Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does Anyone in Here Have This "Capture" Camera Holder?

Hey folks like the title says, I have checked out this "Capture" device, and I am rather intrigued, does anybody have one of these? if so, then how do you like it? When you ordered it how long did it take to get delivered to you?
I like the fact that it is more solid and versatile than the one found here- Black Widow Holster Kit : The Black Widow : Spider Holster, with the Capture I can attach it to any thing and I don't need to slip a belt through it to use it.
Any an all thoughts will be greatly appreciated, I am planning on ordering it tomorrow night and need it by the 20th of July, will I get it in time? or are they slow at manufacturing it and sending it?
Plus I am thinking of getting this-Pro Speed Belt by Think Tank to compliment the Capture, I will be using these items pretty heavily at amusement parks for two weeks, and I need the camera (K-5 w/18-135mm lens combo) to be as unobtrusive as possible(in other words I don't want to look too much like a tourist with my camera hanging around my neck, getting in the way of everything I do.
Thank you all.

07-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had seen it before, I think when they were raising venture capital online. It looks really good. One note I found in the reviews is that Capture is a one-way compatible product. That means that the plate that comes with it is compatible with Arca Swiss heads but Arca Swiss plates are NOT compatible with the Capture base plate. Maybe not a big deal but worth knowing.
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The pin that attaches to the camera is a deal breaker for me. No way I could comfortably cradle the camera with my left hand with that on there. You have to hold the camera by the lens itself which makes it an unstable support and hampers your ability to manipulate the zoom and focus rings.
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks pretty cool. But not really practical imo. And you might accidently drop the camera if you try to put it in or take it off the hook.

I know neck straps don't make you look pro, or maybe even not so comfortable w/ a heavy lens mounted. But to me it's still the most practical and secure way to carry cameras. A well padded shoulder strap would be my choice, and I can raise the camera and shoot w/o worry about dropping it.

07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This thread is great timing for me. I have recently been looking into some method of cradling/storing/handling a camera and long lens during shooting. I have been shooting my son's baseball games recently with a K-5 with the Sigma 100-300 f4 on it. The problem that I find myself having is that when I want to do anything else with my hands, I'm constantly trying to figure out where to safely put it down. It's just to darned heavy for a neck strap, and it's not stable either, I don't want it to swing. I'd like to be able to pick up another body with a smaller lens quickly also without having to put it down.

My first thought was a belt holster bag like the Lowepro Toploader AW75. It's nice that it will be padded, but it seems like it would be very bulky on the hip, even when the camera is not in it. Also, it won't be super quick getting the camera in and out. I put a bid on one on ebay on Friday. Then on Saturday, I stopped into a camera shop, and asked what my options were. The woman there pointed me to the Cotton Carrier system. This is the one pictured above in Frank's post. They had it on a dummy in the store. It looked perfect for me! I had never even heard of any system like it. Just what I needed. It seemed to be genious. Total accessibility to two bodies, simple secure attachment. I was ready to buy.... until the question.... how much? The answer... $189! Whoa. So, I decided to do some research first. The only problem I had with it besides the price was that it's a little obnoxious looking. Look at me, I'm Mr. pro photographer! It's the vest attachment. I still like it, and would buy it if it was $100, but I'd rather not wear an obnoxious vest if there is another alternative.

I did do some research on the internet. I found what looks to be a knock-off of the Cotton Carrier on Amazon, the Opteka MCH-25 Multi Camera Carrier Harness Holster System. Reviews are pretty good, and it's only $45. The one thing I don't like is that it does not have a hold down velcro strap to keep the rig from flopping around like the Cotton Carrier does.

I also saw the spider system that the OP mentioned. This is out for me right away because I don't like the way the camera hangs upside down, too floppy for me. Birddude, the Capture system looks very interesting. What keeps the camera locked in the holder? It looks like at one point in the video, the user twists a knob to lock it in. I guess that has it's plusses and minuses. It looks like it's easy to holster the camera, but it's also an extra step to lock it in and then unlock it when trying to remove. I do like the fact that you can clip it to whatever you like though, and you're not locked into a vest.

After all this, I wound up "winning" the ebay auction for the Lowepro AW75 on Sunday. By that time, I really wanted one of these other systems, and didn't want to win the auction, but it was a reasonable price, and can still be handy for transporting the camera with the Sigma 100-300 on it to and from location. Currently, I always have to take the big lens off when transporting.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'd love anybody's feedback and opinions.
07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I did do some research on the internet. I found what looks to be a knock-off of the Cotton Carrier on Amazon, the Opteka MCH-25 Multi Camera Carrier Harness Holster System. Reviews are pretty good, and it's only $45. The one thing I don't like is that it does not have a hold down velcro strap to keep the rig from flopping around like the Cotton Carrier does.
Adding a velcro tie down to such a setup ought to be pretty simple.
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am leaning towards the Capture system and the Think Tank belt to attach it to, for several reasons- 1) Even thought the strap idea that frank shows me looks fantastic and even very useful, it has it's place in other situations than what I am immediately in the need for. 2) I will be in a hot humid area (Florida) and I am a big sweaty guy, I mean the sweat just pours off me like Niagra Falls(another good point of having a WR camera) and if I wear a strap/harness of any kind then I will feel like I am all wrapped up in my camera strapping and thus it will make things a lot hotter and miserable for me IMO. I will be wearing loose fitting button up shirts and am planning on draping the side of my shirt over my camera sort of keeping it all out of site. 3) The capture is a solid connection that I can attach to just about any kind of belt, strap, or anything for that matter, the "Black Widow" IMO is just too loose and makes the camera all dangly and unpredictable.
I do however understand that there are several different systems and each one has it's uses, I know that I will most likely need a couple different kinds of systems in order to suit all my needs.

07-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I am leaning towards the Capture system and the Think Tank belt to attach it to, for several reasons- 1) Even thought the strap idea that frank shows me looks fantastic and even very useful, it has it's place in other situations than what I am immediately in the need for. 2) I will be in a hot humid area (Florida) and I am a big sweaty guy, I mean the sweat just pours off me like Niagra Falls(another good point of having a WR camera) and if I wear a strap/harness of any kind then I will feel like I am all wrapped up in my camera strapping and thus it will make things a lot hotter and miserable for me IMO. I will be wearing loose fitting button up shirts and am planning on draping the side of my shirt over my camera sort of keeping it all out of site. 3) The capture is a solid connection that I can attach to just about any kind of belt, strap, or anything for that matter, the "Black Widow" IMO is just too loose and makes the camera all dangly and unpredictable.
I do however understand that there are several different systems and each one has it's uses, I know that I will most likely need a couple different kinds of systems in order to suit all my needs.
I look forward to your review of the Capture System and the Think Tank Belt combo.
07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I am hoping to receive it before the end of next week when I go on vacation, otherwise I will have to wait for a couple more weeks to test it out.
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have one of the capture clips...any specific questions?

One thing to note is that it was designed specifically to be a backpack strap attachment. You can only really use it on your belt w/ shorter lenses and no flashes because it torques and digs into you even w/ a good sturdy gun belt...
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine has one - the Peak/capture device. It's made very well. I'd love to own one, but as I use Manfrotto plates and always put my camera away when not actually taking pictures, I have no need for it.
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

One thing to note is that it was designed specifically to be a backpack strap attachment. You can only really use it on your belt w/ shorter lenses and no flashes because it torques and digs into you even w/ a good sturdy gun belt...
How about using a K-5 with a 18-135mm lens? I will be mainly using it for amusement parks at first with the family, and probably most likely on a backpack strap full time. I will be at the parks for aproxamately eight days, is there going to be any issues I need to be aware of?
If I use the Black Widow system then I dont have to worry about the camera digging, but then it will flop around wildly when I walk.
If I mount the camera facing down with the Capture will that help with the torque/digging issues?
07-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
How about using a K-5 with a 18-135mm lens? I will be mainly using it for amusement parks at first with the family, and probably most likely on a backpack strap full time.
If you're using it on a backpack, you won't have issues w/ digging because it'll torque into your chest and stop...and really doesn't torque much because of the vertical strap. The 18-135 should have no issues.
The problem w/ using it on your belt like their example is your belt will flip over (no such problem w/ the backpack strap if you think about it a bit) and dig into your leg. They need some sort of backplate to prevent that from happening...I suggested this to them last year and they said they were going to release it this year as an accessory. If you do try using it on a belt, do it on a sturdy/stiff belt...forget about regular dress belts....double layer gun belt w/ internal stiffener is the minimum I'd use.

But really, use it on a backpack and you'll be fairly happy. If you have an arca swiss tripod head while you're wandering around, all the better. You can't use a regular AS plate to plug into the Capture Clip because of the locking mechanism in it...and locking mechanisms are a good thing w/ clips like this...
07-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

This is a good point. I think this is why the other systems have that backplate piece to distribute the pressure against your body.
07-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #15

My friends got me one of these as a birthday present last year.

My experiences are that it's good, but it doesn't exactly work as advertised. Although it sounds like a great idea to sling on a backpack, if your backpack's straps are thick , it is quite difficult/nearly impossible to strap it on. I can see that this is aimed at outdoors photographer who wants a camera latched on, and if it works with your backpack, I imagine it's wonderful.

I find that it's a lot more useful on sling style bags where you can attach it to the strap and it sits nicely near your waist area. However, if you sling it on the waist area, it is slightly awkward to use the neck strap that accompanies it, so perhaps it'd be good to have a different kind of safety mechanisms. If you're more into street style, walk around systems, I'd take a look at Custom SLR C-Loops, Rapidstraps as alternatives. I haven't tried them personally but I'd love to.