Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JPEG Shrinkage

I shot normally in JPEG at the highest setting since i dont have any type of RAW editor currently. Most of my photos are of my family and kids and others are landscapes. I compress the photos to upload to google/facebook for sharing but they look like a$$ compared to the originals in my home PC viewing the originals, mostly the greens are blown out almost taking over and the sharpness just goes away completly. I've read here about different jpeg compressors like sillypix and shoting using a lower jpeg setting. So is it better to set the camera lower or try another program to shrink them. Can i shot regular RAW and +Jpeg at a smaller size? Whats recomended?

07-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
it's due to facebook/google auto resizing program : they destroy a lot of details.

The best way to prevent it to happened is to use a decent software to create some 1600px wide copy of your original Jpeg (always keeps original picture as is.).
07-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm aware most "free" image hosters will resize images and is why i try to resize them down on my end before uploading, hoping they wont try to resize if i already shrunk them to 1024. I just use the windows live image editor to resize them in groups, then they get saved into a new folder that i upload. I still have all the originals which i really need to start putting on DVD's.
07-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I forgot to tell you, make sure your body produce some picture with the sRGB gamut (2.1 version) and not the AdobeRGB.

07-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you are looking for a new software, then I guess Adobe Photo Shop Elements would be a good start. Buy a good book with it and just go and play around with it. Maybe somewhere in your aerea there is some cource to take as well if you don't know anything about it.
07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, its usually the AdobeRGB vs. sRGB thing for color problems. Compression causes loss of detail and artefacts. The most you can do is either upload the highest resolution and quality, so the website resizing has more to work with OR if you can, do the resizing yourself so the website won't have to (though some websites do this regardless of the image size and quality).
07-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
I shot normally in JPEG at the highest setting since i dont have any type of RAW editor currently. Most of my photos are of my family and kids and others are landscapes. I compress the photos to upload to google/facebook for sharing but they look like a$$ compared to the originals in my home PC viewing the originals,
As others have pointed out most hosting website will resize and further compress photos.
Try to size photos to max dimension of about 1024 pixels - this fills most common screens, and max common displayable size for flickr.

Then save the JPG quality to about 70% which is normally pretty acceptable for web/screen viewing.

and also make sure the color space is sRGB (set as default on Pentax dSLRs) and not AdobeRGB.

Every Pentax dSLR come supplied with software - PDCU (Pentax Digital Camera Utility) which is one of the very best RAW processors for Pentax photos.

There are plenty of free photo editors -
one of the simplest and surprisingly powerful is -
FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
one can easily resize, adjust brightness/contrast, colors and sharpen then save to an adjustable JPG quality.
It even has curves a very, very useful feature.
It can also view and convert RAW images.

About.com Free Photo Editors for Windows - Top Picks
Gizmo's Best Free Digital Image Editor
ConsumerSearch.com on Free Photo Editors
TechRadar Best Free Photo Editor
Hive Five Best Image Editing Tools - Lifehacker

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-26-2012 at 07:31 AM.
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did your camera not come with a CD with Pentax Photo Lab?

Furthermore, there are plenty freeware viewers that allow you to resize your jpeg images. And freeware image processing software that allows you to do most of the necessary adjustments to jpegs and/or raw (and possibly more).

07-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Did your camera not come with a CD with Pentax Photo Lab?

Furthermore, there are plenty freeware viewers that allow you to resize your jpeg images. And freeware image processing software that allows you to do most of the necessary adjustments to jpegs and/or raw (and possibly more).

I got my K20 used and it didnt come with anything but a charger. Did only have an 800 shutter count. I downloaded one of the free RAW editors, cant remember name but i didnt find it very helpful. I'm holding out for photoshop, all i really need it for is to eleviate some purple fringing from my tamron 70-300, wouldnt mind being able to remove somethings from photos like utility lines running through my sunset.
07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

For just very basic resizing and minimal but quality adjustments I still like paint.net It's freeware, so you can check it out.
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is a link to the software from Pentax's Website... they have both Mac and Windows.

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Here is a link to the software from Pentax's Website... they have both Mac and Windows.
Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA
Unfortunately that download is an Update only -
one has to have PDCU4 already installed.

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA UTILITY UPDATE v4.35
PENTAX is pleased to announce that the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility version 4.35 is now available, free of charge, to previous owners of the Digital Camera Utility versions 4 and later.

Downloads are available for Windows (7, Vista, XP SP3) and MacOS-X (10.4.11, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7).

PLEASE NOTE: Due to significant design changes with the Digital Camera Utility version 4 from previous versions, this update will only work with versions 4 and later. Previous versions of this utility software (e.g. versions 2x and 3x), will not be updated with this download.
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Unfortunately that download is an Update only -
one has to have PDCU4 already installed.
hmmm thats no good...
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Once you downsize your images open them up again and resharpen !
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

When you want to reduce the size of your images, I think the key word here is "resample", as opposed to "resize". If the correct algorithms are used, it's possible to achieve high quality, but smaller images, which have the benefit of reduced noise compared to the larger originals.

It's very easy to do with freeware such as Irfan View.