Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust behind viewfinder K-x

Hello

I have some dust behind the viewfinder of my K-x. I blew some air, thinking it would be a good idea...
Even though it doesn't affect the images, it's driving me nuts. Do you guys have any idea how I can get ride of this dust?

Thanks

Last edited by nicoprod; 07-24-2012 at 01:32 PM.
07-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is likely above the focusing screen, so you'd have to take that out to have a chance of getting it out. When I changed the screen in my K100D for a split prism for manual focusing I blew out the dust that was in there with my rocket blower, it stayed away for a couple months, but there is some new dust. It is unavoidable if you change lenses often.
07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

How do you take out the focusing screen? I have a couple of particles on my view finder and can't find it. I have taken the lense off and blown air in the camera on the mirror and every where. I took off the rubber around the eye piece too and nothing doing. Can't find the debris. It does not show up on my pictures so I know it is not in the camera.
Thanks for you help.
Racerdew
07-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

PENTAX K100D / K200D / K2000D / K-m / K-x / K-r Focusing Screen Installation Instruction

--Pentax K5/K7/K10D/K20D/ISTD Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--

07-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do please note that the focusing screen is very soft and delicate. Only use flat tweezers and If you touch it anywhere but on the little tab, it will scratch. Oil from your skin will not be removable, because it can't be wiped clean without mashing the little raised ribs.
I reckon either learn to live with it, or proceed with extreme caution! A replacement is about $60...
I use the cross lined mattes in my cameras because I hate sloping horizons. The little tweezers you get in the replacement kit are nothing like the tweezers you buy at the chemist. They are flat and hold the screen with very little pressure and are spring loaded closed to avoid dropping the screen.

Last edited by calsan; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.
07-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Removing the screen is pretty easy. I use a dental pick to carefully trip the latch and rubber-tipped plastic tweezers to handle the screen by the tab. I also wear latex rubber or vinyl gloves for handling the screen by the edges. I've had my screens in & out countless times while calibrating them & never had an issue. Just pop the screen out, and hit the open chamber with some air from the rocket blower and blow the screen off with air before replacing. No biggie.

Cheers & good luck,
Bobbo :-)
07-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I use the cross lined mattes in my cameras because I hate sloping horizons.
If I can just hijack this thread for one second please?

Do you use the official Pentax cross lined mattes or third party ones? If third party, which?

I'm looking to get something like this to assist with my real estate photography work.

Thank you.

Now back to the regularly scheduled posts.
07-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody!
I just finished cleaning the focusing screen... It shows a very fine scratch though but I think I can live with it. It doesn't affect the focusing performance or the IQ right? (I just ran some test and it doesn't seem to). Thanks.

07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Thanks everybody!
I just finished cleaning the focusing screen... It shows a very fine scratch though but I think I can live with it. It doesn't affect the focusing performance or the IQ right? (I just ran some test and it doesn't seem to). Thanks.
The scratch shouldn't make any real difference to the camera.

It will continue to irritate the ______ out of you though, everytime you look at it.
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
If I can just hijack this thread for one second please?

Do you use the official Pentax cross lined mattes or third party ones? If third party, which?
Pentax!
07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #11

Thanks Elliott for the link with the how to instructions. I didn't know that focus screen came out. I will take a look at it. That was very helpful information.

Racerdew
07-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The scratch shouldn't make any real difference to the camera.
It will continue to irritate the ______ out of you though, everytime you look at it.
My white K-x has a KatzEye screen in it that was installed by a previous owner, who I can only assume was Captain Hook. LOTS of scratches around the edges of that sucker. But it works, it's a great screen, and it doesn't really bug me.

In the course of calibrating screens in 4 cameras so far, I've had the screens in & out too many times to count. Haven't scratched or damaged one yet, though. (probably just jinxed myself, eh?)
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
In the course of calibrating screens in 4 cameras so far, I've had the screens in & out too many times to count. Haven't scratched or damaged one yet, though. (probably just jinxed myself, eh?)
I shall look forward (with trepidation and foreboding) to your next post entitled "Ah, Crap, I scratched my focusing screen!!!"
07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Thanks everybody!
So putting up with the dust may have been the better option...
07-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
So putting up with the dust may have been the better option...
Has been for me