Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D Shake Reduction and Tripod

The owner's manual Page 68 states :Caution : Be sure to turn off the shake reduction when using the camera with a tripod.
This implies possible damage or settings adjustment if SR left on.
I can see times when SR with a tripod would be valuable like on windy days at night.
Do we know why there is a "Caution"?

Last edited by Ian Mc; 12-30-2006 at 02:10 PM.
12-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i think sr can make the picture worse.. or be of negative value where no camera shake is involved which is why they say turn it off.. they assume no shake with a tripod..

just my guess.. i could be wrong..

trog
12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
K10D Shake Reduction and Tripod.

Thanks Trog100 appreciate your prompt reply.
Unfortunately being rather a pedantic chap I interpret the word "caution" as "danger,danger !!!'
Apologies to Dr Who.LOL.
Ian Mc
12-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I asked the same question of a friend of mine with VR lenses for his Nikon. They too advise one to turn off the VR when on a tripod. His explaination is that it poses an unnecessary drain on the battery.

Also remember that the original manuals are written in Japanese and it may be a language/translation thing.

12-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #5

Yah.. there's no physical or technical danger inherent with using SR on a tripod.. it's just that it isn't optimal for tripod use, and your images will actually be *less* crisp with SR on. (due to the fact that the camera *isn't* shaking*.

Wind causing shake is something that would take some testing I think.. but I don't think it's the same thing as hand-held shake. Just buy a heavier/better tripod
12-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I leave my SR on all the time.

In real life, I only deliberately turned SR off when I realised the images were soft taken on tripods. Otherwise, I seldomly turned it off. Maybe my tripods are as restless as me, constant on the move...
12-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
SR and Tripod

Thank you for all your replies.
I now understand that it something to do with sensor movement and magnetic fields.
Here is a url: Image Stabilization on Tripods
Interesting though that roentarre has left SR on tripod shots with only the softening of pix.Most re-assuring.
Cheers: Ian Mc
12-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually there are occasions that floor might have vibrated due to cars passing by or people walking with heavy stampede , grass movement in a windy day or uneven terrain that wobbles the tripod...

I sometimes experience the camera shake even it was sitting on the tripod with SR turned off...

Whatever works works

12-31-2006, 03:39 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
YWind causing shake is something that would take some testing I think.. but I don't think it's the same thing as hand-held shake. Just buy a heavier/better tripod
If wind is causing problems when you use a tripod, I would like to suggest you to buy a new, more sturdily built one. Or search a shelter from that hurricane
12-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I accidentally shot about 200 tripod shots last night with SR on. Although they are probably a little soft, with some smart sharpening in PS, you wouldn't know it. I think, in most cases, the negative effects are very subtle rather than overt blurriness.

-Alan