Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
todd - I'd make a few other suggestions.

These are a ways east off I5 but notable:
Lassen Volcanic Park - this place is hot
Burney Falls - holy cow waterfall
A bit closer to I5:
McCloud River and Falls - very nice series of water falling
Right on I5:
Mossbrae Falls - very cool falls and...trains!
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Don't waste any time trying to photograph a redwood tree. It simply cannot be done. I was out that way with the family in 1991 during our "Great Western Jaunt". I was never able to take a picture or even see one that captures the moment when you first look at one. Great vacation. We covered 9,100 miles in 5 weeks in our Aerostar van pulling a pop-up. Cheap way to see the country.
Hogwash! It just takes some planning.

07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow thanks wasser! Looks like Mossbrae will be a for sure stop. McCloud will be a maybe. I might have to take a solo trip up there while we are staying in Redding. The other two might be too far of a sidetrack unfortunately, unless we were to decide to come back down the 5 on our return instead of heading to the coast after Silver Falls.

That Ngeo image is so cool! ;-)
07-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I did a similar trip. I did Lassen, Shasta, Crater Lake, Hood, Rainier, Shukstan, etc., then came back down the coast, redwood, oregon caves, etc. Honestly I'd skip the caves if I were to do it again.
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting.. I am hesitant about heading toward Crater Lake at this point because we don't have lodging booked for that leg of our journey and the only place I could find nearby was near Diamond Lake and it's $250 per night, so yeah...

07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I found Crater Lake to be absolutely gorgeous but perhaps not quite as photogenic as it is beautiful. YMMV. I stayed in Klamath falls which is quite a bit away. If I were to do it again I'd try to stay at the Inn in crater Lake itself - it's on the lake - but I imagine it's rather booked right now.