Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Headed to Oregon for the first time next week...

With my freshly acquired K5/DA15 tools in hand!

First up the I5 to stay with friends in Redding CA for a few days, then I'll be at a family camp in Foster OR (northeast of Eugene) with my fam for five days, then we'll head to Silver Falls (Sublimity OR) for a couple days after that for waterfall mania.

We are not sure where we are headed after that, but the general direction we have in mind at this point will be toward the Northern Cal coast and down on the way back, which is all unfamiliar territory (Until we get to Eureka, where I've been albeit decades ago)... Any tips, or suggestions for stops/locations up there? We don't even have accomodations lined up yet for after Silver Falls because that leg of the journey has been a last minute idea.. (Rather than just coming straight home down the I5).. I'd like to visit the Redwood National Park for sure, so trying to figure out where to stay that would be the closest to that.. (Looks like it might be Crescent City)

Other things I am pondering:

- I remember reading in Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure that it's best to expose greenery at -2/3. Do you folks agree with that? I hadn't read the book the last time I was in a lot of greenery in 2010, so haven't had a chance to experiment..

- I have a polarizing filter (an old Vivitar 49mm that I got for free) but haven't used it at all yet. Is it worth paying much attention to in the green settings I'll be in? I remember reading in Peterson's book that it helps when photographing water (especially if its cloudy)...

- I am wondering if I should also pick up a neutral density filter.. Any thoughts/suggestions there? (Which thicknes, which brand, etc?) I am probably going to have to pick one up at a retail outlet at this point if it's going with me... (thinking Samy's)... (We're leaving Wednesday)


Last edited by todd; 07-07-2012 at 12:07 PM.
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
With my freshly acquired K5/DA15 tools in hand!

First up the I5 to stay with friends in Redding CA for a few days, then I'll be at a family camp in Foster OR (northeast of Eugene) with my fam for five days, then we'll head to Silver Falls (Sublimity OR) for a couple days after that for waterfall mania.

We are not sure where we are headed after that, but the general direction we have in mind at this point will be toward the Northern Cal coast and down on the way back, which is all unfamiliar territory (Until we get to Eureka, where I've been albeit decades ago)... Any tips, or suggestions for stops/locations up there? We don't even have accomodations lined up yet for after Silver Falls because that leg of the journey has been a last minute idea.. (Rather than just coming straight home down the I5).. I'd like to visit the Redwood National Park for sure, so trying to figure out where to stay that would be the closest to that.. (Looks like it might be Crescent City)

Other things I am pondering:

- I remember reading in Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure that it's best to expose greenery at -2/3. Do you folks agree with that? I hadn't read the book the last time I was in a lot of greenery in 2010, so haven't had a chance to experiment..

- I have a polarizing filter (an old Vivitar 49mm that I got for free) but haven't used it at all yet. Is it worth paying much attention to in the green settings I'll be in? I remember reading in Peterson's book that it helps when photographing water (especially if its cloudy)...

- I am wondering if I should also pick up a neutral density filter.. Any thoughts/suggestions there? (Which thicknes, which brand, etc?) I am probably going to have to pick one up at a retail outlet at this point if it's going with me... (thinking Samy's)... (We're leaving Wednesday)
Sounds like an excellent trip. On the old Vivitar PL filter - as I recall the old ones can cause some problems on digital sensors and the recommendation is to use only CPL filters. My preference, after a bunch of reading and after use for nearly a year, is for Marumi CPL filters because they are highly rated but relatively inexpensive.
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sounds like an excellent trip. On the old Vivitar PL filter - as I recall the old ones can cause some problems on digital sensors and the recommendation is to use only CPL filters. My preference, after a bunch of reading and after use for nearly a year, is for Marumi CPL filters because they are highly rated but relatively inexpensive.
CPL just means it has the circular ring so it rotates right? The Vivitar I have has that ring and rotates..

Edit: I just went outside and tested and it seems to work fine.. It's the middle of the day here and it made the colors slightly more saturated and there was a reflective surface (the table) that it muted in my sample shots..

My test (Edit: I just read that I was supposed to have the sun behind me.. In this test it was overhead, slightly in front):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by todd; 07-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.
07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Not sure what to tell you on where to stay etc. but Silver Falls is a lovely park. Oh, as I recall, for Redwood NP it's kinda equidistant between Crescent City and Eureka/Arcata area (both are a fair drive away). Assuming that you are driving, head for the Oregon Coast and take 101 all the way to California. Cape Lookout is a bit north but a lovely feature to see. The great dunes just south of Florence are fun as well. The many coastal bridges are lovely too. Post some pictures.

Oh, I almost forgot. In Redding, you HAVE to go to the Sundial bridge in the very early morning for sunrise. It's a spectacular subject.





Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 07-07-2012 at 02:05 PM.
07-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Not sure what to tell you on where to stay etc. but Silver Falls is a lovely park. Oh, as I recall, for Redwood NP it's kinda equidistant between Crescent City and Eureka/Arcata area (both are a fair drive away). Assuming that you are driving, head for the Oregon Coast and take 101 all the way to California. Cape Lookout is a bit north but a lovely feature to see. The great dunes just south of Florence are fun as well. The many coastal bridges are lovely too. Post some pictures.

Oh, I almost forgot. In Redding, you HAVE to go to the Sundial bridge in the very early morning for sunrise. It's a spectacular subject.
Thanks for the suggestions! That's a great shot/subject indeed! I will definitely pay a visit.
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
The old PLs rotated too, the circular part refers to how the actual lenses are coated/made - glad yours works fine.
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The old PLs rotated too, the circular part refers to how the actual lenses are coated/made - glad yours works fine.
Yeah, well it's definitely old as it came from an old box in my grandpa's basement that had tons of old camera stuff in it.. Looking at those Marumi's online, that is more than I am going to spend right now, so this will probably be the one for this trip at least..
07-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Yeah, well it's definitely old as it came from an old box in my grandpa's basement that had tons of old camera stuff in it.. Looking at those Marumi's online, that is more than I am going to spend right now, so this will probably be the one for this trip at least..
No real need to if the old one doesn't negatively impact the output from the camera.

07-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No real need to if the old one doesn't negatively impact the output from the camera.
Sounds good thanks! ;-)
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
- I remember reading in Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure that it's best to expose greenery at -2/3. Do you folks agree with that? I hadn't read the book the last time I was in a lot of greenery in 2010, so haven't had a chance to experiment..
I'm a bit out of norm but I like -2 for greenery. I prefer underexposed pictures, though, and I process everything I want to keep. I'd recommend at least -2/3.

You should definitely bring your filter. The negative might be that it doesn't work with AF, but not a super big deal some of the time. If you like the way it looks in the finder, take the pic with the filter.

I have neutral density filters, the only time I really use them is for extended shutter... i.e. milky water pics. I find graduated filters more useful, to be honest.

I really like the value of Marumi filters. To be honest I like them better than B+W, but I don't think many/all people agree with me. Check on shipping cost/speed, of course.
07-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
Well just got an enthusiastic suggestion today to add in Mt Shasta and Crater Lake to our stops.... Will be looking into how we can fit them in... ;-)
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Photos: Albums
Posts: 492
I think the term "circular" is down to the physics of the thing. You can read the gory details here:
Polarizing filters test - About light and polarization - Lenstip.com
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
That would be interesting if I have enough brains to understand it! :-D Gory physics indeed! :-)
07-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,815
Crater Lake has the bluest water that you will ever see. Oregon Caves nearby. Stop anywhere you want along the coast to get some great pics.

Don't waste any time trying to photograph a redwood tree. It simply cannot be done. I was out that way with the family in 1991 during our "Great Western Jaunt". I was never able to take a picture or even see one that captures the moment when you first look at one. Great vacation. We covered 9,100 miles in 5 weeks in our Aerostar van pulling a pop-up. Cheap way to see the country.
07-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,807
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Don't waste any time trying to photograph a redwood tree. It simply cannot be done. I was out that way with the family in 1991 during our "Great Western Jaunt". I was never able to take a picture or even see one that captures the moment when you first look at one. Great vacation. We covered 9,100 miles in 5 weeks in our Aerostar van pulling a pop-up. Cheap way to see the country.
I know exactly what you mean since we went to the Sequioa NF a couple years ago... I've seen some nice shots of big trees but mine were pretty lame... I was playing with hdr way too much.

Would love to be able to travel in style like you did! Our Saturn Outlook will be cramping our style the whole way! :-)

As it is, my fam of seven won't be camping at all on this trip because the wife simply won't allow it. We don't have the right tools, like a trailer, so I don't blame her. Fortunately we have some friends we are staying with for part, and then we've reserved some cabin lodging in Silver Falls.. Still have a few nights toward the end of the trip unplanned that I'm a bit concerned about... Certainly not like my younger solo years when I could crash wherever and whenever...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
book, camera, days, dslr, greenery, photography, silver, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Photo of the Week - Oregon Dark-Eyed Junco Adam Post Your Photos! 0 07-11-2011 10:00 AM
Photo of the Week - Time brake Adam Post Your Photos! 2 07-13-2010 02:35 AM
Landscape Last week we spent some time in the Rockies..... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 14 05-26-2010 10:30 PM
Project 52, Week 46 - Time Pieces Winners Skyntara Weekly Photo Challenges 10 05-05-2009 05:11 AM
Project 52, Week 46 - Time Pieces DanLoc78 Weekly Photo Challenges 21 05-04-2009 01:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top