras!
07-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case I come across this problem, what is "try glue" do you buy it from wally-mart?

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had this problem on my K-7 or my new couple days old K-5.

07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had this happen with couple K7`s or K5, no telling when it could pop up how ever, so better be prepared than be caught with your pants down.
07-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asgr Quote
Hi All,

I think this is the right place to post, but please move if not.

Recently the rubber grip has started separating from the main body around the front control wheel of my K7. The vast majority of the rubber is still firmly attached, but now when I scroll I tend to catch the edge and the rubber in the top moulded section appears to be loosely connected to body. This has been a slight issue for a while, but has become more pronounced now that I'm using my new 60-250- the extra pressure created when holding the camera has obviously forced the rubber off the body.

Has anybody else has similar trouble? Is the best fix just to poke down some superglue?

Thanks,

Aaron
FYI, the grip sections on the K-7/K-5/K-01 are completely stuck on with double sided tape. I think just adding some thin pieces of tape might help without making it permanent. If the camera ever needs servicing, using glue could be an issue because one of the grip sections needs to be removed to access some parts of the camera (screws under the grip material).
07-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Banned

if you use a k7/k5 heavily, you may eventually run into this issue. I have two k7s that are dedicated work cameras, and have been used heavily. Both of mine exibit this very same issue and both started to seperate at the top around the front control wheel. I have yet to do anything about the issue so far, so im interested to see if others have faced this issue. Im not sure wether double sided tape or some sort of bonding agent is the best course of action.

07-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I want for the super glue option: LOCTITE super glue control. It has certainly fixed the problem, and was very easy to apply. It's a very thin liquid that you can easily (and cleanly) get between the separated rubber and body. Re servicing- well we'll see, but this was really starting to get annoying and was getting worse and worse. I'll take the risk that it might be harder to get the grip off if required, but I assume the screws are in the lower flat section of the grip, which is still only attached with the double-sided tape.

If anything untoward occurs I'll update here, but so far so good with the glue option.
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

K-5

Mine K-5 was serviced due to lens-release button which went off.. now after 2 months the rubber grip slowly goes off starting at the top around the wheel and lower around the IR remote detector.. quite annoying (but camera is still in warranty, so I'll wait until last month and I send it for service).

On the other hand the grip on my K 20D still holds perfectly after more than four years of daily use. Those Hoya cameras are much weaker.. Also all buttons and rollers are perfectly connected with body with tight tolerances on K 20D. While on K-5 they wobble a bit, which gives a toy-camera feel. I checked four K5 bodies and all are the same.

Even the Kx, which we have in lab started to have problems with roller.. It looks, that Hoya went for the lowest possible price in all components.

I hope Ricoh will do something with this now..

Last edited by xmeda; 07-27-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: auto-smiles
07-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Even the Kx, which we have in lab started to have problems with roller.. It looks, that Hoya went for the lowest possible price in all components.

I hope Ricoh will do something with this now..
Just FIY, this is a common issue (separating rubber grips) of Nikon semi-pro / pro DSLRs. Does this mean that they are using even lower quality components?
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Quick update- it's been two months and the grip is still holding up well. I'd recommend the superglue solution to anyone who has a similar problem, and servicing problems will just have to be dealt with when they arise.

Cheers,

Aaron
09-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #12

Well.. after 2.5 months the lens release button is off again...

wery bad