Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Your video made Gizmodo!
And nearly 20,000 views already with 45 comments. I just looked at YouTube and of the official Pentax USA videos and the Marc Newson interview is the only one in the past year that exceeds that - and that was in 5+ months time. The video is fast approaching 30k views on YouTube and in 24 hours or so!

07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

That's really cool! I love this video and shared it with my Canikon friends.
07-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
When you make it through Orlando, drop me a line.
Lauren, I'm flattered, really, but I haven't been single for a while now...

lol, but seriously, I'd love to. With the deployment ending in Spring 2013 (so many more updates to come!) and my insistence that my family comes to Germany as opposed to me coming home in 2013, I expect it won't happen to 2014-ish...

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I found especially significant that you were daring enough to juggle two difficult to replace (in Afghanistan) cameras without neck straps.
Yea....I would be lying if I wasn't afraid of dropping them at the time. If it weren't because of the battery grip on the K-5, I think I might have lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Your video seems to have been pretty effective. A lot of people (Olympus users, etc) keep talking about making the switch to Pentax. Hopefully Pentax gets word of your video and does decide to send you a nice care package. You've definitely upped their reputation.
Bold: That was the plan

Maybe a K-30 + 560mm f/5.6 to me here in Afghanistan so I can give them the same field test

Honestly though, not my motivation

Thanks all, and like I said in the other thread - I did NOT expect this to go viral at all. It's really wreaking havoc on my narcissism

-Heie
07-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #34

Seriously, Pentax should send you some complementary gift.

07-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good idea not operating the zoom or focus rings, and rinsing them off immediately!
07-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm glad the cameras and lenses can take the beating and still work. A great demonstration in that aspect. But doing something like that on purpose ... well, to me it feels like crashing your car on purpose just because it has an airbag.
07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #37
Forum Member

some people think that the flash mechanical open has broken since in one of the two camera you had to open it by hand, may you clarify if was only the dirt or was truly broken?

Last edited by befocus; 07-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.
07-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
That was the intent - glad to see that I accomplished my mission - just wait until I do version 2
Version 1 should've made it to Pentax's front page. Obviously they should start featuring guys like you who really take the gear "outdoors". It's the best review, I believe, one that comes from real customers and not marketing-inclined review sites

Version 2 would probably make you Captain Pentax!

07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

By the way, Heie, it's now close to 77,000 views with 376 likes and only 8 dislikes.

When did you post this again? Looks like your video's doing better than actual Pentax commercials
07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
By the way, Heie, it's now close to 77,000 views with 376 likes and only 8 dislikes.

When did you post this again? Looks like your video's doing better than actual Pentax commercials
It is doing better. Some of the official Pentax US ads have more hits but they've been up for 6 months to 3 years. This one has been up a couple of days. Wow.
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trunk Quote
Seriously, Pentax should send you some complementary gift.
I knew I liked you for a reason

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Good idea not operating the zoom or focus rings, and rinsing them off immediately!
Honestly, they would be fine. In completely realistic circumstances I'd wipe off/blow off/rinse the telescoping parts of the zoom very hastily before doing so, but even that wouldn't remove everything, and I'd still be comfortable doing that. I know some (read: a lot of) people think I'm reckless - I just really trust the sealing by Pentax. Like I said in the video (and this shocked the hell out of me because it seems a HELL of a lot of sites that posted this video focused on this aspect), I did the test twice in a row.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I'm glad the cameras and lenses can take the beating and still work. A great demonstration in that aspect. But doing something like that on purpose ... well, to me it feels like crashing your car on purpose just because it has an airbag.
With all due respect, there is a very significant difference between destroying your vehicle to test the airbags and driving your car through a rainstorm to test the rubber seals on the doors to make sure no water gets in.

QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
some people think that the flash mechanical open has broken since in one of the two camera you had to open it by hand, may you clarify if was only the dirt or was truly broken?
It wasn't broken, and I can see how some people think that. There was some sand that apparently got under the flash (which is sealed, but not the space between the flash and body), that had caused it to temporarily jam. I can assure you though, that it now works perfectly after a little bit more attention (like I said - the sand/dust is fine here).

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Version 1 should've made it to Pentax's front page. Obviously they should start featuring guys like you who really take the gear "outdoors". It's the best review, I believe, one that comes from real customers and not marketing-inclined review sites Version 2 would probably make you Captain Pentax!
You would think they'd capatilize on something like this, but I am starting to lose hope for Pentax Marketing. Hell, put me in charge of the division - the world over would know Pentax, and as seen in the video, it can be done at no cost too

Oh, and appreciate the back-up on the video in the comments

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It is doing better. Some of the official Pentax US ads have more hits but they've been up for 6 months to 3 years. This one has been up a couple of days. Wow.
And I still am shocked by the success of that video! It's crazy! Before, it was crazy to think it would get exposure outside of PF and DPR, where I posted it. Then when it hit 25k views, I had to refresh the page to make sure it wasn't a glitch. And then it hit 40, and now 80! Eighty Thousand! Now I'm optimistic for that six digit figure

But going back to trunk's comment...that works

Oh, and I thought you guys would appreciate this exhange between two commenters:

QuoteOriginally posted by Mario Liedtke:
That looks very spectacular, but is in fact the lowest danger for sealed cameras. Just giving a little sand over it and showers it of is not a real challenge. Because the sand isn't as fine as the flying sand, and the water not as fast falling like rain. A real demonstration would be a day at the beach and a runback to the hotel while its raining. Then the sand, wind and water will attack the body from every angle and with more force.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryan:
You're right, instead of using it in a warzone, he should test it in a truly hellish environment like running from a beach to a hotel in the rain. Then we could see what that camera's made of.

Thanks again all

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 07-11-2012 at 10:21 PM.
07-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Up to 81,000 views. Not too shabby.
07-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #43
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I also spent time in the Mid East in Saudi Arabia back in the eighties and put my Pentax's through some rough times, albeit not quite as dramatic as the film clip.

In those days LX's had good dust seals. This was one of the main reasons I switched to Pentax from Nikon (also the local Pentax agent was very pro active).

Even though the F3 had seals, the sand still seemed to get in. The film gate was the worst place as it meant lots of time with a paint brush spotting prints afterwards.

Remember no PS in those days.
07-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Love the exchange that you posted between two commentators. Geez, some people

I lost faith in Pentax USA Marketing long ago. Hidden away in their Mountain retreat seems to have done something to their perceptions of the world that is not conducive to actually interacting proactively with others. It's almost like the Guru sitting on top of the mountain contemplating life, without actually living it, and awaiting others to come to him.
07-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gizmodo link: I Still Can't Believe a Normal Camera Can Resist These Tortures

--DragonLord