Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k7 focus point indicators are gone

so my camera hit the ground hard and now my focus point indicators are gone, or more specifically some are gone, but the ones around the center are gone, and those are the ones i use. its not a big deal. but do anybody know if there is a fix for this or do i just have to bite the dust and bring it in to a vendor for fixing

07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indeo Quote
so my camera hit the ground hard and now my focus point indicators are gone, or more specifically some are gone, but the ones around the center are gone, and those are the ones i use. its not a big deal. but do anybody know if there is a fix for this or do i just have to bite the dust and bring it in to a vendor for fixing
First, reset all the camera setting to default
I would take the battery out overnight and see if it resets it's self. If that doesn't do it, try re-installing the firmware.

hope you fix it,

randy
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You maybe have it set up to center point focusing, try changing the switch or through the menu (depending on your camera body) to do multiple point focusing.
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
im sorry i should have written this, i know they dont because when using select focus point the three center points dont light up i viewfinder but the others do

07-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure about in the K-7 menu but in the K-5 under the Custom menu 2 the bottom option, #14, Superimpose AF Area can be switched on or off. It sounds like it was accidentally turned off for you somehow.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-14-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
07-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As TomTextura says, the AF point indicators have probably just been turned off in the menu.

But if the superimposed AF points stuff is broken,, then maybe learn to live without visible focus points in the viewfinder? As long as your AF still works, you may not be missing much.

After all, the K-x doesn't have any visible focus points, yet it still works fine as a camera.
07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Not sure about in the K-7 menu but in the K-5 under the Custom menu 2 the bottom option, #14, Superimpose AF Area can be switched on or off. It sounds like it was accidentally turned off for you somehow.
to quote myself. the post right over yours "using select focus point the three center points dont light up i viewfinder but the others do"

i have lived with it for some time, but thought i might just ask around here if by chance i F... up.

btw superimpose on k7 is on C #15. its on.

07-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indeo Quote
to quote myself. the post right over yours "using select focus point the three center points dont light up i viewfinder but the others do"
I wasn't sure that ruled out the possibility of having the AF points turned off.

What a strange problem. I guess you might have to send it in for service or just keep living with it. Either way, it's a bummer.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-15-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simmilar but opposite thing happened to my K-7. I have the outer focus points, but have lost the central indicators. I too dropped the camera some time before this phenomena became apparant. I only use the K-7 as a back up body these days, (and thats a rare event recently) so I just learned to live with it. I guess I should send it in for repair.....

I wrote about my experienes at the time https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106285-strange-cas...us-points.html