Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The Bomb Huh?

OK, so I've been glued to this forum for the last couple weeks like many other Pentaxians in eager anticipation of what was touted by Ben K as "the Bomb", "on par with Canon Mark 1D III & Nikon D300", etc.
All the hype leading up to the annoncement had me thinking for sure a K1D pro-model body was going to be released. Don't get me wrong I think the K20D will be a great camera, but the "Bomb", with the same AF system and frame rate as the K10D? I'm just not feeling that.
The several year old Canon 20D had superior AF and fps. The new Pentax seems to come no where near close to the performance of a Mark 1D III ; maybe IQ wise it might. But for me the biggest problem I have with the K10D is its sluggishnes in the AF and frame rate performance.
It has caused me to miss many captures in my birding and wildlife photography. The 21 fps at 1.6MB images seems like a joke to me. My iPhone takes higher res images than that. How big of a print will we be able to make from those shots?
Yeah I'll likely get the K20D and not be satisfied until a pro-model body is released, but to be built up like it was I too am a bit dissapointed. I guess I'll hold final reservation until I can see how the resolution is on some of my FA* lenses.

JayT

01-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Moved to appropriate area.
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To play devil's advocate, one option would be to use 2-brand system. Grab a used 20D or a 30D and a couple of long lenses for wildlife. I know a few people in the minolta camp who did that because of a lack of economical long glass in the alpha mount. Use the strengths of the pentax...portraiture, low light, wide angle, IQ sensitive shoots, and use the canon gear for the quick AF and FPS.
01-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Igilligan

Finally a good idea...

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
To play devil's advocate, one option would be to use 2-brand system. Grab a used 20D or a 30D and a couple of long lenses for wildlife. I know a few people in the minolta camp who did that because of a lack of economical long glass in the alpha mount. Use the strengths of the pentax...portraiture, low light, wide angle, IQ sensitive shoots, and use the canon gear for the quick AF and FPS.
Instead of wasting money on another pentax with funky focus tracking... I keep my K100d for what it does best... And get a little nikon D300 for the action shots of the kids...
Best advice I have heard all day... What was I thinking, spending that kind of dough on a camera that may have the same AF/buffer issues as my 350 dollar K100d.

You are right the two camera system may be the way to go.

-gus-

01-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
My iPhone takes higher res images than that. How big of a print will we be able to make from those shots?
Yes your iphone with it's crappy senzor, crappy optics, crappy bokeh, crappy speed, crappy iso crappy exposure, crappy focus, takes higher images To bad though, the images from the iphone or even other normal camera will look shitty compared to the very sharp images taken at 21 fps by the DSLR, noise free even at very high iso due to in camera resampling and good sensor/optics, even if it's only at ~1500x1100 pixels.
01-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

That is why I have a 20D and a K10D. Both have their places unfortunately. I would rather have one system do it all...but that hasn't happened yet.
01-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I have done just that.

I use my K10D (and the old MX) for "old school" manual photography with my SMC MF lenses as far as you can with a DSLR, while the Canon 40D is wonderful for sports, birds and such when I want to use AF.

I will keep both.

Last edited by matsoberg; 01-26-2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: mis spelling