Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter

The capture system just came out with a Manfrotto compatible plate. Got one for mine. Works great.

11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Forum Member

Have one, and have used it exclusively for the past 6 months or so. I generally hate camera straps, and had initially gone strap-less before getting this.

Use it with my K7 and Limiteds, largest lenses I've used on it are the FA 31 and 18-55WR, which are the largest lenses I own, and probably as large a set-up as I'd want to use it with I don't know if it would actually pair well with large-ish lenses like the DA* 16-50 for example.

At first I used it strapped to my belt, so it worked like a camera holster. But now, what I do is clip it to the straps of my shoulder bag. So the camera sits at around chest level.

Also, I find it quicker if the camera releases towards the ground. (e.g. if my shoulder bag is hanging on my left shoulder, then the Capture Clip's red release button is on the bottom left side). I think most people typically use it the other way around (i.e. The camera slots from the top, and if you release it, you pull it up)

But for some reason, it just doesn't feel right using it 'the right way up.' I don't know if I actually risk dropping the camera more by using it the opposite way, but I have had zero problems so far.
11-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Sima quick release mechanism. Yes they are plastic, but after a couple (?) decades of use, they have proved their durability. Most of all they are inexpensive enough that I can put a plate on every photo device and the quick release on every tripod. And to the point... that includes a waist strap with a 1/4-20 (tripod thread) stud.

Unless my camera is on a tripod or otherwise secured, I don't want to be carrying it without a secondary safety of some kind - typically either a neck or cross-body shoulder strap. The waist strap mounted quick release is inexpensive, fast, keeps my camera from swinging around when on the go. I can go from secured camera to my walking-stick/monopod in a couple seconds without a risk of dropping my camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ADR6300  Photo 
11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well folks seeing as I havent revisited this thread since July I noticed someone has reawakened it, so I figure I might as well use this opportunity to give a small review on it, now that I have been using it for a while.
First of all this clip system is not useable with the batterygrip attached, so forget about it.
However, this system was bought mainly for something for me to no longer worry about my camera being damaged in situations like an amusement park setting, and let me say it NEVER let me down in such setting. The first day I was at Disney world I decided to carry my camera around on the strap with the batterygrip mounted on it along with the 18-135mm lens, basically I wanted to get myself used to something to compare to once I start to use the Capture clip.
Let me start by saying I tripped over one of my family members. luggage in the dark the first night at the hotel and I basically threw out my back and so this added to the dificulty of my "camera handling" test, but I managed to stay up on my feet for this vacation no matter how much pain I was experiencing.
I learned on the first day with my set up on the strap that due to the fact that the battery grip was attached, it made the set up rather heavy and magnified the pain in my lower back, I still managed to get some good shots throughout the day, but one thing managed to be a bit agravating, and I really noticed this thing once I started to use the Capture clip because it wasn't an issue with the clip, and that is the STRAP! it was constantly in my way when I was shooting.
The next day I was at Universal Studios and was sporting the Capture clip along with the Pro Speed Belt by Think Tank, The first thing I noticed was-This set up works awesome! however I had to sacrifice the battery grip in favor of using this clip, I didn't miss the battery grip (no matter how much I loved using it the prior day)
With my bad back I hardly even noticed the belt and clip with the camera hooked on it, ya what little weight that it had got a little irritable on my back but I counteracted it by shifting the clip to my other side half of the time. When we had to move fast through large crowds the camera stayed nice and secure without flopping around, there is a small thumbscrew that you can tighten down to insure the camera stays put, so when I did go through large crowds I always tightened it up for added security.
With this set up strapped to my waist I hardly ever noticed the camera was there most of the time, heck sometimes I would have that moment that I would think for a split second that I left my camera somewhere because it wasn't strapped around my neck, I felt naked with out it lol.
One thing I had to get used to as well was holstering the camera on the quick, and if you are not used to the set up, it takes a bit of practice, for me it took about a day of practice, now I can holster the camera within a split second without even thinking about it.
I did however have a "Body Glove" wrist strap that I modified with a nice stainless steal release clip to have attached to my camera when I had it off of the clip system( there was no way I would have had no back up restraint system on this camera, after all I am known to be a clutz and drop things when I am in a hurry) and this made attaching and unattaching the camera more tedious, but worth the extra time and energy because I have YET to drop my camera)
One other thing I found handy with the Capture system was the fact that there were many rides that I took my camera on and with it clipped to my waist in that secure fashion made it so I never had to worry if I was going to lose or damage my camera, it really worked like a charm on many rides, most folks had to stow their cameras in a locker before they went on a ride.
Some folks were surprised I even had a DSLR on me because I normally had it tucked under the bottom of my Hawaiian style shirt I was wearing, they were surprised when I just lifted up the bottom of my shirt and that beautiful K-5 was sitting there in all it's glory.
The release mechanism was a breeze to use and with it tucked up behind the camera it would never inadvertantly got released, however I found it easy to remove the camera with one hand because it was laid out so that my third finger or my pinky finger had perfect access to the button all the while gripping my camera around the grip with the rest of my hand.
There was only one ride where I could not have my camera out on my Capture clip and that was Space Mountain, however there is one nice thing about the design of the K-5....IT IS SMALL, all I had to do was just break down the camera (remove the lens) put the body and lens caps on(yes I was prepared ahead of time and carried spare caps on me for just such an occasion) and put one in my right shorts pocket (I wear those cargo shorts all the time with the pockets at the outside bottom of the legs, I have learned since I got into the hobby of photography that I just couldn't do without these extra pockets, they have saved me many a time) and put the other one in the left. Off to the Space Mountain ride I went, I had absolutely no issues on the ride, it was really a good feeling that I had a full DSLR residing in just my shorts pockets!
In a nutshell I highly recommend this Capture clip system, I imagine I should go over into the "reviews" section and give the product a review. I also highly recommend that you purchase a specifically designed belt like the one I got for mine, it just adds a sense of security to the whole set up.
For those of you who think this Capture clip would dig into you when it is on your belt, I assure you I never had that problem, but I think that is why I just used it minus the battery grip, I am sure the digging would be more prominent with the added weight of the grip.
If you are on the fence deciding to get one of the Capture clips I highly suggest you get one, they are worth every penny. I haven't tried it out on a backpack strap but I am sure it would work even getter than on your belt, I am sure I will be using it on a backpack strap soon but I originally got it so that I could minimize my camera gear in a theme park situation, that is where it performed well above my expectations.
I haven't used it much since the theme parks because I haven't been able to get out in a while to go shooting, but it is always in my camera bag clipped to my new belt at the ready.
I hope this review helped you all. Here is a pic of me that my wife took at Universal Studios, I was wearing my new speed belt under my shirt that day.-

Last edited by BirdDude007; 11-17-2012 at 06:29 PM.
11-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Well folks seeing as I havent revisited this thread since July I noticed someone has reawakened it, so I figure I might as well use this opportunity to give a small review on it, now that I have been using it for a while.
First of all this clip system is not useable with the batterygrip attached, so forget about it.
However, this system was bought mainly for something for me to no longer worry about my camera being damaged in situations like an amusement park setting, and let me say it NEVER let me down in such setting. The first day I was at Disney world I decided to carry my camera around on the strap with the batterygrip mounted on it along with the 18-135mm lens, basically I wanted to get myself used to something to compare to once I start to use the Capture clip.
Let me start by saying I tripped over one of my family members. luggage in the dark the first night at the hotel and I basically threw out my back and so this added to the dificulty of my "camera handling" test, but I managed to stay up on my feet for this vacation no matter how much pain I was experiencing.
I learned on the first day with my set up on the strap that due to the fact that the battery grip was attached, it made the set up rather heavy and magnified the pain in my lower back, I still managed to get some good shots throughout the day, but one thing managed to be a bit agravating, and I really noticed this thing once I started to use the Capture clip because it wasn't an issue with the clip, and that is the STRAP! it was constantly in my way when I was shooting.
The next day I was at Universal Studios and was sporting the Capture clip along with the Pro Speed Belt by Think Tank, The first thing I noticed was-This set up works awesome! however I had to sacrifice the battery grip in favor of using this clip, I didn't miss the battery grip (no matter how much I loved using it the prior day)
With my bad back I hardly even noticed the belt and clip with the camera hooked on it, ya what little weight that it had got a little irritable on my back but I counteracted it by shifting the clip to my other side half of the time. When we had to move fast through large crowds the camera stayed nice and secure without flopping around, there is a small thumbscrew that you can tighten down to insure the camera stays put, so when I did go through large crowds I always tightened it up for added security.
One thing I had to get used to as well was holstering the camera on the quick, and if you are not used to the set up, it takes a bit of practice, for me it took about a day of practice, now I can holster the camera within a split second without even thinking about it.
I did however have a "Body Glove" wrist strap that I modified with a nice stainless steal release clip to have attached to my camera when I had it off of the clip system( there was no way I would have had no back up restraint system on this camera, after all I am known to be a clutz and drop things when I am in a hurry) and this made attaching and unattaching the camera more tedious, but worth the extra time and energy because I have YET to drop my camera)
One other thing I found handy with the Capture system was the fact that there were many rides that I took my camera on and with it clipped to my waist in that secure fashion made it so I never had to worry if I was going to lose or damage my camera, it really worked like a charm on many rides, most folks had to stow their cameras in a locker before they went on a ride.
Some folks were surprised I even had a DSLR on me because I normally had it tucked under the bottom of my Hawaiian style shirt I was wearing, they were surprised when I just lifted up the bottom of my shirt and that beautiful K-5 was sitting there in all it's glory.
The release mechanism was a breeze to use and with it tucked up behind the camera it would never inadvertantly got released, however I found it easy to remove the camera with one hand because it was laid out so that my third finger or my pinky finger had perfect access to the button all the while gripping my camera around the grip with the rest of my hand.
There was only one ride where I could not have my camera out on my Capture clip and that was Space Mountain, however there is one nice thing about the design of the K-5....IT IS SMALL, all I had to do was just break down the camera (remove the lens) put the body and lens caps on(yes I was prepared ahead of time and carried spare caps on me for just such an occasion) and put one in my right shorts pocket (I wear those cargo shorts all the time with the pockets at the outside bottom of the legs, I have learned since I got into the hobby of photography that I just couldn't do without these extra pockets, they have saved me many a time) and put the other one in the left. Off to the Space Mountain ride I went, I had absolutely no issues on the ride, it was really a good feeling that I had a full DSLR residing in just my shorts pockets!
In a nutshell I highly recommend this Capture clip system, I imagine I should go over into the "reviews" section and give the product a review. I also highly recommend that you purchase a specifically designed belt like the one I got for mine, it just adds a sense of security to the whole set up.
For those of you who think this Capture clip would dig into you when it is on your belt, I assure you I never had that problem, but I think that is why I just used it minus the battery grip, I am sure the digging would be more prominent with the added weight of the grip.
If you are on the fence deciding to get one of the Capture clips I highly suggest you get one, they are worth every penny. I haven't tried it out on a backpack strap but I am sure it would work even getter than on your belt, I am sure I will be using it on a backpack strap soon but I originally got it so that I could minimize my camera gear in a theme park situation, that is where it performed well above my expectations.
I haven't used it much since the theme parks because I haven't been able to get out in a while to go shooting, but it is always in my camera bag clipped to my new belt at the ready.
I hope this review helped you all. Here is a pic of me that my wife took at Universal Studios, I was wearing my new speed belt under my shirt that day.-

Glad it worked so well for you. It's probably buried in the thread but which belt did you use again?
11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad it worked so well for you. It's probably buried in the thread but which belt did you use again?
Here is a link for ya- Speed Belt by Think Tank
11-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Here is a link for ya- Speed Belt by Think Tank
Thank you Sir. Gotta love any company that puts on their website that they have a "No Rhetoric Warranty Policy"

I hope you back is better. Single best thing I ever did for my back (other than regular exercise) was to get rid of my wallet in my back pocket and go with a smaller one in my front pocket. Seriously good improvement for me.