Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10d loud focusing

I recently tried the K10 and noticed that it is extremely loud when focusing. I haven't tried too many other dslrs, but is this the norm? Are other dslrs just as loud? Also, what causes this to be so loud? is it just the kit lens or the motor from the body? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I would like to know if this is really going to bother me if I decide to get it. Thanks.

01-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you used an SLR before? The AF sound is pretty typical. There are new SDM lenses that you can buy that are significantly quieter (and significantly more expensive).
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by furby Quote
I recently tried the K10 and noticed that it is extremely loud when focusing. I haven't tried too many other dslrs, but is this the norm? Are other dslrs just as loud? Also, what causes this to be so loud? is it just the kit lens or the motor from the body? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I would like to know if this is really going to bother me if I decide to get it. Thanks.
The noise comes from both the body and the lens. Sadly this is typical for screw drive AF (Nikon too) and the faster and harder the camera drives, the noiser it gets.
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Call me odd, but I have always sort of liked the AF sound and the shutter slap sound of SLR's. Something about DSLR's still doesn't quite sound finished...maybe I just miss the sound of the film advance motor.

01-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I haven't used an slr in a long time. I guess I just don't remember. However, when I tried the d40, It was significantly more quiet. I'm just concerned that if I shot a wedding or someplace quiet, it would be disctracting. Does anyone have any experience / comments about this?
01-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D40 doesn't have it's own motor drive. The drive is built into the lens, like the Pentax SDM lenses. However since it doesn't have a motor drive, any AF lense without the drive built in becomes a manual focus lens on the D40. If you were to need it to be quiet, grab an SDM lens.