Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Of course, anyone contemplating staying with the Pentax K10D will be joining a long list of others expecting to do the exact same thing. And that most certainly includes me. The K10D easily exceeds my current needs and ten megapixels is more than enough for most applications (magazine and book publishing, print advertising, portraits, fashion, etc). Further, both of my K10D bodies are less than a year old, with plenty of useful life remaining in them. And finally, I simply like the K10D, even with it's little quirks here and there. Given all that, I simply see no reason to even consider an alternative at the moment.

stewart

01-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have every other camera I ever bought so why not?

As my title implies, I have every other camera I ever bought, as I upgraded my film cameras I always kept the older ones. Note however, I do not change cameras like people change cloths, i.e. I don't go out and get a new camera to be fashonable.

I do buy new cameras when they offer something my present ones do not. For example, my first camera was a ricoh XR2s. It was a nice camera, but when I went looking for a second body (to use different ISO film) I bought a used KX. Why, it did a lot of things the XR2s didn't. It had a ground glass viewfinder, which did not darken when using slow lenses, it had a mechanically timed shutter, so that I could shoot without batteries if needed (I have 2 light meters also). When I bought the PZ1 it came with auto focus, a 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync speed, spot metering, and other functions. but I still kept all my other bodies.

With digital, I got an *istD. Then K10D. I kept the *istD because of 3200 ISO, the ability to use TTL flash with old lenses. I got the K10D because it had much faster image processing, 10MP, and all around (including some software things that I continually harras pentax to fix) it is a much better camera.

If and when I get my next camera, I will probably retain the others, as I have already. I have taken a system approach, where all of my cameras still work, and can be put to use as back ups, Whith the exception of my Sigma 10-20, which has an ASP-C image circle, all my lenses are full frame. Except for my Pentax FAJ 18-35, all of my lenses can work fully on all my film bodies, the FAJ 18-35 is limited to my PZ1, due to the lack of apature coupling.

Many people want a back up, and the K10D will be relegated to that role, at some time. I am sure the next purchase will have many more features which is why I will get it. What I am not sure about is whether the K20D will be my next purchase. I don't see enough difference yet iin the spec's to make me want it.
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20 not fer me ^_^

QuoteQuote:
1. I don't need more megapixels, 10 is plenty.
2. I'm pretty happy with IQ
3. No major improvement in AF (speed, accuracy, or tracking moving objects). This would have been a BIG selling point for me.
4. No practical improvement in FPS. 5-6 FPS at full resolution would also have been nice.
5. K10D already is a better camera than I am a photographer.
6. Don't need live view
7. I bought the K10D for build quality, user interface,shake reduction, and price and on these points it delivers.
8. Did I mention the price!
Dude I totally agree, K10D enough for me, till they get a camera that is more my cup of tea..

Off to get another lens...

ABCWinter

ABC
01-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #19

I'll keep my K10D. So far I made some 11.000 shots and hope that I make it to 100.000.

01-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #20

Heck. I just bought a K10D!! With the new K20D being all the buzz, the price couldn't be more right for a K10 purchase!
02-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a D, DS and aK10D.

While I am mightily impressed with the K20D, I'm going to pass initially.

There are a couple of lenses on my list (think big fast primes) that I need way more than another body.

After that, we'll see.
02-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #22

Electronic componentry evolves continuously, as does digital technology. Manufacturers of equipment using such technlogies have to constantly rush the evolution of their products to be seen to be offering something competitive. This is the main reason why in today's commercial environment we have computers, cameras, software, etc that are superceded by new models often within 6-12 months of release. It's also the reason why it often takes several supercessions before bugs and faults are ironed out.

Were Microsoft to take a breather and have a good hard think about what really needs to be done to make a Windows upgrade good value for money, there would probably be a three or four year wait before the next Windows release. That won't happen, because that's not the way to make money.

It would be very easy to feel as if you're being left behind if you don't trade in the K10D for a K20D, but that would be because you've been fooled into thinking as much. Not long ago, photographers used to use the same camera for years, if not their whole lives.

You can get the K20D now, but that will be superceded in a couple of years too. What then?? The K10D uses technology that is impressive enough to last a good while. I'd be inclined to hold on to it until it broke down of its own accord.

My advice to anyone with any model DSLR: Take the time to familiarise yourself with every aspect of the camera you have, and let that camera improve your craft as much as possible, rather than skipping onto each new release and being so concerned with technology that you forget to be a photographer.

02-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm staying with mine!

Like many of the posts above, I bought a K10D recently, after rumors of the new camera began to shift from possibility to probability. The price on the K10D was down to a very attractive point, and my years in technical and academic fields has taught me to recognize value when I see it.

This camera will keep me busy applying its capabilities and improving my own for the foreseeable future. For me, the next step up will most likely be a medium format digital of 20+MP. I truly hope that might be a Pentax 645D or the equivalent. But I don't presently see enough value in higher megapixel DSLRs to make me want to pay their current prices, even at the K20D's rather reasonable premium of more than twice what I just paid for my K10D. I'll spend my money on LBA for now!
02-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Excellent points all, the K10 will go down as a landmark camera for Pentax, much like the Asahiflex and the K1000. The IQ of this camera holds its own against all competition in its range and even sits at the top when it comes to RAW. Personally, i hate how fast Pentax decided to replace this camera after just one year...they've only just started to change retailers perception of the brand down here largely due to this camera. The second largest retailer in the city recently put ads in the national paper with the K10 taking the spotlight, even decorated it with the official logos of Camera Grand Prix, EISA award, TIPA award....im in no hurry to replace my K10, might even grab another while their still available new...if only because i'd love to have one camera dedicated to my m42 lenses

Last edited by Kaimarx; 02-04-2008 at 02:48 AM.
02-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #25

Bought mine in November 2006

and Paid much more than most of the prior posts at $999 (low price for the time purchased I think). I'll be keeping my K10D too, as I'm far from learning all it can do.

Lenses on the other hand are sometimes a try and replace object until you find the one that fits your needs or style.