Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why I'll Keep My K10D

I bought my K10D right after Christmas for $509.00 after rebate and I really wrestled with that decision with the new models coming out a month later. Well, I made a good decision (for me, anyway) and here's why:
1. I don't need more megapixels, 10 is plenty.
2. I'm pretty happy with IQ
3. No major improvement in AF (speed, accuracy, or tracking moving objects). This would have been a BIG selling point for me.
4. No practical improvement in FPS. 5-6 FPS at full resolution would also have been nice.
5. K10D already is a better camera than I am a photographer.
6. Don't need live view
7. I bought the K10D for build quality, user interface,shake reduction, and price and on these points it delivers.
8. Did I mention the price!

No doubt the K20D will probably get great reviews, but I will be waiting for the next iteration to address AF and FPS. Meanwhile, I'll be taking lots of great shots with my K10D.

01-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Same here, though I even passed on upgrading from the KHundredD to the KTenD for $509. Though the price was tempting, even the 10 had nothing compelling for my shooting style. Rats. Maybe next time.
01-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
edl
Veteran Member

Agreed. I also picked up the K10D for $509 after rebate last month. Even if you compare it to the K200D...why spend more for a pentamirror viewfinder?

If I was in the market right now, I'd still go pick up a K10D...it delivers tons of value.

Last edited by edl; 01-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i am actually kinda happy having gotten the 10d in october, amid rumors of new and exciting cameras on the horizon

i am happy because my luck is usually such that i will buy one thing, and very soon thereafter, i will wish i had waited for the latest and greatest

now, not the case. not saying the 20d isnt sounding nice, but for the price, im happy with what i have, allowing me to learn and grow.

01-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

The weather resistance was all I needed (in add'n to the above). I kept my H3v for almost 50 years.
01-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Agreed, my K10D arrived in time for Xmas and although I'm a sucker for technology, I doubt I can outperform it anytime soon. I just hope Pentax keeps shipping them because I honestly think there is a huge market for this price point for a quality product. It would be a shame if they lost sales because they drop a cash cow.
01-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I bought a Nikon FM in 1977 and used it up until a year ago when I went to the K10d. Photography is a hobby for me and I enjoy it very much. The problem I see with the current camera market, or electronics market in general, is it reminds me of the auto industry. Every year they have to come out with some new silver bullet to get our money. Hell, I have not yet come close to mastering the K10d and now I am supposed to run out and get the K20? No thank you Pentax or any other camera company. I will keep what I have and continue to try to master it and work on taking the best pictures with the equipment I currently own. I am an amateur for pete sake I don't need the latest greatest to go out and have fun taking photos. Just my 2 cents worth.

01-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually, this thread helps answer a question that's been on my mind, which is do I replace the DS I have with the K10 or go ahead and put my money into getting a couple of lenses that I want while waiting for the price of the K20 to drop. If the K20 isn't that much better (and I really don't need 14mp, anyhow), then I'll see about getting a K10. Assuming I go the K10 route, I'll probably get one of the lenses (21/3.2) before I tackle saving up for the K10 body and then a dedicated macro lens. Other than an occasional LBA splurge, that should pretty much complete my kit. I figure that by the time Pentax comes out with the next generation of bodies, I should be in a better position to plunk down more $$$ for a body (unless I decide to bite the bullet and get the 31--that's the LBA talking).

Heather
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Agreed, my K10D arrived in time for Xmas and although I'm a sucker for technology, I doubt I can outperform it anytime soon. I just hope Pentax keeps shipping them because I honestly think there is a huge market for this price point for a quality product. It would be a shame if they lost sales because they drop a cash cow.
I've owned the K100D, since August 06 and I'm still discovering the odd little thing here and there

Plus I'd compare the image quality to my new 14mp camera, in most aspects.
01-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Never mind the diamonds...LENSES are a girl's best friend.
Huh. Except that most lenses seem to cost more than the average diamond setting...
01-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I bought my K10D in October and am very happy with it, however I kept watching and reading about the next "best thing" K20D. When the specs and pictures came out I was unimpressed by the specs but very impressed by the IQ, my wife said when it is available go buy it, I thought for awhile and said to myself for that money I could buy a couple of lenses I need for shooting my kids sports, a flash, new bag, and a new photo printer. For me the lack of FPS upgrade to at least 5-6 is a bummer as for AF speed I would like it faster but I'm used to anticapating shots with a MF. I think I will pass on the K20D in hopes the next big thing will address these issuses I don't want to stop shooting PENTAX, it would be nice if they could give everyone alittle of what they asked for.
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
I bought my K10D in October and am very happy with it, however I kept watching and reading about the next "best thing" K20D. When the specs and pictures came out I was unimpressed by the specs but very impressed by the IQ, my wife said when it is available go buy it, I thought for awhile and said to myself for that money I could buy a couple of lenses I need for shooting my kids sports, a flash, new bag, and a new photo printer. For me the lack of FPS upgrade to at least 5-6 is a bummer as for AF speed I would like it faster but I'm used to anticapating shots with a MF. I think I will pass on the K20D in hopes the next big thing will address these issuses I don't want to stop shooting PENTAX, it would be nice if they could give everyone alittle of what they asked for.
Lust a reminder that the lens and photographer have something to do with the image quality.
Just because you see several pro's photographs turning heads with a certain camera doesn't mean that you'll be able to with the same camera.
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
me... I might need to buy another camera, with my broken LCD and cracked body, from two drops @ different times, if it isn't covered by warranty (good possibility not)... I could wait for the K20D to become available and be an 'early adopter' ... and I'm likely going to buy both. But if I need to get another if mine presently is deemed a total loss, I'll be getting the K10D again first while there's still around to get. ..imagine what the price will be then?! I'd only get the K20D after some price drops I imagine... or, unless I need a 2nd body for a trip. (do I babble much? guess so )
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
I bought my K10D right after Christmas for $509.00 after rebate and I really wrestled with that decision with the new models coming out a month later. Well, I made a good decision (for me, anyway) and here's why:
1. I don't need more megapixels, 10 is plenty.
2. I'm pretty happy with IQ
3. No major improvement in AF (speed, accuracy, or tracking moving objects). This would have been a BIG selling point for me.
4. No practical improvement in FPS. 5-6 FPS at full resolution would also have been nice.
5. K10D already is a better camera than I am a photographer.
6. Don't need live view
7. I bought the K10D for build quality, user interface,shake reduction, and price and on these points it delivers.
8. Did I mention the price!

No doubt the K20D will probably get great reviews, but I will be waiting for the next iteration to address AF and FPS. Meanwhile, I'll be taking lots of great shots with my K10D.
Hi Workingdog, I bought my K10D seven days before the K20D anouncement Knowing full well it would be oblosleted insied a week. Still happy with that decision - a truly magic camera that will seriously test my photographic skills, or lack thereoff.

Regards
Brian
01-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
...two drops @ different times, if it isn't covered by warranty (good possibility not)...

Not unless you bought some kind of insurance. Impact damage is not a manufacturering defect :-(